#21 Norman Turner

Norman Turner

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Does anyone know the specific English text where St. Seraphim's quote, Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you shall be saved. may be found? Also, the location of the original Russian text? I would like to translate to English (for myself) the exact, original Russian text.

Edited by Herman Blaydoe, 19 January 2013 - 06:45 PM.
Fixed text formatting tag

#22 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

The original Russian is: стяжи дух мирен и тысячи вокруг тебя спасутся. 'Acquire spirit of peace and thousands around you will be saved' is the exact translation. In Russian books about St Seraphim, it is in sections called 'Spiritual Instructions'. In English, it is in 'St Seraphim of Sarov: A Spiritual Biography' by Archimandrite Lazarus Moore, New Sarov Press, 1994 at p 126. There, it is stated to be from a conversation between St Seraphim and Novice John (Tikhonov) but St Seraphim said something on the same lines several times.

#23 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

T it is stated to be from a conversation between St Seraphim and Novice John (Tikhonov) but St Seraphim said something on the same lines several times.

I seem to recall that it is also found in St Seraphim's well known conversation with N.A. Motovilov on the acquisition of the Holy Spirit.

Fr David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users