274 replies to this topic

#21 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

Welcome, Silouan - and other new members. May you enjoy your time here!

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#22 Lance Goldsberry

Lance Goldsberry

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

Welcome to the Discussion Community! Please use this thread to introduce yourself to other members of the forum.

Dear Friends,

My name is Lance Goldsberry. I am a Greek Catholic, a member of the Pittsburgh Metropolitan Church. I love Byzantine Christianity and all things Eastern Christian. I love to learn from my Orthodox brethren.

Blessings,

Lance

#23 Andrew

Andrew

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:02 PM

Hello to everyone..

My name is Silouan and obviously I am new to this site. Look forward to learning from all of you while I am here.

God Bless

Hey Silouan! Thank you for bringing me the prayer rope. Check out the posts of Fr. Averky and Fr. Seraphim Black... I think their wisdom will be helpful to you.

#24 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:11 AM

Welcome Silouan,

It's great to have another Texan on the forum.

Paul

#25 Silouan Howard

Silouan Howard

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:45 PM

Hey Silouan! Thank you for bringing me the prayer rope. Check out the posts of Fr. Averky and Fr. Seraphim Black... I think their wisdom will be helpful to you.

Your welcome, brother. I decided to try this forum out instead of Christian Forums...it gets too heated over there and I am a wimp. ;)

#26 Mary James

Mary James

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:14 PM

Greetings in the Lord,
My name is Maria, i have been on these forums a very long time ago, and left for no reason. Now I'm back and I plan on sticking around here. :)

I'm a convert to Orthodoxy and attend a wonderful ROCOR Church in Canada, Ontario.

#27 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:30 PM

A very warm welcome to Maria and Silouan! :) :) :)

And yes, Maria, please stay and I look so much forward to learn from you. :) Thank you for the icon of Panagia which St. Mary of Egypt venerated. Maybe you can post it under your profile for all friends here to see it? :) Have a blessed time.

#28 Mary James

Mary James

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:31 AM

A very warm welcome to Maria and Silouan! :) :) :)

And yes, Maria, please stay and I look so much forward to learn from you. :) Thank you for the icon of Panagia which St. Mary of Egypt venerated. Maybe you can post it under your profile for all friends here to see it? :) Have a blessed time.

I have replaced my St. Mary of Egypt icon in my profile with the Theotokos icon the St. Mary of Egypt venerated before entering the church!
Thanks for the suggestion, Nina :D

#29 Geordie Ziegler

Geordie Ziegler

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

Hello, I am a new member of Monachos, and I am seeking guidance for a post-graduate research project I am undertaking that would look at the doctrine of the Ascension of Christ in the theology of a theologian of the Eastern Orthodox church. Coming from the Protestant side myself, my familiarity with Orthodox theologians at this point is fairly limited, hence my request for guidance. Any suggestions? Or are there any forums here that are discussing issues in this field?

Thank you,
Geordie Ziegler

#30 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:15 PM

Hello, I am a new member of Monachos, and I am seeking guidance for a post-graduate research project I am undertaking that would look at the doctrine of the Ascension of Christ in the theology of a theologian of the Eastern Orthodox church. Coming from the Protestant side myself, my familiarity with Orthodox theologians at this point is fairly limited, hence my request for guidance. Any suggestions? Or are there any forums here that are discussing issues in this field?

Thank you,
Geordie Ziegler

A very important book for all to have is The Feasts of the Lord by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos. Chapter 11 of this book is on the Ascension.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#31 Geordie Ziegler

Geordie Ziegler

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:29 AM

A very important book for all to have is The Feasts of the Lord by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos. Chapter 11 of this book is on the Ascension.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

Thank you - i will look for that book.
What part does the ascension of our Lord play in Orthodox theology?

#32 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:25 PM

Dear Geordie, welcome!

There is a thread about Ascension here on monachos I think. Click on the Search feature please and write Ascension. Maybe you can post question there as well after you read posts. :) See you, in different threads.

#33 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:28 PM

Geordie, here is the thread.

#34 Silouan Howard

Silouan Howard

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:29 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that in the Orthodox mindset, the salvific work of Christ includes the divine conception all the way to the coming of the Holy Spirit. Each event is a part of the work of salvation, but must be understood through the 'whole picture'.

#35 Amy

Amy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:00 PM

Geordie Ziegler,

May Christ be with you!

Welcome to Monachos; you'll find plenty of good folks and resources here. As I see you are from Scotland, I wanted to pass along a warm hello. It is, in part, because of the ancient Celts that I am now Orthodox.

Blessings to you as your pursue your research.

#36 Sibylle

Sibylle

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:10 PM

Welcome to the Discussion Community! Please use this thread to introduce yourself to other members of the forum.

Hello, my name is Sibylle, I live in the UK and was received into the Orthodox Church 2 years ago, having been a committed Roman Catholic for 43 years. I continue to be an Oblate with a Benedictine Community which has done much to introduce me to Orthodoxy. It is still early days for me - so much to learn!
I am particularly interested in monasticism, and would welcome information on women's monastic communities in Europe one can visit.
Looking forward to getting to know members of this forum, and learning from you.

In Christ,
Sibylle

#37 Ambrose Stapleton

Ambrose Stapleton

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:33 AM

My name is Ambrose Stapleton I live in Kodiak, Alaska with my beautiful wife and three kookie sons who are watching me write this post so I have to call them weird, which is having the desired effect. I am a stay at home dad and I homeschool my boys. I have Crohns disease and just recently got onto Disability. Also in between hospital stays I have been attending classes at St. Herman Seminary, hopefully to start full time next time. I am looking forward to the oppertunity to be a part of discussions and hopefully get some of my questions answered as well.

Ambrose:D

PS
Be forwarned I am a horrible speller

#38 Antonios

Antonios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:05 AM

Welcome Ambrose!

Pray for the rest of us horrible spellers!

#39 Antonios

Antonios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:10 AM

Welcome Sibylle! It is still early days for most of us too in the Orthodox faith and there is always more to learn. (in fact, an eternity's worth!) There are plenty here who can provide you with information regarding monasteries in Europe better than I can. I think I speak for everyone here at monachos in saying that we welcome you and will learn from you as well!

#40 Antonios

Antonios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:31 AM

Welcome George! The event of the ascension of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ is an affirming act of salvation! It confirms Christ's Divine Authority and Almighty Power as the Word of God (now 'seated at the right hand of God' the Father). It is a prelude to the descent of the Holy Spirit unto the elect of God soon after at Pentecost, a truly trinitarian genesis of the Church.

This is not unlike the Incarnation of Christ in its trinitarian movement. Here, the descent of the the Holy Spirit unto the chosen one of God, the Theotokos, (whose blameless obedience and spotless faith enables a pentecost of sorts within her very own immaculate womb), results in the genesis of the God-man Christ. This is foreshadowed in the symbolic imagery of the burning bush, where Moses first encounters the Word of God within the burning bush which was located upon hallowed ground.

The ascension, therefore, is the demonstration of the fulfillment of the work of the Second Person of the Holy Trinity. Creation is assured that Jesus Christ is the Word of God and source of life. By His Incarnation, Death, Resurrection, and finally, Ascension, creation is once again sanctified, enabling it's possibility to once and for ever partake in the divine nature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users