83 replies to this topic

#21 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:24 AM

Is there any Orthodox content in the films by director Emir Kusturica? I've never seen any of his work, but I'm intrigued by what I read about him in the Los Angeles Times, particularly this bit:

Kusturica formally converted to Orthodox Christianity inside a thick-walled monastery and took the Serbian name Nemanja, in honor of the founder of a glorious Serb dynasty who was canonized as a saint.

Although his family had been Muslim for several hundred years, Kusturica said that it was a feature adopted only to survive the Ottoman occupation, as many Bosnian Slavs did at the time. He now feels they were really Serbs all along.

"I've reached the 50th year of my life, and now every question related with life also includes thinking about death," he told the Belgrade newsmagazine NIN. "When I leave, I want to leave to my offspring a clear idea about identity."

Source: http://travel.latime...irserbia13aug13

Yes I saw a movie from him, it was good... I do not remember which one it was. The theme was from the war, but not like an usual Hollywood movie.

Speaking of other movies. A beautiful Christian message is conveyed by the movie 'The life of others' (Das Leben der Anderen) - Best foreign movie at the Oscars. It is not about monasteries, monastics, saints, but about an average person working for the communist government in East Germany, who while spying on a dissident intellectual is transformed and comes to typify "love thy neighbor" commandment at the end.

#22 Tessa Miljanic

Tessa Miljanic

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:13 AM

Yes I saw a movie from him, it was good... I do not remember which one it was. The theme was from the war, but not like an usual Hollywood movie.

The film is called "Underground" in English, and "There Once Was a Country" in Serbian.

Although I LOOOOOVE Nemanja (Emir) Kusturica's movies, I would not describe his movies as having Orthodox Themes or undertones. He is an accomplished writer and director, and his movies are that kind of weird, artsy, european style; with lots of black humor, and things that frankly people that are not from the Balkans would have a hard time understanding. His best film, and one that put him on the map is called "Time of the Gypsies" ("Dom za Vjesanje"), and it is a depressing, fantasy style look into the life of poor Roma in the southern part of the Former Yugoslavia. Unless you knew anything about their way of life it might not even make sense to you. You can rent them with English subtitles pretty easily. Also there is "Black Cat/White Cat", a comedy about a Roma family.

#23 Cristina Novakovic

Cristina Novakovic

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:20 AM

Hi

I've watched "Mr Vig and the Nun" this week. I'm still "digesting" it. Certainly not what I had expected. I mean, I knew it was a documentary, but it just seemed so... wrong at times. I appreciated Mr Vig's fight with himself and his passions. But, somehow, it seemed like the whole message of the movie was confusing. I can imagine that a non-orthodox can very easily get the idea that the Russian nuns just bulied and fooled the poor old man. I am trying to understand the director's point of view, but... it's hard. I really thought Ostrov was better, more straightforward.

I'd like to watch this film again. I'm hoping to discover new meanings. I wonder what kind of priest Mr Vig used to be, as he mentions this in the film. He seemed to be far from the values of Orthodoxy. And yet so close, in his desire to change, in spite of himself.

Has anyone else here seen the movie? I'm interested in how somebody else received it. It might just be that I have got a long way to go before I can learn more about orthodoxy and appreciate the film differently.

In Christ,
Cristina

#24 Anya

Anya

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:35 AM

This is not about Orthodox movies, but I just decided to post it here in case anyone is interested:

Ingmar Bergman's trilogy: Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, and The Silence.

Have not seen The Silence, but the other two I really liked. The priest in Winter Light is Lutheran I believe.

The first two movies are about love in God, crisis in faith, and the power of God's love.

#25 Victor Mihailoff

Victor Mihailoff

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:12 AM

Hi

I've been reading other people's threads and found lots of information about books, websites and some movies. I've watched Ostrov and loved it! So different from what we're used to nowadays in the West, so deep. Without any special effects, just the truth...

