• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Brad Simmons

Brad Simmons

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:54 PM

This is the site of the first Orthodox seminary in North America. St. Alexis Toth served this church for a time.

http://www.stmarysoca.org/about.html

#22 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:05 PM

The myrrhstreaming icon of St Anna is from the parish of our Lady (Joy of All Who Sorrow) in Philadelphia, PA. Their website is here. The rector of the parish, Archim. Afanassy has had a particular devotion to St Anna stemming from her miraculous help in surviving a childhood accident. I have had the opportunity to venerate this icon when it made a visit to the Holy Virgin Cathedral in San Francisco earlier this year.

Fr David Moser

Father David, your blessings. Thank you for this info. I am so glad you provided us with it. All I can say: Amazing icon, church and priest. :)

#23 Laura W.

Laura W.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

No one has mentioned the myrrh streaming icon of the Theotokos in Chicago - can anyone tell me about that? My husband has agreed to take me on a pilgrimage for my 30th birthday, which is next year!

#24 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

No one has mentioned the myrrh streaming icon of the Theotokos in Chicago - can anyone tell me about that? My husband has agreed to take me on a pilgrimage for my 30th birthday, which is next year!

The website of St. Nicholas' Church in Chicago has a page about the icon, which mentions its history. I found another page which has a photograph of the icon.

In Christ,
Michael

#25 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:30 PM

Hi

Would anyone know some more information about the Icon of Panagia that teared, I think about 1960.

Do the owners still have it?

I think its Antonia and Peter Koulis.  I cant seem to actually see the icons in the church very clearly.

Thanks

#26 John S.

John S.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:37 PM

Re Holy Places in North America: No one has yet mentioned Spruce Island and the hermitage of St. Herman near Kodiak Alaska!

#27 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 04:43 AM

Hi

Would anyone know some more information about the Icon of Panagia that teared, I think about 1960.

Do the owners still have it?

I think its Antonia and Peter Koulis.  I cant seem to actually see the icons in the church very clearly.

Thanks

Those weeping icons are enshrined at St Paul's Cathedral Greek Orthodox Church in Hempstead, Ny.  St. Paul's used to be my home parish before I moved away from the area, its one of the largest Orthodox Church's in North America. They have been housed at the church since 1960 when they were brought over by Archbishop Iakovos as they shed tears. The initial icon beloned to Mrs. Catsounis and a few days later her relatives the Koulis family also had an icon that began to tear.They still work miracles.

youtube video footage from 1960:

2gwK1WeMTgY

50 years later, remembering weeping Virgin Mary icon | Newsday

church website:

The Cathedral of St. Paul - Greek Orthodox Church in Hempstead, New York

weeping905.jpg

It also houses an icon that teared of St Nicholas in 2008, with a cool video:

St. Nicholas Center ::: Hempstead

The initial icons of the Theotokos was the reason of naming the Greek Orthodox parish in Island Park NY,  "Panagia Church" which was found in the 1980's (The Catsounis settled in Island Park and the neighboring village is Oceanside where Koulis lived, the church serves the people in those communities):

Panaghia Greek Orthodox Church of Island Park

Edited by Kosta, 02 October 2015 - 04:48 AM.

#28 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:48 AM

Thank you Kosta, this is very nice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users