http://www.holyapost...d3bfa884c73ac9b

#22 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:19 AM

Also, I believe there is doubt amongst scholars over how much Hebrew St. Jerome knew.

The Stuttgart Latin Vulgate of the United Bible Society aims to put together the earliest manuscripts of the Latin bible.

#23 Patrick Lee

Patrick Lee

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know where I can buy a print version of the 1904 text? I have found places to download it from, but I'm after a bound copy.

#24 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:32 PM

Can anyone tell me please which translation is more accurate translation:

http://www.orthodox-...o/eob/index.asp

or the one from the Apostles Convent?

http://www.holyapost...d3bfa884c73ac9b

Hmm, not sure how I missed this originally, but to be quite frank, they both have their issues. I don't know that I would elevate one over the other.

Herman the "all things being equal" Pooh

#25 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:16 AM

Im familiar with the Orthodox New Testament 2vol set by Holy Apostles Convent. The translation gives you a unique perspective not found in any other translation. Of course Mother Mary who was the primary translator ,is not a scholar. I have problems in her explanation that the greek word 'makaria' translated in english as bless simply means 'happy', (the word used in LK: Henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. etc.) This isnt true, so it should not be considered error-proof.

What it does excel in is that it has much commentary all based on the Church Fathers, thus i view this study bible as superior to the OSB.

#26 Fred B.

Fred B.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:05 PM

I don't have anything scholarly to say about the EOB New Testament (which I purchased around Oct 2010), and it is my first "Orthodox" New Testament, so I don't have much to compare it to. What I can say is that I have enjoy reading it more than the other translations I have read (NASB, NIV, KJV), and I have found the notes and appendices to be helpful as a new convert.

I plan on purchasing the OSB as soon as possible as well. Nearly everyone in my parish reads it, and enjoys it greatly.

#27 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:23 AM

I have had the Orthodox Study Bible for about 2 years now. I have found that the English translations from the Greek text are more accurate than other translations.

A recent example
Psalm 115
I believed and therefore I spoke, but I was sore troubled : I said in my haste, All men are liars.

Greek
Ε πιστευσα, διο ελαλησα, εγω δε εταπεινωθην σφοδρα.
Εγω δε ειπα εν τη εκστασει μου, Πας ανθρωπος ψευστης.

Orthodox Study Bible

I believed; therefore, I spoke:
I was greatly humbled.I said in my ecstasy, Every man is a liar.

The words "humbled" instead of "sore troubled" and "ecstasy" instead of "in my haste" are the right words.

The Revised standard version (Psalm 116 10:19) is even more inaccurate than the first translation.

Effie

Edited by Effie Ganatsios, 12 March 2011 - 07:31 AM.
more information

#28 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

I have had the Orthodox Study Bible for about 2 years now. I have found that the English translations from the Greek text are more accurate than other translations.

A recent example
Psalm 115
I believed and therefore I spoke, but I was sore troubled : I said in my haste, All men are liars.

Greek
Ε πιστευσα, διο ελαλησα, εγω δε εταπεινωθην σφοδρα.
Εγω δε ειπα εν τη εκστασει μου, Πας ανθρωπος ψευστης.

Orthodox Study Bible

I believed; therefore, I spoke:
I was greatly humbled.I said in my ecstasy, Every man is a liar.

The words "humbled" instead of "sore troubled" and "ecstasy" instead of "in my haste" are the right words.

The Revised standard version (Psalm 116 10:19) is even more inaccurate than the first translation.

Effie

These other translations are not based on the Greek. They may well be faithful representations of the Masoretic Hebrew.

#29 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

These other translations are not based on the Greek. They may well be faithful representations of the Masoretic Hebrew.

Ryan, can you give me an example of this, preferably the above lines from Psalm 11(116).

Thanks
Effie

I found the answer myself. Please see my next message.

Edited by Effie Ganatsios, 13 March 2011 - 10:24 AM.
explanation of my message following this one

#30 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:22 AM

You are right Ryan. The English translation in my "Divine Liturgy explained by Rev. Nicholas M. Elias" is accurate. (this is the English text I posted at the beginning of my original message).

The Revised Standard Version is different altogether :
"I kept my faith, even when I said,
"I am greatly afflicted";
I said in my consternation,
"Men are all a vain hope."

The following is the translation of Psalm 115 (116 verses 10-16) from Hebrew into English :

10 I trusted even when I spoke: 'I am greatly afflicted.'
11 I said in my haste: 'All men are liars.'

http://www.mechon-ma...p/pt/pt26b6.htm

The following is from the introduction to the Orthodox Study Bible.

