#21 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:55 PM

Dear Nina,

The normal pattern (in academic English, at least)
INXC, Dcn Matthew

In other languages as well. There is even Italian with italic Latin words. :)

#22 Mary

Mary

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

In other languages as well. There is even Italian with italic Latin words.

Interesting. I thought Italian would have to Always be in Italics!

I found some more, most expressive yellow heads. But it seems I need the special permission from the administrator to post all of them at once. I could just do six at time and prolong the agony... (to those who don't really love smilies as much as I do...Posted Image)

Fr Matthew, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE your Poem about smilies!! Posted Image

(Is there a smilie to say that I'm done?)

How about this one: Posted Image

A few feminine yellow heads for Nina: Posted Image Posted Image

That's me and Nina on the phone - everything else has to wait while we talk for one more minute... Posted Image Good thing we don't talk everyday, or even every week, eh!? =)

#23 Mary

Mary

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:27 PM

Oh, they actually move! How totally delightful!! Posted Image

I love Monachos and I love my cyberfriends here! Posted Image

I miss Paul C. He would've enjoyed this thread! Posted Image Posted Image

I wonder if we can keep it going till he gets back? Posted Image

Oh dear! Six smilies, are just not enough to say everything I want to say! Posted Image

#24 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:00 PM

Interesting. I thought Italian would have to Always be in Italics!

Giggles... Yes, that is the heart of it! I mean look at the boot, it looks tilted like Italic (the opposite direction though).

Thank you for all the smilies and can you find some feminine ones with hair please?

Of course we can revive the thread when Paul comes back (loved the crying cryliey). But I would like you to find more smilies when you can, and also all the poets here to post some more of their beautiful verses. I loved them too and it was a pleasant surprise to read them all.

#25 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:04 PM

That's me and Nina on the phone - everything else has to wait while we talk for one more minute... Posted Image Good thing we don't talk everyday, or even every week, eh!? =)

Giggles... Of course! We cherish our phone time! Giggles...

#26 Mary

Mary

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:13 PM

We definitely could do with more Poems. Another unsurveyed observation: Men seem to be better at coming up with good on-the-spot poems. That could either mean that men are better poets or that all the good women poets don't join online forums... Or, it could mean nothing at all.

Nina - hair will spoil a perfectly round yellow head. Don't you know, that God only made so many perfect heads, and the rest, He covered up with hair? Posted Image

How about some Orthodox Yellow Heads?

Posted Image - Greet one another with a holy kiss

Posted Image - Pray without ceasing

Posted Image - When's Great Lent? Isn't it time for some prostrations?

Posted Image Honest, I didn't eat any meat, not even dairy!

Posted Image "Laughter is foolish. And what does pleasure accomplish?" (Ecc 2:2)

#27 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:26 PM

Gracious. This is an agony beyond words...

#28 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:28 PM

We definitely could do with more Poems. Another unsurveyed observation: Men seem to be better at coming up with good on-the-spot poems. That could either mean that men are better poets or that all the good women poets don't join online forums... Or, it could mean nothing at all.

Mary, for us who are deficient in creating verses, there is always internet. My fiance wrote a poem for his father's birthday with the help of a rhyme website. It was very beautiful and all other parents went home after the party and started complaining to their children about their lack of poetry skills and creativity. They resented that they never received a poem as dedication from their children.

Nina - hair will spoil a perfectly round yellow head. Don't you know, that God only made so many perfect heads, and the rest, He covered up with hair? Posted Image

My mom had the most beautiful hair ever. And of course the shape of her head was very beautiful also. This was obvious, but when she lost her hair from chemo, it was obvious even more. Although I always lamented the lost beautiful hair of my mom... I guess that's why lately I have developed a distaste for bald smilies...

Posted Image "Laughter is foolish. And what does pleasure accomplish?" (Ecc 2:2)

Ok. That's why I tried to make this post sad.

#29 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

Additional tongue-in-cheek . . .
(if you know who Andy Rooney from 60 Mins. is, try to hear his voice as you read this)

Why do people seem to always get annoyed so easily these days? That really annoys me. I mean come on now, a manual of style or a monachos styleguide? Will we be graded next on our posts? Will we have to have our parents come in for conferences now? Or come to think of it why stop there? Let's shoot the works with this and go where no discussion community has gone before. Let's all vote on the proper way to speak when we write. For example, if I would ask the question why did the chicken cross the road we would get a variety of responses based on a persons background, culture, training, and experience . . . right? But, they can't all be right can they? Don't all of them except one have to be wrong? Maybe If I would ask Deacon Matthew why the chicken crossed the road he would respond by saying:

"The confluence of events in the cultural gestalt necessitated that individual chickens cross roads at this historical juncture, and therefore synchronicitously brought such occurrences into being."

and who could argue with that? Or, possibly another member would say:

"Although I voted to let the chicken cross the road I am now against it!"

Or, possibly Father Raphael would weigh in on this and share:

"Whether the chicken crossed the road or the road crossed the chicken depends upon your frame of reference."

Or, Owen J.:

"To die. In the rain."

Or, Andreas;

"In my day, we didn't ask why the chicken crossed the road. Someone told us that the chicken had crossed the road, and that was good enough for us."

Or, Herman:

The question is not "Why did the chicken cross the road?" but is rather "Who was crossing the road at the same time whom we overlooked in our haste to observe the chicken crossing?"

Or, Jetavan:

"Because if you gaze too long across the road, the road gazes also across you."

