274 replies to this topic

#41 RichardWorthington

RichardWorthington

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:52 AM

I am particularly interested in monasticism, and would welcome information on women's monastic communities in Europe one can visit.
Looking forward to getting to know members of this forum, and learning from you.

In Christ,
Sibylle

Greetings Sibylle - from Richard also in the UK!

There is the monastery at Tolleshunt Knights - it is a mixed monastery, but certainly has far more nuns than monks.

There is also the monastery of the assumption at Whitby
http://archive.theno.../20/134732.html

And I believe there is a ROCOR convent of Arab nuns somewhere near the south of London.

I did a web search but I think your parish priest would be able to help if you needed to contact them.

This is in the UK: as for Europe I guess there could be some in France, and as for Greece, Romania, Ukraine, Russia, Serbia, Macedonia - sorry if I have missed out anyone's country! - there must be loads!

Best wishes,

Richard

#42 John Litster

John Litster

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:12 PM

Welcome to the Discussion Community! Please use this thread to introduce yourself to other members of the forum.

Hello all,

My name is John Litster, and I am an 18-year old student living in Portland, Oregon. I've been Orthodox all my life, and I also help out with "Road to Emmaus," an Orthodox journal some of you might be aware of. (In case anyone's interested, the website is www.roadtoemmaus.net)

My

Looking forward to getting to know all of you,

This is my first time on a discussion community, so I hope I'm submitting this right.

#43 John Litster

John Litster

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

Welcome to the Discussion Community! Please use this thread to introduce yourself to other members of the forum.

Sorry - I hit the "send" button in mid sentence. So much for a graceful introduction!

As I was saying, my principal interest is the early church in the West, particularly in Britain, and I am currently working on an expansive project detailing the lives of the saints that lived there. Church history and hagiography are also interests of mine, and I am looking forward to meeting and discussing with others on this and other aspects of Orthodoxy.

#44 J. Austin

J. Austin

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:18 AM

Hello brothers and sisters in Christ. I am new to Orthodoxy as well as to this site.

Originally I visited a local mission at the request of a friend and to be a support to her spiritual search. The first few visits to the mission, I was watching my watch, so to speak, as to “when will this be over?” Yet, as I continued to be exposed to the Liturgy and Homilies and the enquires classes, I began to feel a sense of reverence and holiness to what was being presented to me. My heart was being deeply touched by the Holy Spirit and my mind illumined with Truth.

Instead of going to the mission for my friends sake, I was going to learn as much as I could to quench the spiritual thirst I strongly felt. I began to look forward to the next Vespers and Liturgy. I also purchased numerous Orthodox books on it’s History, the Liturgy and various teachings. I am thriving on it, and love every minute of what I am learning.

Prior to my going to the local mission with my friend, I had previously never heard of the Orthodox Faith. I was completely surprised and fascinated that such a Church existed. I have been exposed to and following the Protestant teachings since 1977, never finding what my heart/spirit were deeply searching for. I have found Home. My search is over, I am at peace and am being fully fed and satisfied with the Orthodox Faith and the True Church initiated by Christ himself.

I look forward to the remaining years of my life, growing and maturing in my Faith and Love of Christ.
Sincerely, Jenn Austin

#45 Stephen Rollie Chu

Stephen Rollie Chu

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:43 AM

Hello, I am Stephen Rollie Chu from Sabah (North Borneo), Malaysia. This is my 13th year back with the Catholic Church and I am still on the Way to rediscover my baptism through the Neocatechumenal Way.

I am happy and blessed to have been led to this site. I hope to meet new friends and brothers in the Lord.

#46 Fr. Petros Parginos

Fr. Petros Parginos

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:57 PM

Greetings to all. I'm fr. Petros, a priest in the Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria and All Africa. Forgive what may seem to be an out-of-place intrusion, but I was hoping that someone may assist in shedding some light on a topic of interest. So much is made of the differences between the Greek and Latin views of the Trinity. The Greeks are meant to have stressed the hypostases, wheres the Latins, the essence, Surely this is a gross generalization… surely the Greek Fathers made an issue of the “ousia” as much as Latin Fathers allowed for the “persona”. Can anyone assist with substantiation….