I'm interested in other movies that are important for the Orthodox to watch. Andrei Rublev seemed very hard to "digest" and I'm thinking maybe I'm not at the right level for that.

Does anybody know of any other good films? Or even short videos? I know there are a few on youtube. But would appreciate any links. Unfortunately, we tend to comment on the films full of blasphemies and why we shouldn't watch them, while there isn't much else to fill the space. Any hope for the TV generation? Can we find any Orthodox video materials?

Cristina

Dear servant in Christ, Christina:

I watched a Christian DVD film that was not Orthodox but many members of my parish also watched it and a senior proto priest liked it very much. It does not contradict Orthodox theoloy and is actually a Christian Sci Fi movie made by Christians. It has Gavin Mcloud (was Captain Merryl Stubing on "The Love Boat" TV series long ago) as one of the main characters. Some other actors are recognisable too. It is called: "Time Changer" and is about a bible Professor at a seminary in 1890 who travels through Gavin Mcloud's time machine to 2001. He is shocked not only by what he sees on TV, in the movies and on the streets, but also in the way Christians have changed from what they were in his time. It has humorous bits like when the prof. chases a child thief through a park. It is funny because the actor tried to run like he thought an old fashioned Bible professor would run to keep up his poise and decorum. It has a warning at the end when the time machine owner tries to learn when the world ends by setting the controls for different dates and attempting to send a Bible to that future date. The first date fails and he keeps trying dates closer to our own time.
Very entertaining and very interesting for Christian viewers like us Orthodox.
God bless you and yours! victor

#26 Vitalis

Vitalis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:17 AM

I'd suggest watching "The Return" by Andrew Zvyagintsev. Info + my little comment.

#27 Janice Chadwick

Janice Chadwick

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:42 PM

Crisitna,

Evlogeite.

Another WONDERFUL documentary film is St. Nilokaj Velimirovic the Serb and it is available here http://www.orthodoxgifts.com. Seriously it is one of THE best Orthodox movies I have ever seen, very well put together with tons of of never before seen photos, footage and more.

Also there is Passage to Paradise, which is in Greek but has English subtitles. It is also a documentary about a Monastery on the Holy Mountain. Some people I have borrowed it from said it was a little slow, but great cinematography. It is available from St. Archangel Michael Bookstore in North Carolina.

I can see what you mean about Andrei Rublev. I felt the same way until I had a discussion with someone who did he thesis in college on it. After talking to him I watched it a few more times and obtained a greater appreciation for it. But it is a little dark.

Hope that helps.

In Christ,
Tessa

Hope that helps

Tessa, do you know if that DVD is available a format that will play on DVD players in the US. At Nikolaj is my parish's patron saint (we were the first one in the world named for him). Both our library and bookstore has the DVD, but most people can't play it because they don't have a DVD that will play all formats. If you or anyone else on this board know of anywhere that sells it in the format used in the US, please let me know. He was an amazing man and saint, and I am so thankful to have him for our parish's patron saint. His icon is prominent in my icon corner. For his feast day last year, Fr. printed his prayer, "Bless My Enemies, O Lord", which I keep in a prominent place to inspire me.

#28 Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:07 AM

Hi

I saw a Russian made move called THE ISLAND. I loved it. English subtitles.
dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

I've been reading other people's threads and found lots of information about books, websites and some movies. I've watched Ostrov and loved it! So different from what we're used to nowadays in the West, so deep. Without any special effects, just the truth...

I'm interested in other movies that are important for the Orthodox to watch. Andrei Rublev seemed very hard to "digest" and I'm thinking maybe I'm not at the right level for that.

Does anybody know of any other good films? Or even short videos? I know there are a few on youtube. But would appreciate any links. Unfortunately, we tend to comment on the films full of blasphemies and why we shouldn't watch them, while there isn't much else to fill the space. Any hope for the TV generation? Can we find any Orthodox video materials?

