Norman Turner

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:25 AM

St. Sarov is quoted as saying:

Acquire inner peace and thousands around you will find salvation.

I am intrigued by this saying. Please excuse me for being analytical, but this quotation raises a number of questions for me:

1. What was St. Sarov himself thinking when he referred to inner peace ?

2. How did he himself obtain this peace ?

3. What dynamic or process did he have in mind when he suggested that one's inner peace has as its fruit the salvation of others ?

I would appreciate anyone's contribution to this topic.

Thanks.

Norman Turner, Toronto

Edited by Norman Turner, 07 January 2008 - 03:18 AM.
To correct spelling error.

#2 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:59 AM

Aquire inner peace and thousands around you will find salvation.

I am intrigued by this saying. Please excuse me for being analytical, but this quotation raises a number of questions for me:

1. What was St. Sarov himself thinking when he referred to inner peace ?

Norman Turner, Toronto

Inner peace means holiness.

#3 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:49 AM

Actually Sarov is a town. The name of the saint is "Seraphim" - so one would refer to him as "St Seraphim of Sarov" - Sarov is not his last name, it is the place where he lived.

Acquire inner peace and thousands around you will find salvation.

This quote has been translated into English in so many ways - not all of them are "good" and this particular translation I find to be very unhelpful. The best translation, imo, is "Acquire the Holy Spirit and thousands around you will be saved. For more about what this means, I suggest you read the conversation of St Seraphim with Nicholas Motovilov on the Acquisition of the Holy Spirit.

Fr David Moser

#4 Norman Turner

Norman Turner

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:46 AM

Dear Father David,

I have read the interview you recommended. Thank you. I am presently seaching for a new or used copy of the biography, St Seraphim of Sarov - A Spiritual Biography - specifically by Archimandrite Lazarus Moore. Do you or anyone else know where I could purchase a copy? I cannot find a copy on any book website that would send it to me in Toronto. I wish to take it with me on 2-month vacation.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Norman Turner

Edited by Norman Turner, 15 January 2008 - 02:48 AM.
To correct spelling error

#5 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:06 AM

Dear Father David,

I have read the interview you recommended. Thank you. I am presently seaching for a new or used copy of the biography, St Seraphim of Sarov - A Spiritual Biography - specifically by Archimandrite Lazarus Moore. Do you or anyone else know where I could purchase a copy? I cannot find a copy on any book website that would send it to me in Toronto. I wish to take it with me on 2-month vacation.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Norman Turner

Greetings on this the eve of the feast of St Seraphim! I do know that the bookstore at Holy Virgin Cathedral in San Francisco has the book and I presume that Fr Dimitri would ship it wherever you wanted. I can't imagine that you aren't able to find it nearer to home, but this is one place that I know would have it.

Fr David Moser

#6 Father Anthony

Father Anthony

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:10 AM

You may want to contact Alexander Press in Montreal, since it is closer to where you are located. They may also have a copy of that book. It is definitely worth getting and reading.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

#7 John W.

John W.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:13 AM

Last year, when asked about his current projects, Bishop Kallistos Ware of Diokleia said that he was working on a translation of the 'Chronicles of the Nuns of Diveyevo', a book that he said would give us a fuller, more human portrait of St. Seraphim of Sarov.

#8 Norman Turner

Norman Turner

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:01 PM

Greetings on this the eve of the feast of St Seraphim! I do know that the bookstore at Holy Virgin Cathedral in San Francisco has the book and I presume that Fr Dimitri would ship it wherever you wanted. I can't imagine that you aren't able to find it nearer to home, but this is one place that I know would have it.

Fr David Moser

Dear Fathers David & Anthony,

I have left messages with Fr. Dimitri in San Francisco, as well as Alexander Press in Montreal. I await their responses. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Sincerely,

Norman Turner, Toronto.

#9 Norman Turner

Norman Turner

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:05 AM

Fr David Moser

Dear Father David,

Just to let you know that Holy Virgin Cathedral does not have the book. Neither do most online booksellers. For the few that do the prices range from US$ 89 to 200+. I'm asking the Lord to help find me a copy at an affordable price.

P.S. Neither the Toronto Public Libraries, nor the University of Toronto Libraries carry a copy.

Blessings,

Norman Turner

#10 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:11 AM

What about calling Orthodox churches in Toronto. There is also a monastery in Toronto (1 hour away) I have been to and they had many books but I do not remember to have seen that particular book when I visited last year. You can call and see what they recommend.

#11 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:11 PM

The online bookseller chapters.indigo.ca lists Archimandrite Moore's St. Seraphim of Sarov: A Spiritual Biography for $20.50. Dormition Books has it listed for $30.00. Both prices are in Canadian dollars.