"Secondly, Thomas Nelson publishers granted use of the Old Testament text of the New King James Version in the places where the English translation of the Septuagint LXX would match that of the Masoretic (Hebrew) test. The development team at St. Athansius Academy carefully studied these sources, aslong with other documents, to produce an English Old Testament text suitable for the project."

Some additional information concerning the Greek translation can be found below :

"The Septuagint (pronounced /ˈsɛptuː.ədʒɪnt/), or simply "LXX", referred to in critical works by the abbreviation ,[1] is the Koine Greek version of the Hebrew Bible, translated in stages between the 3rd and 2nd century BCE in Alexandria.[2] It was begun by the 3rd century BCE and completed before 132 BCE.[3]

It is the oldest of several ancient translations of the Hebrew Bible into Greek, lingua franca of the eastern Mediterranean Basin from the time of Alexander the Great (356-323 BCE)."

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Septuagint

Translations are confusing and I often wonder why people quarrel over different interpretations of the words of the Bible when what they're reading may not be 100% accurate.

#31 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

Translations are confusing and I often wonder why people quarrel over different interpretations of the words of the Bible when what they're reading may not be 100% accurate.

I think this happens Effie because we do not realize that there is no such thing as a basic authoritative text for the whole of Scripture. Thus for example there is no one LXX covering all of the books of the OT. What we have right now and what we translate from are varying Greek manuscripts. Each has variations and at times these are quite large. For example the two surviving LXX versions of Tobit are called GI & GII. GII is about 1700 words longer than GI. Of course the question is about the relationship between these two versions; but the difference between these isn't just passages left out. The very wording itself between the two is different at points. So what we read in our Bibles, what looks to us as if there is one authoritative version is the more result of a choice made by the publishers between manuscripts and versions to use.

Also, we often do not understand that translating itself is not an absolute science. For example we referred here the other day to Psalm 22, vs 1. In Slavonic this says: Господь пасет мя. If you look in a dictionary however пасет (from пасти) doesn't just mean 'shepherds'. It can also mean 'to graze', 'to feed' 'to pasture'. Only context brings this to 'shepherds' and then I suspect this word is also strongly influenced for English translators by the KJV.

Lastly, the most frequent basis for approving of a certain version is that we like what we hear. 'I like very much the latest version of the LXX'. Often though this is said without reference to the original underlying version. What did it say? What does it sound like? Possibly if we went from this direction first we'd understand that the original itself contains many questions within itself; that there are unclear passages and words. And that Scriptural understanding is always an ascetic exercise.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#32 Joel B

Joel B

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:53 AM

It's been a few years, but I really appreciated Everett Fox's 'The Five Books of Moses'. Does anyone know of any helpful Orthodox critiques of his translation?

Joel

#33 Bruce Geerdes

Bruce Geerdes

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

There is now an Eastern Orthodox Bible app for iPhone & iPod touch.

http://itunes.apple....d538166793?mt=8

New Testament with footnotes, plus introductions. Psalms and OT will be added when available.

It is free this week, so please download and spread the word!

#34 Aaron R.

Aaron R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

Hi I am just wondering if anyone owns the EOB Bible and what they think of it? I cannot find many reviews on it anywhere.

kind regards

Aaron

#35 David Hawthorne

David Hawthorne

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:48 AM

I have it and like it a lot. It is a good translation of the Patriarchal Text and reads well. It's greatest strength for me is its footnotes (text-critical and definitions of certain key words as well as letting you know if an Old Testament quote agrees with the Septuagint, Masoretic Text or both) and the articles which are extremely informative.

My only quibbles are that I find the parentheses within the text distracting (but they do communicate important information) and I am more of a thee-thou guy than a modern translation reader but that is just a personal preference.

I do intend to buy the whole thing when it comes out.

Any word on when the Old Testament will be done? I don't think the site has been updated in a while.

#36 Bruce Geerdes

Bruce Geerdes

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Fr. Laurent wants to complete the Psalter next. Since it has not been released yet, the rest of the Old Testament might be a ways away.

#37 Isaac_L

Isaac_L

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:37 PM

Apologies for replying to quite an old post, but I'm hoping someone can provide an update on this EOB bible. Does anyone know it's status? The website is rather confusing about the OT/Psalter (now there's some catechism being worked on?) and the contact email for Fr. Laurent doesn't seem to work...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users