#1 Cristina Novakovic

Cristina Novakovic

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:03 PM

Hi

I've been reading other people's threads and found lots of information about books, websites and some movies. I've watched Ostrov and loved it! So different from what we're used to nowadays in the West, so deep. Without any special effects, just the truth...

I'm interested in other movies that are important for the Orthodox to watch. Andrei Rublev seemed very hard to "digest" and I'm thinking maybe I'm not at the right level for that.

Does anybody know of any other good films? Or even short videos? I know there are a few on youtube. But would appreciate any links. Unfortunately, we tend to comment on the films full of blasphemies and why we shouldn't watch them, while there isn't much else to fill the space. Any hope for the TV generation? Can we find any Orthodox video materials?

Cristina

#2 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:16 PM

Hi

I've been reading other people's threads and found lots of information about books, websites and some movies. I've watched Ostrov and loved it! So different from what we're used to nowadays in the West, so deep. Without any special effects, just the truth...

I'm interested in other movies that are important for the Orthodox to watch. Andrei Rublev seemed very hard to "digest" and I'm thinking maybe I'm not at the right level for that.

Does anybody know of any other good films? Or even short videos? I know there are a few on youtube. But would appreciate any links. Unfortunately, we tend to comment on the films full of blasphemies and why we shouldn't watch them, while there isn't much else to fill the space. Any hope for the TV generation? Can we find any Orthodox video materials?

Cristina

Hi Cristina,

I share some of your thoughts. I have seen some Orthodox videos in Greek. One was the life of Saint Mary of Egypt, the other one the Nun Maria (the one with the beautiful eyes that enucleated her eyes because a pasha fell in love with her eyes and was courting her on a daily basis in her convent and promised to give her the best of the worldly things), and some other videos like that. Needless to say those were very moving and I have this dream to make Orthodox movies from lives of the saints... but I think it will remain only a dream for me. I hope that many more Orthodox can start making movies with themes from our beautiful Orthodoxy.

Edited by Nina, 19 January 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#3 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

We've got lots of videos/DVDs about saints and monasteries but they're all in Russian except two: The Return of the Icon, about the Tikhvin icon, and Wondrous is God in His Saints, an Orthodox life of Tsar Martyr Nicholas. As for drama/fiction I don't suppose these are exactly thick on the ground. It's not really Orthodox but you can get 'Alexander Nevsky' by Eisenstein with English subtitles.

#4 Cristina Novakovic

Cristina Novakovic

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:50 AM

Hi Cristina,

I share some of your thoughts. I have seen some Orthodox videos in Greek. One was the life of Saint Mary of Egypt, the other one the Nun Maria (the one with the beautiful eyes that enucleated her eyes because a pasha fell in love with her eyes and was courting her on a daily basis in her convent and promised to give her the best of the worldly things), and some other videos like that. Needless to say those were very moving and I have this dream to make Orthodox movies from lives of the saints... but I think it will remain only a dream for me. I hope that many more Orthodox can start making movies with themes from our beautiful Orthodoxy.

Hi Nina,

Thanks for your answer. I have read before about a man who took out his eyes because a woman had liked them. I don't remember exactly who it was, but I believe it was part of the story of a city who were praying for something (I think they were under Muslim occupation and threatened to be converted by force). He was a goldsmith, also working on church objects. A woman came to him with a ring and tried to lead him into temptation admiring his eyes. That's why he took them out. Then the whole city fasted, prayed and had a procession with the icons. The miracle asked for took place and that was thanks to that young man. Maybe you know more than me?

Anyway, I'm afraid I don't speak Greek :-( But it's great that you want to produce your own movies! I'm sure many people would like to help in any way possible. And, I was thinking, until you get the chance to do that, it would be wonderful if somebody could translate some of the ones available at the moment. Even if it's just a word document that we could use to follow the action in the movie.

Where can we find those movies in Greek?

Cristina

#5 Cristina Novakovic

Cristina Novakovic

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:13 AM

We've got lots of videos/DVDs about saints and monasteries but they're all in Russian except two: The Return of the Icon, about the Tikhvin icon, and Wondrous is God in His Saints, an Orthodox life of Tsar Martyr Nicholas. As for drama/fiction I don't suppose these are exactly thick on the ground. It's not really Orthodox but you can get 'Alexander Nevsky' by Eisenstein with English subtitles.

