27 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

In another post, Nina said something about how we should make a thread about holy places in the US (and Canada, Mexico, etc). Well, here is the thread!

Holy Archangels Monastery, Kendalia, TX : They have relics of Elder Joseph, several modern Greek saints, a piece of the Precious Cross, etc. In addition, several miracles have taken place here, including appearances of saints, healing of diseases, and the miraculous intercessions of the Panagia after prayers before her icon (in particular, my own home parish has had many extraordinary things happen after pilgrimages here).

#2 Father Anthony

Father Anthony

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:30 PM

In another post, Nina said something about how we should make a thread about holy places in the US (and Canada, Mexico, etc). Well, here is the thread!

Holy Archangels Monastery, Kendalia, TX : They have relics of Elder Joseph, several modern Greek saints, a piece of the Precious Cross, etc. In addition, several miracles have taken place here, including appearances of saints, healing of diseases, and the miraculous intercessions of the Panagia after prayers before her icon (in particular, my own home parish has had many extraordinary things happen after pilgrimages here).

Andrew,

I can say the same would apply to just about every Orthodox monastery I have been to so far. Each has graciously allowed me to venerate the relics that they have been entrusted with. With each monastic community, I have left feeling the presence of God and felt uplifted and have seen many things attributed to only God's hand.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

#3 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:04 PM

I just read about this miraculous icon of St. Anna that is somewhere in PA - I think. I do not remember the website though and can not find the email I received. Maybe Father David can tell us.

#4 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:32 PM

Hope this thread turn out to be a "Holy Place"!

Each Holy Place that is sought out, with a desire to find a little more of the Presence of the Holy One reveals a little spark of the Holiness of God through miraculous icons, relics of the saints, inspired elders, both men and women. Pilgrimage offers a vehicle in pursuing "Holy Places". This has been so, since the beginning of time.

Personally I have visited a few Monasteries -- Transfiguration in Elwood City, St. Anthony's in Arizona, St. Nectarius' in Rosco, N.Y., Transfiguration and Holy Nativity in Brookline, MA, besides the Monasteries and Churches visited in France and Italy. In all of these "places" I have found a little more of the Holiness of God-Present in our midst.

My parish Church is for me a "Holy Place"! There God is Present in the Sanctuary/Holy of Holies! Through the icons of the Saints, in the Holy Liturgy, and other services, and in the love shown to one another at trapeza and otherwise.

All of this pilgrimaging outwardly to specific places is for me each time a furthur invitation to undertake again and again the "inner pilgrimage of the heart," that more fully the Holiness of God be perceived as Living and compassionate, unveiling and transforming all that needs to be alterred within the "holy place within".

marie_duquette

#5 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

I just read about this miraculous icon of St. Anna that is somewhere in PA - I think. I do not remember the website though and can not find the email I received. Maybe Father David can tell us.

The myrrhstreaming icon of St Anna is from the parish of our Lady (Joy of All Who Sorrow) in Philadelphia, PA. Their website is here. The rector of the parish, Archim. Afanassy has had a particular devotion to St Anna stemming from her miraculous help in surviving a childhood accident. I have had the opportunity to venerate this icon when it made a visit to the Holy Virgin Cathedral in San Francisco earlier this year.

Fr David Moser

#6 Deacon John Martin

Deacon John Martin

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:16 AM

Here in Hawaii we have been blessed with two myrrh-streaming icons which also visited California several weeks ago. Their story is here.

#7 Leonard

Leonard

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for these wonderful links.

I was a life-long Pentecostal Minister who came to Sacramentality rather later in life than most of you, I am sure. I've only been in this Way for about 20 years.

I'm sure you will all think me as ignorant as a radish, but while I have seen Roman Catholic paintings and statues which seem to seep blood, I had never heard of this wonderful manifestation of Myrrh from Icons.

One of our old friends in the Pentecostal Ministry has the manifestation of the scent of roses often during special Prayer Services, but when I think how my Pentecostal friends have impoverished their spiritual lives by not keeping Icons, I am truly sorry for them, and grateful to God for the walk He has sent me on!

#8 Nicolaj

Nicolaj

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for these wonderful links.

I was a life-long Pentecostal Minister who came to Sacramentality rather later in life than most of you, I am sure. I've only been in this Way for about 20 years.