Cristina[/QUOTE]

#29 Fr Dn Theodoros

Fr Dn Theodoros

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:59 AM

Hi

I saw a Russian made move called THE ISLAND. I loved it. English subtitles.
dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Cristina

Absolutely one of the finest films made. My wife and I watched it 3 times during lent. I honestly cannot pick out a favorite scene. From beginning to end, the film was very meaningful. One thing I did learn was how important a humble spirit is to God.

#30 Julian K.

Julian K.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:09 AM

Hi

Cristina

Dear Cristina and the others,

If you enjoyed "Ostrov," you may probably like to take a look at movies in the list below. Let us not forget that cinema is an art, with specific constraints and possibilities, and directors can choose different artistic means to convey truths of faith. Sometimes, you can gain powerful insights from a movie like "L' Argent," which doesn't have any explicit religious imagery, but describes the mechanism of evil in the world as no other movie manages to do. From this point of view, some movies with explicit religious imagery may not necessarily be the most convincing in terms of conveying truths of faith (there's plenty of movies that focus on Christ's life, but, with a few exceptions, they are awful pieces of work, unfortunately).

Here's the list of great movies:

A) In the Orthodox tradition:
first and foremost, Andrey Tarkovsky:
- "Andrei Rublev"
- "Stalker"
- "Sacrifice"

Nicolae Margineanu:
- "Bless You, Prison"

B) In the Catholic tradition:

first and foremost, Robert Bresson:
- "Diary of a Country Priest" - this may be one of the best works of art with religious intent
- "L' Argent"
- "Au Hazard Balthazar"

Krzysztof Kieslowski:
- "Decalogue" (a series of 10 short movies, dedicated to each of the 10 commandments)

Luis Buñuel:
- "Nazarin"

Pier Paolo Pasolini:
- "Il Vangelo secondo Matteo"

Maria Luisa Bemberg:
- "Yo, la peor de todas"

C) In the Protestant tradition:

first and foremost, Ingmar Bergman:
- "The Seventh Seal"
- "Winter Light"

Carl Theodor Dreyer:
- "The Word"

In Christ,
Julian

#31 Deanna Leonti

Deanna Leonti

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:36 AM

Dear Cristina and the others,

If you enjoyed "Ostrov," you may probably like to take a look at movies in the list below. Let us not forget that cinema is an art, with specific constraints and possibilities, and directors can choose different artistic means to convey truths of faith. Sometimes, you can gain powerful insights from a movie like "L' Argent," which doesn't have any explicit religious imagery, but describes the mechanism of evil in the world as no other movie manages to do. From this point of view, some movies with explicit religious imagery may not necessarily be the most convincing in terms of conveying truths of faith (there's plenty of movies that focus on Christ's life, but, with a few exceptions, they are awful pieces of work, unfortunately).

Here's the list of great movies:

A) In the Orthodox tradition:
first and foremost, Andrey Tarkovsky:
- "Andrei Rublev"
- "Stalker"
- "Sacrifice"

Nicolae Margineanu:
- "Bless You, Prison"

B) In the Catholic tradition:

first and foremost, Robert Bresson:
- "Diary of a Country Priest" - this may be one of the best works of art with religious intent
- "L' Argent"
- "Au Hazard Balthazar"

Krzysztof Kieslowski:
- "Decalogue" (a series of 10 short movies, dedicated to each of the 10 commandments)

Luis Buñuel:
- "Nazarin"

Pier Paolo Pasolini:
- "Il Vangelo secondo Matteo"

Maria Luisa Bemberg:
- "Yo, la peor de todas"

C) In the Protestant tradition:

first and foremost, Ingmar Bergman:
- "The Seventh Seal"
- "Winter Light"

Carl Theodor Dreyer:
- "The Word"

In Christ,
Julian

Thanks

Deanna

#32 Deanna Leonti

Deanna Leonti

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:05 AM

This is not about Orthodox movies, but I just decided to post it here in case anyone is interested:

Ingmar Bergman's trilogy: Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, and The Silence.