#47 Chris S.

Chris S.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

Hello. As my username attests, my name is Chris. My mother named me Christopher, and she swore that she would never allow anybody call me Chris - but the one syllable "Chris" is so much easier to say than the three syllable "Christopher"!

I am Roman Catholic. In fact, I officially became Catholic last April (2007). Prior to joining the Roman Church, I was raised in a loose Protestant home where cheap grace abounded. Growing up, I had many internal conflicts regarding my Christian identity which ultimately caused me to seriously search for a new spiritual identity, whether that happened to be agnosticism, atheism, Islam, Judaism, or evangelical Christianity.

Having studied Eastern Orthodoxy, at least during its Byzantine period, there's always been a certain part of me that recognizes the historic origins and significance of the Orthodox. I admire and love the faith of my Orthodox brothers and sisters. I'm here to learn more about the rich tradition which we all share in Christ Jesus, but I'm not here looking to convert or anything like that. However, I'm not your typical Catholic: I don't especially like (or heed) the papacy, but I also recognize its importance during certain periods in history. The Pharisaic legalism of Canon law seems contradictory to true faith in Jesus; but I understand that without it some people would be hopelessly bound to sin.

I also enjoy theology, biblical scholarship, ecumenical dialogue, and music.

#48 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:16 PM

Greetings to all. I'm fr. Petros, a priest in the Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria and All Africa. Forgive what may seem to be an out-of-place intrusion, but I was hoping that someone may assist in shedding some light on a topic of interest. So much is made of the differences between the Greek and Latin views of the Trinity. The Greeks are meant to have stressed the hypostases, wheres the Latins, the essence, Surely this is a gross generalization… surely the Greek Fathers made an issue of the “ousia” as much as Latin Fathers allowed for the “persona”. Can anyone assist with substantiation….

Father, bless!

I think what you are referring to relates to the debate between the Orthodox St. Gregory Palamas and the Catholic Barlaam. There is quite a bit of information available at this website. You may want to start with looking through some of the threads in the Specific Themes area! Welcome!

Your servant,
Herman

#49 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:20 AM

A warm and hearty welcome to all our newest friends to this wonderful site. May you find what you are looking for within its pages and develop friendships around the world.

Paul

#50 Guy Mengel

Guy Mengel

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:57 PM

First post. From a Bible Church Fundamentalist background (30+ years). We are attending an OCA mission in Virgina, for the last 2 Months. My study of Church History has led me (and my family) to the Orthodox Church and the fullness of faith. After going through the initial culture shock, I am becoming much more comfortable in Divine Liturgy, but alas, my beloved (28 years now) is not. I am hoping she comes along in the near future, and becomes more comfortable. I am recognizing just how arrogant I as a past protestant was and just how much of a sinner I am. It is hard after so many years a Protestant to shed ~500 year old beliefs (some are less than 150 years!)... I often slip into my rational, "put God" in a box mentality.

I look forward to conversation and instruction from those more knowlegeable than I.

In His Mercy
a sinner

-Guy

#51 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:59 AM

Welcome Guy and all the recent newcomers! It is a delight to read your stories and thank God for making this possible through monachos, so we can rejoice with all the beautiful things you all share. May you have a spiritually fruitful time here and everywhere!

#52 Allen Long

Allen Long

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:49 AM

After being an ordained minister for 27 years as a minister of worship and music (in the Evangelical church), I have been embraced by the fuller expression of faith that is found in Eastern Orthodoxy. I hope to be accepted for Holy Orders at some point. On Lazarus Saturday, my wife and I will receive chrismation in the St. Basil the Great Catholic Church, located in Irving, TX. I look forward to participation in these forums.

