Photo
- - - - -

Use of Hebrew for the Orthodoxy Liturgy?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Anna J.

Anna J.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:20 AM

So I know Hebrew is used in the liturgy of the Jerusalem Patriarch in Israel, but I was wondering if it was used any where outside of those boundaries? I know, for the most part, the Jerusalem Patriarch outside of said area uses Greek (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong), but I was wondering if there were any other instances where Hebrew is used?

#2 Kris

Kris

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

So I know Hebrew is used in the liturgy of the Jerusalem Patriarch in Israel, but I was wondering if it was used any where outside of those boundaries? I know, for the most part, the Jerusalem Patriarch outside of said area uses Greek (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong), but I was wondering if there were any other instances where Hebrew is used?

As far as I know, the churches in the Holy Land use Greek and Arabic almost exclusively. I attended several Patriarchal services in Jerusalem and did not hear Hebrew used once. The only time I heard Hebrew was during Pascha when the Gospel was read in a variety of different languages.

#3 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

I read an article a couple years back, which mentioned at least one Russian Orthodox priest serving in Hebrew in the Holy Land. Presumably, he was under the MP, but also operating with the blessing of the JP, of course. There is apparently a community of Russian Jews who became Orthodox Christians in Russia and emigrated to Israel. From my understanding, they are not looked on favorably by the Israeli citizenry or government.

Eric

#4 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:55 PM

I believe the Thomas Church in India uses quite a bit of Aramaic.

#5 Kris

Kris

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

I believe the Thomas Church in India uses quite a bit of Aramaic.

I know Aramaic is the main liturgical language of the Syrian Orthodox Church (which includes the Thomas church in India), the Assyrian Church of the East (Nestorian), as well as the Chaldean and Maronite Catholics, but I don't believe it is used among any of our own Eastern Orthodox Churches.

By Thomas Church, do you mean the large Oriental church, or is there also an EO presence in India by that name?

#6 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:05 PM

I think it's the Oriental Church.

#7 Anna J.

Anna J.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:36 AM

Hmmm, interesting. I'll look into that.

Do you recall why the Israeli government was giving them a hard time, out of curiosity? That's odd...

I read an article a couple years back, which mentioned at least one Russian Orthodox priest serving in Hebrew in the Holy Land. Presumably, he was under the MP, but also operating with the blessing of the JP, of course. There is apparently a community of Russian Jews who became Orthodox Christians in Russia and emigrated to Israel. From my understanding, they are not looked on favorably by the Israeli citizenry or government.

Eric

#8 Kris

Kris

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

Do you recall why the Israeli government was giving them a hard time, out of curiosity? That's odd...

It is probably seen as an attempt to convert Jews to Christianity, which naturally would not sit well with the Israeli authorities. Not that relations between the Israelis and the Orthodox is a bed of roses in any case.

#9 Vasile Dionisie

Vasile Dionisie

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:38 AM

It's a pitty , but Kris is right. But it's said that a large number of jews will become christian orthodox in the apocaliptic times , isn't it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users