Thank you for this. I know The Return of the Icon can be found at St John the Baptist Monastery in Essex. What about the other ones?

And, as in the answer to Nina's post, could I also extend the plead for translations to the Russian speakers too? My problems is that I am on such a low spiritual level that I cannot do many of the things that are easy for you: read the prayers, read the lives of the saints, the Bible... It would be of real help to have some graphic representations. It might sound childish, but if you think of the different skills as well, you know, VARK (Visual, Audio, Read/Write, Kinaesthetic)... And I am also hoping this would help some of my friends who would like to find out more about Orthodoxy but just can't get themselves to start somewhere.

Cristina

#6 Angela V.

Angela V.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:02 AM

Hi Cristina,

If you google Light and Life Publishing, they have DVD's and Vedio's of certain Saints and possibly movies in English!

In Christ
+Angela

#7 Angela V.

Angela V.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:10 AM

Hi CRISTINA,

If you google Light and Life Publishing, they have DVD's and Vedio's of certain Saints and possibly movies in English! www.light-n-life.com

+Angela

#8 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:55 PM

This may be a bit of a fishing expedition here, but hey lets try anyway.

There has been some discussion of the need for films based on the lives of the saints. Is there anyone out there in a realistic position to actually produce such a film? I am looking for an independent filmmaker who is looking to produce and Orthodox script which based on the lives of the saints or like "Ostrov" is based on a particular characteristic of the spiritual life. Actually I am not looking for such a person for myself, it's just that I am acquainted with an Orthodox screenwriter who has produced a couple of scripts that would fit the bill, but which have not been produced. So are there any indie film makers out there (or maybe you know one) who want to do an Orthodox film?

Fr David Moser

#9 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:24 PM

Hi Nina,

Thanks for your answer. I have read before about a man who took out his eyes because a woman had liked them. I don't remember exactly who it was, but I believe it was part of the story of a city who were praying for something (I think they were under Muslim occupation and threatened to be converted by force). He was a goldsmith, also working on church objects. A woman came to him with a ring and tried to lead him into temptation admiring his eyes. That's why he took them out. Then the whole city fasted, prayed and had a procession with the icons. The miracle asked for took place and that was thanks to that young man. Maybe you know more than me?

Anyway, I'm afraid I don't speak Greek :-( But it's great that you want to produce your own movies! I'm sure many people would like to help in any way possible. And, I was thinking, until you get the chance to do that, it would be wonderful if somebody could translate some of the ones available at the moment. Even if it's just a word document that we could use to follow the action in the movie.

Where can we find those movies in Greek?

Cristina

Wow, that is also a beautiful story with the goldsmith. I never heard of it though. Thank you for sharing it!

Those Greek movies I borrowed from a friend of a friend and they both are in two different states now. But the videos were old and made in Greece. But the idea Angela gave is great. I will check out that site also.

#10 Tessa Miljanic

Tessa Miljanic

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:07 AM

Crisitna,

Evlogeite.

Another WONDERFUL documentary film is St. Nilokaj Velimirovic the Serb and it is available here http://www.orthodoxgifts.com. Seriously it is one of THE best Orthodox movies I have ever seen, very well put together with tons of of never before seen photos, footage and more.

Also there is Passage to Paradise, which is in Greek but has English subtitles. It is also a documentary about a Monastery on the Holy Mountain. Some people I have borrowed it from said it was a little slow, but great cinematography. It is available from St. Archangel Michael Bookstore in North Carolina.

I can see what you mean about Andrei Rublev. I felt the same way until I had a discussion with someone who did he thesis in college on it. After talking to him I watched it a few more times and obtained a greater appreciation for it. But it is a little dark.

Hope that helps.

In Christ,
Tessa

Hope that helps

#11 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:56 AM

Those Greek movies I borrowed from a friend of a friend and they both are in two different states now. But the videos were old and made in Greece.

It is possible to convert video to digital (DVD) format and it costs much less than it used to. The same can be done for audio cassette and vinyl records, they can be converted and put onto CD.

#12 John W.

John W.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:02 PM

The Monastery: Mr. Vig and the Nun
http://www.themonast.../monastery.html

#13 John W.

