Photo
- - - - -

St Nektarios (Roscoe, NY): How many fathers and novices?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 John W.

John W.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:00 PM

Does anyone know how many Fathers and novices (total number including Geronda Joseph) are presently at St. Nektarios Monastery in Roscoe, New York?

We want to send some gifts for the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and want to make sure that nobody gets left out.

Many thanks.

Kala Christouyenna!

John

#2 Father Anthony

Father Anthony

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:26 PM

Does anyone know how many Fathers and novices (total number including Geronda Joseph) are presently at St. Nektarios Monastery in Roscoe, New York?

We want to send some gifts for the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and want to make sure that nobody gets left out.

Many thanks.

Kala Christouyenna!

John

Dear John,

I was just up there a few days ago. The total number is 19.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

#3 John W.

John W.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:16 AM

Bless, Father.

Dear Father Anthony,

Thank you!

John

Dear John,

I was just up there a few days ago. The total number is 19.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

#4 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:52 AM

Dear John,

Forgive me for being so bold, but you might consider sending a few additional gifts above the 19 so the Fathers might then give these away as a blessing to others? Just a thought.

Paul

#5 Mary

Mary

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:05 AM

What kind of gifts do you give monks/nuns? I've puzzled over that a lot and can't come up with any good ideas. So, we usually just buy what they sell or give the monastery a donation. But, I'd love to give them individual gifts!

In Christ,
mary.

#6 John W.

John W.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:54 AM

Paul,

Good idea.

Mary,

I'll tell you after January 7th!

John

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:15 AM

I usually give coffee... coffee and tea seem to be popular among monastics (and the human race in general!).

#8 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:16 AM

What kind of gifts do you give monks/nuns? I've puzzled over that a lot and can't come up with any good ideas. So, we usually just buy what they sell or give the monastery a donation. But, I'd love to give them individual gifts!

When visiting a monastery, even for a short time, it is customary take a gift, which can include olive oil, candles, fruit or vegetables, brandy, wine, candy, etc. Dairy products such as eggs, milk, cheese, etc. are also appropriate so long as they are not given during a fast period. Meat or meat products are never acceptable as a gift to any monastery. It is always a good idea to check with the monastery before arrival to ask about appropriateness of a gift.

#9 Father Anthony

Father Anthony

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:54 PM

Paul,

Good idea.

Mary,

I'll tell you after January 7th!

John

Dear John,

Just so you know, the fathers at Saint Nektarios Monastery celebrate according to the Revised Julian calendar. If you are expecting when you go up after the 7th to see that they are still celebrating, you will find that they just celebrated Theophany. I figure I tell you as more of a "heads up".

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

#10 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

In Christ,
mary.

In addition to the great advise from Andrew and Herman - you can give socks, a warm scarf, shoes, gloves (everything in black).

If a monk lives in the world (or if he is a bishop, archbishop etc.) you can buy a nice white shirt (cuff-links also are a good gift for those who use them). Also a good book, icon, CD, a good fountain pen, paper knife, paperweight etc. are appropriate.

It also depends on how much you know the person. Observe and see what they like, or need.

P.S Ah and of course some good chocolate (like Lindt) is never a bad gift.

#11 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

Nina,

What good is a paper knife? If it gets wet it surely can't cut anymore. I sure doubt it could cut bread or vegetables even dry.

(just being cute)

PC

#12 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:16 AM

Nina,

What good is a paper knife? If it gets wet it surely can't cut anymore. I sure doubt it could cut bread or vegetables even dry.

(just being cute)

PC

:) :) :) That's very funny!!! giggles... Ok teach me how can I say it in English... envelope opener? I read somewhere paper knife, but your joke is so funny!

And Mary also any homemade, or handmade (by you) product is a great gift. :) I already know that you know and are doing this, but I am just posting it for the sake of the thread.

#13 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:29 AM

Down here we call it a letter opener.

or

Texas toothpick.

#14 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:18 AM

P.S Ah and of course some good chocolate (like Lindt) is never a bad gift.

A bottle of good wine is ALWAYS appreciated. I've yet to meet an Orthodox monk or cleric (monastic or married) who has ever declined the offer of a decent drop.

#15 Guest_Stavros Hadjisolomou

Guest_Stavros Hadjisolomou
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:08 AM

Hi,

Is there a way to visit this monastery with public transportation from Astoria, Queens NY?

Unfortunately I do not have a car to go there and would like to visit with a friend.

Thank you,

All the best,
Stavros

#16 Cyprian (Humphrey)

Cyprian (Humphrey)

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:06 PM

A bottle of good wine is ALWAYS appreciated. I've yet to meet an Orthodox monk or cleric (monastic or married) who has ever declined the offer of a decent drop.

I have. Recovering alcoholics. However, they're ALWAYS gracious about it, especially if the giver didn't know, or has just temporarily forgotten. :)

#17 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

In response to John's original question, an offering to the whole monastery per se may be of even greater appreciation than something given as a gift which is only for the monk's personal use...such as a large quantity of some type of food they use in preparing meals (asking them before hand what they need is a great idea)...An example of the items I have given in the past are: flour, olive oil, sugar, canned tuna, legumes, potatos, nuts, dried fruit, coffee, tea, etc.

Also, these days of economic crisis have also taken a toll on Orthodox monasteries, which depend solely upon donations (no matter how minute or small) to pay their bills, so any monetary donation, I find, is always greatly appreciated by all the monks because it means their collective survival.

Since the topic is titled 'St. Nektarios, Roscoe, NY', I just want to alert everyone that this coming Monday, Labor Day (September 3, 2012), is the feast day of the Translation of the Saint's relics, and that the Monastery in Roscoe celebrates it in a lovely old world way...with services and a procession, but also with a meal for all their visitors. The weather is usually nice up there this time of year, and many buses of pilgrims and visitors, as well as individuals go to venerate the Saint's relics which are taken out for the faithful, either out of devotion, thanksgiving, or supplication....There are also many gift items and books for sale, as well as outstanding home made Greek sweets to buy and take home.

I don't know what time services start exactly, so give them a call or ask them on their website for the exact time. It really is a nice and blessed way to spend the day, and this year in particular, will be a nice way to spend Labor Day for those of us who aren't going anywhere else.

http://www.stnektariosmonastery.org/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users