274 replies to this topic

#1 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:21 PM

Welcome to the Discussion Community! Please use this thread to introduce yourself to other members of the forum.

#2 Matthew Namee

Matthew Namee

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

Hello, my name is Matthew Namee. I am a lifelong Orthodox Christian from Wichita, Kansas. I am currently completing a (slightly belated) bachelor's degree in history at Wichita State University, after which I plan to pursue doctoral studies. I have been bumping into this website since its inception, and I finally decided to join. Glad to be here.

#3 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:11 PM

Welcome, Matthew. Good to have you here at last, after so much occasional encounter!

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#4 Natalie Marzouqa

Natalie Marzouqa

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

Welcome to the Discussion Community! Please use this thread to introduce yourself to other members of the forum.

I'm a student from Bethlehem \Palestine my family and I are all orthodox born in this country were Jesus lived .
We celebrated the orthodox Xmas on the 7th january on the orthodox calender.

On the 6th of Jan me and my sister and brother were in the bethlehem orthodox scouts with other christian scouts marched in Bethlehem streets for the wellcoming the entrance of our orthodox Patriarch Theofilos for the start of the Xmas prayers/:):):)

Merry Xmass to all we will celebrate the new year on the 13th Jan

#5 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:18 PM

Natalie, welcome, Merry Christmas and happy nameday (unless you celebrate with St. Natalie)!

#6 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:18 AM

Hello Natalie,

Welcome to monachos. I think you might be one of the youngest here. I work for the Scouts in America. I wish I could have seen so many Scouts in procession for the Patriarch. Here in America we get criticised for just believing in God. Do you have any pictures you can share of the procession with the Scouts?

Yours in Scouting
paul

I'm a student from Bethlehem \Palestine my family and I are all orthodox born in this country were Jesus lived .
We celebrated the orthodox Xmas on the 7th january on the orthodox calender.

On the 6th of Jan me and my sister and brother were in the bethlehem orthodox scouts with other christian scouts marched in Bethlehem streets for the wellcoming the entrance of our orthodox Patriarch Theofilos for the start of the Xmas prayers/:):):)

Merry Xmass to all we will celebrate the new year on the 13th Jan

#7 Natalie Marzouqa

Natalie Marzouqa

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:18 PM

Hello Natalie,

Welcome to monachos. I think you might be one of the youngest here. I work for the Scouts in America. I wish I could have seen so many Scouts in procession for the Patriarch. Here in America we get criticised for just believing in God. Do you have any pictures you can share of the procession with the Scouts?

Yours in Scouting
paul

Thank you for writing me about scout. I am trying to attach a moviefile to you where it shows the Nativity Church and myself at the end of the clip carrying the flag of the Orthodox SCout of Bethlehem.

May i ask you, what is antiochian??

:o Natalie Marzouqa.

Attached Files

#8 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:24 AM

This is great Natalie,

Antiochian simply means my Patriarch is from Antioch. As in

Acts 11:25 Then Barnabas departed for Tarsus to seek Saul. 26 And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

Paul

#9 Michael McGuire

Michael McGuire

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:19 PM

My name is Michael McGuire, and I live in Lafayette, Indiana.

I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time, but am just getting around to introducing myself. I was raised outside of any church, and, though my parents considered themselves Christian, I've always felt outside of Christianity.

After coming to an intellectual conviction regarding the truth of Christianity, I've been balanced between Catholicism and Orthodoxy for several years now. Thanks to recent events -- and the wonderful influence and example of our local priest -- I'm soon to become a catechumen.

I hope I can overcome my inhibitions and start entering into your forum community :)

Edited by Michael McGuire, 24 January 2008 - 01:56 AM.
Reduncancy

#10 Justin Farr

Justin Farr

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:53 AM

Hello all! :) I am Justin and heard about this website. I also frequent Dust And Ashes and ChristianForum's The Ancient Way. :) This seems like a wonderful place! Still trying to wrap my head around all the rules and such. :P

I am glad to be here! So hello! ^_^

#11 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:48 AM

Welcome Michael,

I look forward to hearing more from you as you grow in the Faith.

Paul

#12 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

A very warm welcome to Michael and Justin! :) :) :)

#13 Anne Morgellyn

Anne Morgellyn

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:35 PM

My name is Anne Morgellyn. I was received into the Russian Orthodox Church in 1993 and the following year spent a few days at the monastery at Tolleshunt Knights, Essex, England. Now that my daughter is older, I would like to spend some more time there. On the door of my room, in the women's guesthouse, was an icon of Pantelemon, healer and martyr. That image has stayed with me. I would like to know more about the life of Pantelemon - his feast, I believe, is in July?

#14 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:41 PM

Hello Anne and welcome here!

It is so wonderful that you would like to know more about Saint Panteleimon. Please click here for more information about the Saint.

He is a wonderful saint of Orthodoxy and his name means 'All-Merciful" in Greek and it is usually an attribute for our God. Saint Panteleimon is also one of the patron saints of physicians.

I was actually just downloading an icon of Saint Panteleimon in my album here on monachos and was thinking about Saint Panteleimon right before I read your post. :)

In Ravello, Italy they have in the church in the main square, a phial with the blood of Saint Panteleimon, which is frozen, but liquefies for the feast-day of the Saint in July.

Edited by Nina, 28 January 2008 - 03:31 AM.

#15 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:23 PM

Of all the monasteries I visited on Mt. Athos, the monastery dedicated to St. Panteleimon was the most "moving" for me. I have a vial of Holy Oil from the wondering working icon from there.

St. Panteleimon pray to God for us.

Paul

#16 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:34 AM

I have a vial of Holy Oil from the wondering working icon from there.

Paul

And what is your address (?) so we can all send an avalanche of SASEs, for portions of that Holy Oil. :)

#17 Maria Prabhu

Maria Prabhu

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:39 PM

Hello

I am Maria Prabhu an Architect from India, I have designed a few churches and I am a Roman Catholic deeply interested in the ancient chantings and prayers to get closer to "Him"

In Christ

Maria Prabhu

I am looking for any contemplative deep Christian Meditative techniques to savour Our Lord,If anyone is in those kindly pm, me plzz

#18 Anne Morgellyn

Anne Morgellyn

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:31 PM

Thank you so much Nina and Paul for welcoming me and replying to my post about Panteleimon. I'm glad to learn more about his life as a healer. I have asked for his prayers.

I'm not sure if I'm replying to the right thread here - I'm a novice on this forum, so please bear with me! I hope to post here once a week.

Anne M.

#19 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:23 AM

Thank you so much Nina and Paul for welcoming me and replying to my post about Panteleimon. I'm glad to learn more about his life as a healer. I have asked for his prayers.

I'm not sure if I'm replying to the right thread here - I'm a novice on this forum, so please bear with me! I hope to post here once a week.

Anne M.

Dear Anne,

If you only post once a week you will like me have over 500 posts to catch up on. It is better to come daily so they don't add up. :rolleyes:
I missed 1 day and had 187 posts to read through.

#20 Silouan Howard

Silouan Howard

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:38 PM

Hello to everyone..

My name is Silouan and obviously I am new to this site. Look forward to learning from all of you while I am here.

God Bless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users