#53 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

Welcome Allen,

Always great to see another Texan here.

Paul

#54 Anna

Anna

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:17 AM

Hello all. I'm Anna Bennett, and I'm new to this community, but I've kept to the shadows on various Orthodox groups since 1996. I am a wife and mother of four children: Three girls ages 18 (and in the Army), 16, and 14; and one son, age 4. We live in rural Oklahoma and attend a ROCOR parish in DeQueen Arkansas. Thank you for the opportunity to say hello.

#55 Allen Long

Allen Long

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:21 AM

Paul,

Thanks for the welcome!

All glory to Jesus Christ!

Allen

#56 Silouan Howard

Silouan Howard

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:29 PM

Welcome Anna and Alan!

Allen, I am also in the Garland area. Good to see others from our area on here.

#57 Aaron C.

Aaron C.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:20 AM

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Hello, my name is Aaron. I encountered this site while looking around on the Internet and was impressed enough to join.

I was received in to the Serbian Orthodox Church in 2002, though I had become interested in Orthodoxy as early as 2000. Through college, I and several friends converted. I recently completed my Master of Arts in history in December, and I am employed as an archivist at a university in western Pennsylvania. I used to be a member of our parish choir, but for over a year (I can't remember how long) I have been assisting our parish priest in the Holy Altar as an acolyte. If I had to describe life in the Church with one word, I would use "humbling."

Thank you,

Aaron W. Carson

P.S. Our parish's site! www.stgeorgeserbian.us

#58 RichardWorthington

RichardWorthington

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Hello, my name is Aaron. I encountered this site while looking around on the Internet and was impressed enough to join.

I was received in to the Serbian Orthodox Church in 2002, though I had become interested in Orthodoxy as early as 2000. Through college, I and several friends converted. I recently completed my Master of Arts in history in December, and I am employed as an archivist at a university in western Pennsylvania. I used to be a member of our parish choir, but for over a year (I can't remember how long) I have been assisting our parish priest in the Holy Altar as an acolyte. If I had to describe life in the Church with one word, I would use "humbling."

Thank you,

Aaron W. Carson

P.S. Our parish's site! www.stgeorgeserbian.us

Dear Aaron,

Hello -My first encounter with Orthodoxy was in a Serbian Church in England.
see http://en.wikipedia....zar,_Bournville
and beautiful interior
http://www.birmingha...=0&MENU_ID=5359

I was so over-awed that this started a long journey into Holy Orthodoxy - God be praised forever!!!

Richard

#59 Mary Ann H.

Mary Ann H.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:52 AM

Hello, I am another new member. A former Episcopalian, I originally come from West Virginia, but have lived in Germany since 1989. My first contact with Orthodoxy was when I visited the Jordanville monastery in New York state as a student, or was it when I was in the Russian Summer School at Middlebury singing "Oche nash" in the choir? Nothing more happened for a good many years, except that I found myself visiting all the Byzantine sites in Europe and Turkey that I could and acquiring things like the text of the liturgy and the lives of Orthodox saints when the opportunity presented itself. Later I learned to use the computer and found a lot of information in the internet. To make a very long story short - finally someone told me that there was a Romanian Orthodox community in the city where I live. I had learned some Romanian before, partly as a result of my work teaching German to immigrants from Eastern Europe, so thought that would be a good place to find out what Orthodox church life is really like. And now here I am, five years into Orthodoxy with the Romanians.
I have been very impressed with what I have read on this board, and suspect that my "participation" will continue to be more in the line of reading than writing posts. I still have a lot to learn!

#60 Ruth

Ruth

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:01 PM

Hi all,

My name is Ruth and I'm preparing to be baptized as a Roman Catholic on March 22. I live in the USA, state of Kentucky.

I want to learn more about the faith of my Orthodox brothers and sisters.

Pax,

Ruth L.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users