If time is a big factor, chapters.indigo.ca has a Quick Ship Courier Service that does same-day or next-day shipping in the Greater Toronto Area (Canadian $5.95 per order plus $1.95 per item).

Mike

#12 Norman Turner

Norman Turner

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:51 AM

The online bookseller chapters.indigo.ca lists Archimandrite Moore's St. Seraphim of Sarov: A Spiritual Biography for $20.50. Dormition Books has it listed for $30.00. Both prices are in Canadian dollars.

If time is a big factor, chapters.indigo.ca has a Quick Ship Courier Service that does same-day or next-day shipping in the Greater Toronto Area (Canadian $5.95 per order plus $1.95 per item).

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Dormition books have run out of stock, & Chapters list the book as temporarily unavailable. Archangelsbooks tells me that the publisher has gone out of business & only used copies might be available.

Thanks for your help on my behalf.

Norman Turner

#13 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:49 AM

Archangelsbooks tells me that the publisher has gone out of business & only used copies might be available.

Ah, yes, that's right - I completely forgot. New Sarov Press was run by the Blanco monastery which has been effectively dissolved due to the conviction of various monastics of child sexual abuse. It might be possible for someone to get ahold of the rights to the book and republish it (definitely worthy endeavor) - but the former publisher is no more.

Fr David Moser

#14 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:53 AM

Yikes. Sorry - should've checked the availability. I tried the network of used bookstores I keep links to, but that doesn't come out any better than what you found already - best price available was around $90, worst was nearly $300. The one copy I found for less was marked "sold".

Unless you know Romanian? I did stumble across copies of "Sfantul Serafim de Sarov. O biografie spirituala (arhim. Lazarus Moore)" at several Romanian booksellers after I mistyped "seraphim" on one search.

Mike

#15 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:57 AM

Looks like a reprint is in the works. I emailed a British store that listed it, and got this reply:

No, sorry it is not available. We should revise the booklist on our website which getting out of date.

Yes, sadly, we do know about New Sarov Press. I have been in touch with the executors of Fr Lazarus literary estate. They are preparing to reprint this book and are currently working on the text. They consider that some editing is necessary. But I think it should be republished later this year.

Probably won't be out in time for your vacation, though :-(

Mike

#16 Norman Turner

Norman Turner

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

Looks like a reprint is in the works. I emailed a British store that listed it, and got this reply:

Probably won't be out in time for your vacation, though :-(

Mike

Thanks for your help, Mike, and for the new information.

Norman Turner

#17 Owen Jones

Owen Jones

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

I think it refers to being in a very high state of receptivity to God's presence so that this becomes a power and energy that can be perceived and absorbed by others, as much by your visage as anything you say or do.

#18 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

Arch. Lazarus Moore's Spiritual Biography of St Seraphim of Sarov is in stock at the bookshop at the monastery here. Sister Magadalen is the person to ask. She'll give you a price for the book +p.p. Phone 0044 1621 816 471 or write to Sister Magdalen, The Old Rectory, Rectory Road, Tolleshunt Knights, Maldon, Essex, England, CM9 8EZ. It's one of my most treasured books!

#19 Norman Turner

Norman Turner

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:22 AM

I think it refers to being in a very high state of receptivity to God's presence so that this becomes a power and energy that can be perceived and absorbed by others, as much by your visage as anything you say or do.

Thanks Owen. I received an interpretation from Archimandrite George at Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary at Jordanville. In part, he writes -

I think St. Seraphim meant exactly what he said. He was speaking from his own experience. He was emphasizing the importance of working on saving your own soul (acquiring the spirit of peace), ...[or, taking the beam out of your own eye before going to help your brother] and then you will really be able to save those around you. It will come naturally. All we really need to do is work on saving our own soul. The spirit of peace and love will effect those around us and bring them to Christ....but we can't give what we don't have.

Norm Turner, Toronto

#20 Norman Turner

Norman Turner

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:28 AM

Arch. Lazarus Moore's Spiritual Biography of St Seraphim of Sarov is in stock at the bookshop at the monastery here. Sister Magadalen is the person to ask. She'll give you a price for the book +p.p. Phone 0044 1621 816 471 or write to Sister Magdalen, The Old Rectory, Rectory Road, Tolleshunt Knights, Maldon, Essex, England, CM9 8EZ. It's one of my most treasured books!

Thanks Andreas, I will try to contact Sister Magadalen on Friday, Jan. 18th. Right now, it is the middle of the night in England.

Norm Turner, Toronto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users