Have not seen The Silence, but the other two I really liked. The priest in Winter Light is Lutheran I believe.

The first two movies are about love in God, crisis in faith, and the power of God's love.

I am interested and Thank You for the suggestions.
Have you seen the Documentary of "The Boy in the Bubble"?
unlike the tv drama version of" Boy in the Plastic Bubble".

I had also read a movie that was suppose to come out called "Nicholas", but I haven't heard anything yet.
Interesting....

Deanna

#33 Jen G.

Jen G.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:30 PM

On a much lighter note, a Catholic movie I really enjoy is 'Millions'. It is very sweet, funny, and deep at the same time. It is hard to begin to describe the premise, but it is about death, money, family, and Saints.

It's also a good movie and/or book for kids.

#34 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

http://www.themakingofasaint.com/

This is a preview of a movie which is being made for Elder Filotheos Zervakos from Greece. This beloved Elder is in the process of canonization.

#35 Cyprian (Humphrey)

Cyprian (Humphrey)

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

This may be a bit of a fishing expedition here, but hey lets try anyway.

There has been some discussion of the need for films based on the lives of the saints. Is there anyone out there in a realistic position to actually produce such a film? I am looking for an independent filmmaker who is looking to produce and Orthodox script which based on the lives of the saints or like "Ostrov" is based on a particular characteristic of the spiritual life. Actually I am not looking for such a person for myself, it's just that I am acquainted with an Orthodox screenwriter who has produced a couple of scripts that would fit the bill, but which have not been produced. So are there any indie film makers out there (or maybe you know one) who want to do an Orthodox film?

Fr David Moser

Hmmm... Copied and emailed to a indie movie-maker friend of mine. Who knows? He just might be interested.

#36 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:32 PM

http://www.godsgarde...o_-_sd_lrg.html

Very interesting!

#37 Andrew D. Morrell

Andrew D. Morrell

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:55 AM

My wife and I have watched this 32 minute film ("from the Little Mountain") a few times since we got it a few days ago. It's a very well done 'year in the life' of the Hermitage Of the Holy Cross, a monastery located in West Virginia, USA. Film info here: http://tinyurl.com/mswc7w

The production values are excellent and I was surprised to see it was filmed and edited by the monks themselves.

We have also been blessed by watching the recent DVD release of the life of St John Maximovitch: Film info here: http://tinyurl.com/nzqhzv

In Christ,
Andrew

#38 Mediterranean

Mediterranean

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

"The Mission" ( starring: Robert Deniro, Jeromy Irons...) is one of the bast classics. That is story about how independent Jesuits mission convert a South American Indians to Christianity and try to protect Indians from political games in Spain, Portugal and Vatican.

"Kingdom of Heaven"
by Ridley Scott.

"Fanny and Alexander" by Ingmar Bergman.

"The Priest" by Antonia Bird.

"The Name of the Rose" based on the book of the same name by Umberto Eco (starring:Sean Connery, Christian Slater).

#39 Jim McQuiggin

Jim McQuiggin

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:09 PM

"The Mission" ( starring: Robert Deniro, Jeromy Irons...) is one of the bast classics. That is story about how independent Jesuits mission convert a South American Indians to Christianity and try to protect Indians from political games in Spain, Portugal and Vatican.

This has been one of my favourite movies. My family and I spent three years in Paraguay in the early 80s in Protestant mission work (I taught in an English-language school). The movie came out about a year after our return to Canada. Although it has a few minor flaws, it is generally accurate historically. The struggle of how to live the Christian life is presented very clearly. Twenty years later and after countless viewings, I still find myself asking what I would have done in that position or in others that are equally challenging.

#40 Mediterranean

Mediterranean

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:29 PM

Jim McQuiggin:

This has been one of my favourite movies.

My favourite too.:)

Movies from my list is not strictly Orthodox but talk about existence problem from ontological perspective.....how one person showing another person.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users