#261 Sadaf

Sadaf

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:00 AM

:)HI,
My name is Sadaf Bashir.
I am from Pakistan and belong to Protestant family.
I am a student and reason of being here to learn about Orthodox Faith.Am hopeful you all will help me to learn.:)
BLESSINGS

#262 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:23 PM

Very warm welcome to Miss Sadaf and all the new members! :) :) :)

#263 Mikhail R.

Mikhail R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

:)HI,
My name is Sadaf Bashir.
I am from Pakistan and belong to Protestant family.
I am a student and reason of being here to learn about Orthodox Faith.Am hopeful you all will help me to learn.:)
BLESSINGS

Welcome Sadaf! I hope the site helps learn everything you'd like to know about Orthodoxy. :)

-Mikhail

#264 Sadaf

Sadaf

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:30 AM

Hi,
Thanks Nina and Mikhail for warm welcome:)
Blessings

#265 John Frangos

John Frangos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:55 AM

Hi all,

my name is John from Melbourne Australia and I'd like to think I'm an Orthodox Christian. Looking forward to sharing some thoughts, asking questions in a relaxed environment amongst friends.

May Panagia be with you
John

#266 K. Venoutsakopoulos

K. Venoutsakopoulos

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:18 AM

Hi everyone,

I am a mother of 4 from Australia. :)

#267 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:23 AM

Hi everyone,

I am a mother of 4 from Australia. :)

Welcome! Another Aussie in the ranks! :D

#268 Matthew

Matthew

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:56 PM

My name is Matthew, and I am an American convert to Orthodoxy.

I have been blessed with a wife and a young son, both of who were born into the faith. I also have good health, a good job, and am thankful to God for all of his blessings.

Since my chrismation, I was further blessed with the wonderful experience of a pilgrimage to Mount Athos, and a visit to the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. I was also tonsured a Reader by Metropolitan Maximos.

He proclaimed me "Axios," although I have my doubts about my worthiness!

I have been lurking here for a long while, and finally signed up. I look forward to participating in and learning from this lovely community. Thank you.

#269 RichardWorthington

RichardWorthington

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:33 AM

A warm wlecome to everyone!!

Richard

#270 Mary Halloran Snyder

Mary Halloran Snyder

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:49 AM

My name is Mary Halloran Snyder, I attend a Byzantine Catholic Church in Columbus, Ohio. I'm here because my Priest suggested I might really enjoy the discussion here. Technically I'm RC, I was baptized as an infant, but my family fell away before I did my first communion. By God's Grace, I was able to come back to the Church as an adult, I did RCIA and I was confirmed. Even before I did RCIA, I had a very strong interest in religious art and history, and specifically, Icons. By chance, I met a Byzantine Catholic priest who was very encouraging of my study of Iconography, and long story short, I have been attending a Byzantine Catholic Church for the past few years, and feel very much at home. I'm fairly certain I should think of formally changing rites sometime in the future.

Right now I am trying to get more in tune with the Calendar of the Church as we live it in the Eastern tradition. I was recently laid off, and have a lot more time during the day to pray and study. (I also have to look for a job, but I still have more time to pray.) So I decided to pray the Office again, but this time pray as it is done in the East. I'm taking it slow, it's complicated, and the terminology is different, but God is putting little hand holds out for me, and little by little it is making sense.

Thanks for letting me take part in this community. I'm sure I'm going to be doing more reading than posting, but I really appreciate the resource.

#271 Adrian

Adrian

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:11 PM

Hello

I am Maria Prabhu an Architect from India, I have designed a few churches and I am a Roman Catholic deeply interested in the ancient chantings and prayers to get closer to "Him"

In Christ

Maria Prabhu

I am looking for any contemplative deep Christian Meditative techniques to savour Our Lord,If anyone is in those kindly pm, me plzz

This is copy paste from another thread:

