#41 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

Dear all,

For those who are interested, Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and Austria has written a two-volume work on St Isaac, in Russian, which seems to have been particularly well-received. I've not yet read it myself, apart from extracts, but I've heard very good comments about its contents.

I don't know if there are plans yet to translate it into English; however, I believe Les Editions du SERF have translated it into French, for those who are able to read in that language.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#42 Misha

Misha

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:54 PM

These works of bishop Hilarion have not been well received in Greece.
Some prominent priests and theologians claim that they are based on pseudo Isaac writings,who are in fact of monophysite origine.

For those sisters and brothers who can read greek here s a web page about this issue.

http://www.orthros.o...gIsaakSyros.htm

Edited by Misha, 21 June 2008 - 07:27 AM.

#43 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:13 PM

I was glancing through the HTM site the other day, and on their page for the xerox of Ascetical Homilies they have this note:

It is our hope, with the Lord's help, to print a second edition of our translation of Saint Isaac's Ascetical Homilies, which has been out of print for a number of years, by the end of this year (2009).

Apparently they've been getting lots of questions about this because thery've added it to their FAQ:

1. When will The Ascetical Homilies of St Isaac the Syrian be republished?
Lord willing, we hope to have The Ascetical Homilies available by the end of this year (2009). Please be sure you have made an account on this web site and checked the Newsletter box. We will send a notice to you when the book is ready.
last updated - 2009-03-20 16:59:23

- Michael

#44 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:10 PM

The "Lord willing" date has been changed to mid-2010, both in the FAQ and on the page for the Xerox copies.

#45 Nicolo Salerno

Nicolo Salerno

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:58 AM

Does anyone have a copy they'd be willing to sell or if not one they'd scan? I'd pay for the time. I tried contacting the Holy Transfiguration Monastery several times to see if they have any used editions or if they are considering reprinting it, but I have received no response. Thanks.

hi Stuart--i requested an inter-library loan from our library here in boise and received the book in a week's time. Libraries are a great resource for hard to find books. peace--nicolo

#46 Norman Turner

Norman Turner

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:05 PM

Hi Stuart,

Isaac of Nineveh, Mystic Treatises, are available free online. They are in the public domain. Go to website: http://www.archive.o...MysticTreatises. This is the Arent Jan Wensinck downloadable translation, 1923, Amsterdam. Note, some lines are unintelligible, but that isn't a serious problem. You may wish to reformat the text after you download it. I printed each page doublesided. Then I 3-hold punched it and place it in a Staples 3-ring binder.

Norm Turner, Toronto

#47 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

On the HTM web site they said they aim to have the book next week or end of October.

#48 Christophoros

Christophoros

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:28 PM

Although the first part of the Ascetical Homilies published by Holy Transfiguration Monastery is out of print, St Nectarios Press has for sale the complete second part of the ascetical homilies, just as beautiful and profound as the first part, discovered in 1983 by Dr Sebastion Brock and translated and published for the first time in English in the Corpus Scriptorum Christianorum Orientalium Journal in 1995. Here's the link below:

http://www.stnectari...alog/s_life.htm

Once on the website simply navigate to the following item:

NEW (ISN) ISAAC OF NINEVEH (ISAAC THE SYRIAN): THE SECOND PART, Chapters IV-XLI),
translated by Sebastian Brock. An English translation of a second series of spiritual homilies by St. Isaac from a manuscript discovered in 1983. Very similar to “The Ascetical Homilies” now out of print, this book will fill the void. Limited edition. 251pp. Paper e$44.00 Order

Does anyone know if the Orthodox Church has taken a position on this recently discovered "Second Part" of homilies? There is apparently some controversy over the authorship of these texts, and some claim there is a universalist teaching found in the homilies on hell. See:

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

#49 Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:23 AM

HTM said the copies of the 2nd edition are in, and they are now taking orders. Don't bother with the outrageous pricing people are charging for the 1st edition, this copy is $70 + s&h

#50 Norman Turner

Norman Turner

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:14 PM

Hello Everyone,

I don't know if the 2nd edition of The Ascetical Homilies of Saint Isaac the Syrian deserves a a new post. I haven't seen the new edition, but I'm interested in learning if it is a new translation from Bejan's or any other Syriac text. I suspect it's not. It seems some things have been added and explained in this 2nd edition, but what is critical is the quality and readability of the English translation of the Syriac. My question is, Is the 2nd edition by-and-large a re-working of Wensinck's out-of-print and cumbersome translation, or is it an entirely new translation worthy of critical acclaim? Are there any Syriac scholars among you?