I'm sure you will all think me as ignorant as a radish, but while I have seen Roman Catholic paintings and statues which seem to seep blood, I had never heard of this wonderful manifestation of Myrrh from Icons.

One of our old friends in the Pentecostal Ministry has the manifestation of the scent of roses often during special Prayer Services, but when I think how my Pentecostal friends have impoverished their spiritual lives by not keeping Icons, I am truly sorry for them, and grateful to God for the walk He has sent me on!

Well there are good reasons why the statues and the pictures of the romans do bleed!

And also why ours do spent Myrrh!

Christos voskrese! Nicolaj

#9 Linda

Linda

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:36 AM

"The Sitka Icon of the Mother of God Located at
the Cathedral of St Michael the Archangel in Sitka,
Alaska is one of the most revered Icons in North
America: the Sitka Mother of God."

Sitka Icon history

#10 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:47 AM

"The Sitka Icon of the Mother of God Located at
the Cathedral of St Michael the Archangel in Sitka,
Alaska ...

I will also add here that the whole city of Sitka has the aura that I can only describe as "God blessed" (as in the God blessed city of Sitka). When you visit, you wake up in the morning knowing that this is a special place. No matter what you do or where you go, the Cathedral is the center of everything. The residence and chapel of St Innocent is truly wonderful. Everything about the city wears the mantle of divine grace that comes from the long residence of St Innocent and from being the center of his spiritual labors on behalf of the Alaskan people. This is truly one place in North America worthy of a pilgrimage.

Fr David Moser

#11 Mary James

Mary James

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:35 PM

St. Anthony's Greek Orthodox Monastery in Arizona. Go there, and you will see a living Saint named Elder Ephraim.

#12 Matthew Namee

Matthew Namee

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Cathedral in New York City was built under the direction of St. Tikhon, and its former dean was St. Alexander Hotovitzky. Other saints who served there include St. Raphael of Brooklyn and St. John Kochurov. They have a wonderful icon of Sts. Tikhon and Alexander, and a large collection of relics available for veneration. St. Nicholas Cathedral is now the representation cathedral of the Moscow Patriarchate in America.

I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned, but Joy of All Who Sorrow Cathedral (ROCOR) in San Francisco has the incorrupt relics of St. John of San Francisco. It's also among the most beautiful Orthodox churches in America. I believe they also have the office of St. John nearby, kept in the same condition as when he was alive... I've never seen it, but I know others who have visited the office.

Also in San Francisco, the OCA cathedral, Holy Trinity, has a set of vestments worn by St. Tikhon. They weren't on display when I visited in 2002, but the priest brought them out for us to venerate. The OCA's cathedral in Chicago (also Holy Trinity) has one of St. Tikhon's omophorions (omophoria?) in a glass frame for veneration. The Chicago cathedral was built while St. John Kochurov was the cathedral dean (the famous architect Louis Sullivan designed it).

Another exceptionally beautiful church is St. Paul's Cathedral (Greek) in Hempstead, NY. Its walls are covered entirely in mosaics, so much so that the interior glimmers. They have two weeping icons of the Mother of God.

Edited by Matthew Namee, 09 February 2008 - 05:45 PM.
Addition to post

#13 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

Another Holy Place that has not yet been mentioned is the Holy Virgin Cathedral in San Francisco where rest the relics of the Wonderworker Archbishop John of Shanghai and San Francisco. Should you go there, also visit the "Old" Holy Virgin Cathdral (which was where St John served) and his residence at the St Tikhon's Orphanage which he founded (it is now the diocesan offices - but his cell is preserved and the Church is still a functioning parish). At the Cathedral, those who were there sometime prior to 2000 will also have seen a (then) living saint, Archbishop Anthony who was ruling bishop of the diocese until his death

Still yet another Holy Place is Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville NY. There rest the remains of Archbishop Anthony (mentioned above) as well as many other hierarchs of great spiritual stature (not the least among these is Metropolitan Philaret).

Both of these places are truly worthy of pilgrimage and profitable to the soul.