I did say many times about the possibility of Holy Men to speak with God, If every religion would have this possibility and will take into consideration what the Holy Men have to say and not Earthly Matters, then there would be just one religion on the world similar with today's Orthodox Christianity. There is a habit of the orthodox Patriarchs first between Bishops do have a Holy Man able to talk with God near them so they take the right decisions. Also there is a habit of Orthodox leaders to take advice from Holy Men the same way Samuel and David took advice from prophets and even if there are many wise men the Holy Mne can read the book of sins and many more.
Anybody can go on this path being Holy Men , Monks, Priests, Normal people. Many Holy Men report seeing normal people that are above them in this path even if the normal people are in the world and the Holy Men lived lots of their life in a cave. Some Romanian Holy Men reported that when they prayed in a church a women entered without seing them and when the woman started praying a light come and rested above her head until she finished. They understood that this women is much more advanced than them even if they renounced world and at least one of them Elder Cleopa lived alone in woods for some time so he will be alone with God. Also a worker went to a island and found some children there and the children said that they learned from they parents a prayer and what they did was to repeat it over and over. The worker said OK let me introduce you to the correct oprayer but when he saw these children walking on water he took the notebook and asked the children how do they pray so he can learn from them.
The path I am speaking about , a path that is for everybody, that is a trasure of the world and a duty of everybody not only of Orthodox Christians to keep it and to pray for it so will not be forgotten.
The path I am speaking about is a hard path but is with multiple gifts on the way like raising the dead, healing the sick, going from this life to visit Heaven and I think that there are not many religions that have such a path , levitation everything a budhist, hindu or other religion can do and much more even through this path there are people that didn't need to eat for tens of Years but took only Holy Communion, people that lived hundrets of years and so on. The path I am speaking about is Jesus prayer and the best way to travel on this path is to ask somebody that was before on it. Is not an easy path and if headaches appear after going alone you need to stop until you find somebody trained on it a Holy Man. At the end of this path is speaking with God the same way Moses did.
We do are here to give to the Cesar what belongs to the Cesar like paying taxes , to take care of ourself like having a house, job , food, clothes nut on the same time we do not need to forget that we have to God what belongs to the God , women need to give birth and raise children and not to use any tipe of abortion surgical or chemical or with Intrauterine device, to try to sin as less as possible and not many people know that perversion give changes to face like circles around eyes for some types of perversion, sin being it alcohol, drugs, chemicals includin contraceptive pill, perversion can give genetical changes and there are at least two books in ROmania of contemporary Holy Man Arsenie Boca that spoke with Jesus face to face and found his sins , the book The Young, The Family and Children born into chains with chains being the sins of the ancestors and The way of the kingdom http://www.scribd.co...r-Arsenie-Boca- and this book takes some perversion and goes to genetics and if God say he will punish children to the forurth level for the sins of the ancestors and genetics come and say genes can have influence for generations God tells us that if we repent, do confessions the children will not suffer so the genetics would come back in mysterious ways, and we need also to take care of the poor, hungry, homelles, thirsty and the changes that will happend, genetically? would go to the thousand generation in the future and We should pau attention to ideologies that bring the idea of bad deeds for good goal since the bad deeds can affect genetically the person and in future some people claim that childbearing may be hard.
Here is what WIKIPEDIA has to say bout it:
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Jesus_Prayer
Here is a small video about the stages of prayer and a great part on the stages of prayer that I share with you comes from the writtings of Elder Cleopa:

#272 Elizabeth Bartnovskaya

Elizabeth Bartnovskaya

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:12 PM

Hi Everyone

My name is Elizabeth Bartnovskaya and I live in the south of England. I have been a member of the Orthodox church (previously C of E - kind of the default option, perhaps, in the UK) for 11 years, since my husband and I got married. I blame it on spending too much time studying medieval Russian at university (a lot of the literature tends centre around the lives of incredibly inspiring saints), together with, what I can only describe as a feeling of authenticity about Orthodox worship which struck me as soon as I visited my first Orthodox church in Russia.

At times Orthodoxy can feel like a minority religion in the UK, so I'm looking forward to sharing with this community. I have already found so many of your posts thought-provoking and encouraging. Thank you.

#273 Albion

Albion

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

Hello everyone. My name is Albion Land, and I am an American journalist living in Nicosia. I am a lifelong (traditional) Anglican, as well as former lay minister and apirant to the priesthood. I recently decided, after a journey of many years, with many fits and starts, to become Orthodox, and have submitted a petition to be received into the Church of Cyprus. I have long been familiar with this website, and am now signing on to the forum. I look forward to learning much.

#274 Larry Kloth

Larry Kloth

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:40 PM

Hello everyone:

I signed up for Monachos several years ago and lurked for a while and then became inactive. I got an email a while back that I was missed, so I decided to come back, and maybe do more than lurk. About the time I joined Monachos, I got kind of burned out on discussion forums in general, and that probably accounts for my not having participated here.

I am a former minister of the United Methodist Church who was received into the Orthodox faith about 20 years ago. I was in a parish of the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Church for several years. For the past 15 years I've been employing my organist skills at an Albanian Orthodox parish in Chicago. I know. I prefer it without an organ too, but the folks there needed someone to play, so that explains it. And it's a good community and I like doing it.

I've found that in some areas of my education as an Orthodox Christian, things have been on hold for a while. I want and need to learn again, and I figured that Monachos would be one of the ways I could do that.

Larry Kloth

#275 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:10 AM

Welcome, welcome Elizabeth, Albion and Larry. We are so delighted to read your stories and that you have decided to participate in this wonderful forum. We look forward to learn from you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users