Or, maybe even me:

"It didn't cross the road; it transcended the road (and this dualistic way of thinking.)"

And, if we asked a question like this then we could all vote on which style annoys us the least. And, then we could all try to write in accordance with that one style. And, if everything goes just right, in the end at least some of us would not have to be annoyed as much as we are now, and it seems like this would have to make the world a better place! Yes, as John Lennon said, Imagine all the people living for today . . . ahh, nevermind, this whole idea is starting to annoy me.

PS If interested in more options to answer the question why did the chicken cross the road search under:' why did the chicken quotes.' You may find a better one there which represents your own personal style.

#30 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:47 PM

Dn. M.C. Steenberg dared write:

Our real intentions will leap of the screen;

That should be leap off the screen.

Humphh. Cant evin spell write.

:rolleyes:

#31 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:04 PM

Dn. M.C. Steenberg dared write:

Humphh. Cant evin spell write.

:rolleyes:

I do not usually LOL, however from this post and some words from Rick's.... LOL.

Qs to Rick: Did the chicken really cross the road? How did the chicken escape from the farm? Where is the farmer? Did he tend to the fence? Is the chicken Orthodox? I mean does it belong to an Orthodox farmer? Is he on monachos? Mary are there more questions left so we can analyze the case even further? Now I have to go because my course 'Problems in Evidence' is starting soon.

#32 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:09 PM

Aha, caught out!

#33 Mary

Mary

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:21 PM

LOL! Looks like we're gearing up for a really long weekend, and the fun has already begun. Posted Image Posted Image

Gracious. This is an agony beyond words...

Posted Image Should I quite while I'm a head?
Posted Image Or should I continue to torment our Gracious Host?

Posted Image Making decisions is the hardest thing for me to do...

And I usually make the wrong choices. Posted Image

#34 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:29 PM

For example, if I would ask the question why did the chicken cross the road we would get a variety of responses based on a persons background, culture, training, and experience . . . right?

There does not seem to be a consensus among the experts, since according to ChickenJoke.com, Louis Armstrong said "If you have to ask why chickens cross roads you'll never know", while Gene Roddenberry said "To boldly go where no chicken has gone before"; however, according to the chicken page at eserver.com, Karl Marx said "It was an historical inevitability", though Plato says it did so "for the greater good"; on the other hand, at Ms. Effie's Lifesavers, we read that David Hume claimed it was "out of custom and habit" while Epicurus claimed it was "for fun". There are still other and different opinions on these pages, plus similar varieties of opinion to be found at the chicken pages on Weirdity.com, Baetzler.de, and the blog Al-Ajawid. Finally, I have not been able to find any official Orthodox position on this question.

In humor,
Mike

#35 Celinda Grace

Celinda Grace

Retired member, no longer active on forum

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:36 PM

HELP My husband has been torturing my poor humor impaired brain all morning with this thread and now I am being forced to listen to endless chicken jokes from every conceivable web site in existence. :eek:

#36 Seda S.

Seda S.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:16 PM

LOL! Looks like we're gearing up for a really long weekend, and the fun has already begun. Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Should I quite while I'm a head?
Posted Image Or should I continue to torment our Gracious Host?

Posted Image Making decisions is the hardest thing for me to do...

And I usually make the wrong choices. Posted Image

When I first entered this community, I thought 'Monachos' should have been changed into 'Theologos'. Then I started to think that I was the most unsuitable and unserious person here. Now I wonder why the womankind is permitted to enter this community at all.

#37 Mary

Mary

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:21 PM

LOL =)

Posted Image - Celinda's humorless brain

Posted Image - Mike and Rick enjoying Chicken jokes

Posted Image - Fr Raphael looking for spelling mistakes.

Posted Image - one more hairless female head for Nina for whenever she needs to write 'giggles'

Posted Image - Me - totally out of ideas before I've run out of Yellow Heads

Posted Image - Fr Dcn Matthew thinking it's time to expel me from Monachos

#38 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:28 PM

LOL =)

Posted Image - Celinda's humorless brain

Posted Image - Mike and Rick enjoying Chicken jokes

Posted Image - Fr Raphael looking for spelling mistakes.

Posted Image - one more hairless female head for Nina for whenever she needs to write 'giggles'

Posted Image - Me - totally out of ideas before I've run out of Yellow Heads

Posted Image - Fr Dcn Matthew thinking it's time to expel me from Monachos

Laughing but not out loud...

And you Mary give the hair to Dcn. M to waste them because of you, and you do not give them to me???

Also what is up with the giggle smiley? She looks more like she is trembling than giggling; and so timid!

I am joking. You are the best for such funny yellow heads you are providing.

#39 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:31 PM

Seda, learn to live with womankind on monachos. And in fact you were the one who asked for the smilies not to be disabled. :P

Anthony? Where are you? I liked your giggle smiley better. You need to help Mary.

#40 Mary

Mary

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:34 PM

When I first entered this community, I thought 'Monachos' should have been changed into 'Theologos'. Then I started to think that I was the most unsuitable and unserious person here. Now I wonder why the womankind is permitted to enter this community at all.

Posted Image - Excuse me, Seda. But "Mary" is officially part of womankind.

Posted Image - Seda, wondering why womankind has been permitted to enter this community

Posted Image - Am I talking too much?

Posted Image - Is the visual noise becoming unbearable?

Posted Image - Ok. Bye.

Posted Image - I hope I'm still a member when I come back later!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users