24 replies to this topic

#21 Jeff Johnson

Jeff Johnson

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:56 AM

I visited St. Gregory Palamas Monastery for a few days in 2004 and '05. I agree with what has been said regarding the "impersonality" of the monks. But then again, they're monks, not the night hostess at Denny's. And I understand that monks at various points in their lives will be under obedience to not talk or engage other people. Fr. Ian was quite nice to me, I think that's him name, anyways, and we had a few chats here and there. Fr. Michael was likewise very kind to me. He's originally from my neck of the woods and met him when he visited our parish in Sioux Falls. The next year I went there he was away, and I got to know now Hieroschemamonk Ambrose quite well, and found him to be a kindle, gentle man. The church is beautiful, and I loved the services as well, which are thankfully almost all in English, at least they were at that time.

Compared to St. Anthony's in Florence, I found I preferred the smaller and less ethnic atmosphere of St. Gregory's. I was a bit scandalized at the time that women weren't made to cover their heads, but whatever... St. Gregory P Monastery comes highly recommended on my part.

#22 kshaft

kshaft

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

The impression I got from the monastery is that it is the real deal. Perhaps not as exacting on some things like getting rid of cathechumens after the Liturgy of the Word and an absolute obedience to women left men right discipline, Id imagine its pretty much in line with the Ephraimian Monasteries.

#23 David Seraphim

David Seraphim

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

Are the services at St. Gregory's in Greek or English?

#24 George Vatsis

George Vatsis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

Services are mixed (or were when I last went there about 3 years ago) in Greek & English.

#25 Loucas

Loucas

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:20 PM

I like the response from Hermen, I have book marked thier web-site a long time ago. I site does not change or get updated much, the story of the Monestary says it all. They are a Monestary and that life is thier focus. They do have an on line book store and I believe that as well as loving donations from the faithful, notice the place on the home page for donations, is thier primary income.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users