Thanks,
Norm Turner, Toronto

Edited by Norman Turner, 29 November 2011 - 11:16 PM.
to improve grammar

#51 Norman Turner

Norman Turner

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

I have ordered the 2nd edition from Holy Trinity Monastery (Jordanville), and will be able to answer my own questions. The stated price is $70, plus shipping . . . Norm

#52 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

Keeping in mind that their 1st edition of the Brookline translation was not from the awkward Wensinck translation, then it would be surprising if their 2nd edition is. It would be interesting though to see what additions they have made.

In Christ-
Fr Raphael

#53 John S.

John S.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

Hello Everyone,

I don't know if the 2nd edition of The Ascetical Homilies of Saint Isaac the Syrian deserves a a new post. I haven't seen the new edition, but I'm interested in learning if it is a new translation from Bejan's or any other Syriac text. I suspect it's not. It seems some things have been added and explained in this 2nd edition, but what is critical is the quality and readability of the English translation of the Syriac. My question is, Is the 2nd edition by-and-large a re-working of Wensinck's out-of-print and cumbersome translation, or is it an entirely new translation worthy of critical acclaim? Are there any Syriac scholars among you?

Thanks,
Norm Turner, Toronto

Norm,

You could simply write to the monks there and ask:

http://www.thehtm.or...c36c47d16be53c5

Hope this helps!
John

#54 Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

Received my copy a few days ago. Beautiful text! Sturdy binding. 60lb text paper, which is typically a bit lightweight, but perfect for this size book. As for the translation, I am under the impression that it is the same translation as the 1st edition. After I have some time to dig into the Introduction & notes, I hope to be of better help.

#55 Jason Hunt

Jason Hunt

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

on HTM's website, it is stated:

The Introduction has not been omitted, but has only been revised and updated to reflect recent scholarship on Saint Isaac and his homilies; it also includes two maps, one of Arabia and Mesopotamia, showing places associated with Saint Isaac’s life, and one of Western Europe, showing places where manuscripts and printed editions of his homilies are known to have existed from the mid-thirteenth century on.

Appendices B and D of the first edition, and the Epilogue on the Persian Church, have been omitted from the second edition simply to reduce the overall bulk and make the book manageable to read; we will post PDFs of these texts on our website for free download for anyone interested in them.

The second edition also includes two homilies from Bedjan’s Syriac text which were omitted from the first edition; they will be included in Appendix A with the five Syriac homilies of the first edition.

I understand that the Appendices from the first edition and the "Translator’s Epilogue: A Brief Historical and Theological Introduction to the Church of Persia to the End of the Seventh Century" may not be available in PDF online for a few months.

#56 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

From page 107-110 they say which translations they use. They use to the Greek and Western Syriac sources. Only the appendices they use Bedjan's version.

#57 Norman Turner

Norman Turner

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

Belated thanks, Father, for your helpful clarification.

Norm Turner
(father: born Paulo Turtiak, Ternopol)

#58 Norman Turner

Norman Turner

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:25 AM

I have transcribed Homily 71, rewording some cumbersome parts of the text and adding extensive footnotes. This for my personal study. If you wish a copy for your own study, let me know. The copy does not pretend to be error free.

#59 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:14 AM

I just started reading his homilies. I hope this is not a silly question, but why is Saint Isaac the Syrian called the Syrian?
I know he was born in or near Qatar and became Bishop of Nineveh, but how does Syrian fit into the picture?

Ben, the Confused

#60 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:38 AM

WHy was Jesus called the Nazarene? He was born in Bethlehem. AND, "Out of Egypt I have called My Son". But He was the carpenter's Son. So which is it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users