Fr David Moser

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:05 AM

Another Holy Place that has not yet been mentioned is the Holy Virgin Cathedral in San Francisco where rest the relics of the Wonderworker Archbishop John of Shanghai and San Francisco. Should you go there, also visit the "Old" Holy Virgin Cathdral (which was where St John served) and his residence at the St Tikhon's Orphanage which he founded (it is now the diocesan offices - but his cell is preserved and the Church is still a functioning parish). At the Cathedral, those who were there sometime prior to 2000 will also have seen a (then) living saint, Archbishop Anthony who was ruling bishop of the diocese until his death

Still yet another Holy Place is Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville NY. There rest the remains of Archbishop Anthony (mentioned above) as well as many other hierarchs of great spiritual stature (not the least among these is Metropolitan Philaret).

Both of these places are truly worthy of pilgrimage and profitable to the soul.

Fr David Moser

I've read that the relics of Metropolitan Philaret are incorrupt... is this true?

The faithful of ROCOR are very blessed to have had so many saintly hierarchs!

#15 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:29 AM

I've read that the relics of Metropolitan Philaret are incorrupt... is this true?

The faithful of ROCOR are very blessed to have had so many saintly hierarchs!

So I have been told - I don't know this for sure one way or another.

Fr David Moser

#16 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

Somewhere on the 'net are pictures of Metropolitan Philaret of New York--incorrupt for all to see.

Another holy place is St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church in Cicero, IL. There's a weeping icon of the Mother of God there.

Also, St. Tikhon's Monastery in South Canaan has the relics of St. Alexis Toth and several other relics.

There's a large collection of relics at St. Isaac's Skete in Boscobel, WI, too.

#17 Marie A.

Marie A.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

I am not sure if this belongs here but I am reppening this thread because we are hoping to go to San Francisco to venerate the relics of St. John of San Francisco. I just wanted to know if anyone had additional information that would be helpful for our trip....even hotels that are close by the Cathedral that would be good to stay at or anything else .

Thanks for your help! In Christ,
Marie

#18 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

I am not sure if this belongs here but I am reppening this thread because we are hoping to go to San Francisco to venerate the relics of St. John of San Francisco. I just wanted to know if anyone had additional information that would be helpful for our trip....even hotels that are close by the Cathedral that would be good to stay at or anything else .

The cathedral is not open all hours of the day - so it is best to go to venerate the relics in conjunction with the daily services. Your best opportunity would to go to the 8am liturgy and then after the service ask the serving priest to say a molieben for you at the relics (be prepared to give him an extra offering for his time). You may not be the only one requesting this service and so you may have to wait a bit. The bookstore and the candle kiosk at the cathedral both have vials of the oil from the lampada at the relics which you may request free of charge. The bookstore is closed on Monday so if you want to browse there, don't go Monday. Also the bookstore is generally closed during services so don't plan to skip out early and shop for books.

I don't generally stay in hotels as I have a number of friends in the area with whom I can stay so I can't really suggest anything in that realm.

Fr David Moser

#19 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:01 AM

The myrrhstreaming icon of St Anna is from the parish of our Lady (Joy of All Who Sorrow) in Philadelphia, PA. Their website is here. The rector of the parish, Archim. Afanassy has had a particular devotion to St Anna stemming from her miraculous help in surviving a childhood accident. I have had the opportunity to venerate this icon when it made a visit to the Holy Virgin Cathedral in San Francisco earlier this year.

I have read, on the parish's website, that the icon has ceased to weep myrrh since 2007. The Agafangel people are eager to point out that this was not long after the ROCOR-MP reunion; there are also claims, from the same camp, that the icon wept blood when Met. Laurus visited the parish, and that this event was "covered up" by +Laurus. I'm wondering if our ROCOR priests here can provide some sort of "inside scoop" on this.

#20 Marie A.

Marie A.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:54 PM

The cathedral is not open all hours of the day - so it is best to go to venerate the relics in conjunction with the daily services. Your best opportunity would to go to the 8am liturgy and then after the service ask the serving priest to say a molieben for you at the relics (be prepared to give him an extra offering for his time). You may not be the only one requesting this service and so you may have to wait a bit. The bookstore and the candle kiosk at the cathedral both have vials of the oil from the lampada at the relics which you may request free of charge. The bookstore is closed on Monday so if you want to browse there, don't go Monday. Also the bookstore is generally closed during services so don't plan to skip out early and shop for books.

I don't generally stay in hotels as I have a number of friends in the area with whom I can stay so I can't really suggest anything in that realm.

Fr David Moser

Father Bless,

Thank you so much for the information. It will be helpful.

In Christ,
Marie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users