John W.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:05 PM

Yes, I know the portrayal of the Church and her priests is not exactly a sympathetic one in this picture, but my family and I will be watching "Alexander Nevsky" soon before the relics of this Saint come to America later this year: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029850/

#14 Cristina Novakovic

Cristina Novakovic

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

Hi CRISTINA,

If you google Light and Life Publishing, they have DVD's and Vedio's of certain Saints and possibly movies in English! www.light-n-life.com

+Angela

Thank you so much! What a good website, they've got so many videos and books. I'm truly impressed. And I can't wait to get a few DVDs :-)

Thanks

+ Cristina

#15 Cristina Novakovic

Cristina Novakovic

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:46 PM

Is there anyone out there in a realistic position to actually produce such a film? I am looking for an independent filmmaker who is looking to produce an Orthodox script based on the lives of the saints or like "Ostrov" based on a particular characteristic of the spiritual life. Actually it's just that I am acquainted with an Orthodox screenwriter who has produced a couple of scripts that would fit the bill, but which have not been produced. So are there any indie film makers out there (or maybe you know one) who want to do an Orthodox film?

Fr David Moser

This website is visited by so many people, I'm sure someone will have an acquaintance in the film making business. In fact I am going to ask around these days. It's great that it's not just an idea, but there are scripts ready.

Edited by Father David Moser, 21 January 2008 - 07:19 PM.
fix quote

#16 Cristina Novakovic

Cristina Novakovic

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

Hi,

Thanks for this. I had heard of the film on St. Nilokaj Velimirovic the Serb, but didn't know where to get it from. I'm happy
now :-)

I'd be interested in the meanings that I didn't get from Andrei Rublev. Somebody was saying that he had cryptic messages in his movies, to hide them from the communist regime. Maybe you meant something else?

I was happy to also find THE movie Jesus of Nazareth on the website you sent me. I used to watch it before Easter every year in Romania, and now I'd like my family and friends from here to get to see it too.

+ Cristina

#17 Cristina Novakovic

Cristina Novakovic

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

The Monastery: Mr. Vig and the Nun
http://www.themonast.../monastery.html

Thanks. We're already in the queue for it :-)

Maybe there are a few Orthodox movies out there after all! Thank you all for your contributions.

+ Cristina

#18 Robert Hegwood

Robert Hegwood

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:03 AM

This movie is due to be released in the US on Feb. 5. It looks like it might be good. I've ordered it. "The Monastery: Mr. Vig and the Nun". I hope it is of similar depth and artistry as Ostrov.

http://www.amazon.co...ef=pd_rhf_p_t_1

#19 John W.

John W.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:29 AM

This thread makes me think about some Orthodox-tinged films that I have never seen.

I'm thinking about the filmic adaptations of Dostoevsky's: Brothers Karamazov or Crime and Punishment. I have seen ads for these movies, but I have never watched them. Are they any good?

I tried to watch Kurosawa's Japanese take on The Idiot but I must confess that I fell fast asleep (I think) about 15 minutes into the flick. At the time I was weary from a bad cold, but I never felt motivated to hit "play" when I woke up later...

Is there any Orthodox content in the films by director Emir Kusturica? I've never seen any of his work, but I'm intrigued by what I read about him in the Los Angeles Times, particularly this bit:

Kusturica formally converted to Orthodox Christianity inside a thick-walled monastery and took the Serbian name Nemanja, in honor of the founder of a glorious Serb dynasty who was canonized as a saint.

Although his family had been Muslim for several hundred years, Kusturica said that it was a feature adopted only to survive the Ottoman occupation, as many Bosnian Slavs did at the time. He now feels they were really Serbs all along.

"I've reached the 50th year of my life, and now every question related with life also includes thinking about death," he told the Belgrade newsmagazine NIN. "When I leave, I want to leave to my offspring a clear idea about identity."

Source: http://travel.latime...irserbia13aug13

#20 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:03 AM

This thread makes me think about some Orthodox-tinged films that I have never seen.

I'm thinking about the filmic adaptations of Dostoevsky's: Brothers Karamazov or Crime and Punishment. I have seen ads for these movies, but I have never watched them. Are they any good?

I tried to watch Kurosawa's Japanese take on The Idiot

Russian television did a miniseries of the The Idiot a couple of years ago. It is on dvd with English subtitles (however, if you have read the book it follows very closely anyway). Its about 10 hours long - and I didn't fall asleep at all.

Fr David Moser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users