#1 Constantine

Constantine

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:31 PM

Good morning, everyone.

I should like to buy a copy of the Lenten Triodion for my family very soon to use during Great Lent. Before I do I want to know, practically speaking, how one uses it in the home with one's family. Spoken or sung? Daily use, I presume? Etc. Thank you very much.

Yours in Christ,
Constantine

#2 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:29 PM

Good morning, everyone.

I should like to buy a copy of the Lenten Triodion for my family very soon to use during Great Lent. Before I do I want to know, practically speaking, how one uses it in the home with one's family. Spoken or sung? Daily use, I presume? Etc. Thank you very much.

Yours in Christ,
Constantine

Much of the material in the Lenten Triodion is in various tones and normally would be sung; eg the stichiri at Lord I Have Cried & the Aposticha at Vespers. The canon at Matins though, except for the Irmosi, is normally read/chanted in a plain voice.

However when the the tones are not known or in certain simple settings (perhaps at home) all of this material can be read/chanted.

Note that the material found in the Lenten Triodion is only part of the lenten services- the movable part. The other immovable parts are to be found in the Book of Hours; in Russian called the Chasoslov; in Greek the Horologion.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#3 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

Note that the material found in the Lenten Triodion is only part of the lenten services- the movable part. The other immovable parts are to be found in the Book of Hours; in Russian called the Chasoslov; in Greek the Horologion.

Also the material foudn the the Lenten Triodion published by Faber and Faber is, for the most part only the Sunday material. The daily material from the triodion was published by the Monastery of Veil as a separate book (which I think is simply called a "supplement" to the triodion).

What I would suggest for home use is to simply read over together the hymns from the Sunday services during the week following so that you all can recall and talk about what they mean in your lives.

Fr David Moser

#4 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:41 PM

A big PS to the above. The volume we normally have in English called The Lenten Triodion (Mother Maria & Kallistos Ware, Faber or St Tikhon's Press) only contains the main services for Great Lent.

For the weekday material another book is needed called in English- The Lenten Triodion- Supplementary Texts. Having this book is the only way you will have the texts for the weekday services from the 2nd thru the 6th weeks of Great Lent.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#5 Constantine

Constantine

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:40 PM

Also the material foudn the the Lenten Triodion published by Faber and Faber is, for the most part only the Sunday material. The daily material from the triodion was published by the Monastery of Veil as a separate book (which I think is simply called a "supplement" to the triodion).

What I would suggest for home use is to simply read over together the hymns from the Sunday services during the week following so that you all can recall and talk about what they mean in your lives.

Fr David Moser

Dear Fr. David,

Bless, Father!

Thank you very much for the information concerning the supplement to the Lenten Triodion. Your suggestion is similar to what we do at home for our children (well, quite honestly for my wife and myself as well), which is to read the Holy Gospel for the upcoming Sunday, talk about it, etc., so that we may be prepared for the Liturgy and our priest's homily. Thank you!

Kissing your right hand, I am,

Yours in Christ,
Constantine

#6 Constantine

Constantine

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:42 PM

A big PS to the above. The volume we normally have in English called The Lenten Triodion (Mother Maria & Kallistos Ware, Faber or St Tikhon's Press) only contains the main services for Great Lent.

For the weekday material another book is needed called in English- The Lenten Triodion- Supplementary Texts. Having this book is the only way you will have the texts for the weekday services from the 2nd thru the 6th weeks of Great Lent.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

Dear Fr. Raphael,

Bless, Father!

Thank you for your reply and the information concerning this book. Is it in-print and/or available? Fr. David said the Monastery of the Veil is the publisher, correct? This will help our prayers together as a family during Great Lent and I truly appreciate your assistance.

Yours in Christ,
Constantine

#7 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:26 PM

Dear Fr. Raphael,

Bless, Father!

Thank you for your reply and the information concerning this book. Is it in-print and/or available? Fr. David said the Monastery of the Veil is the publisher, correct? This will help our prayers together as a family during Great Lent and I truly appreciate your assistance.

Yours in Christ,
Constantine

Fr David's information is correct about the publisher.

But does anyone know if this Supplement is still in print?

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#8 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

Fr David's information is correct about the publisher.

But does anyone know if this Supplement is still in print?

In Christ- Fr Raphael

Notes I found on the St. John of Kronstadt Press website and the St. Nectarios Press website both say that it is out of print and unavailable; however, there is a used copy available through the online used book site Alibris, as well as copies of their basic Lenten Triodion.

Unfortunately, the price for the Supplement was listed at $150 when I looked; copies of the regular Triodion started at $44.

Hellenic Book Service lists it, but that doesn't mean they have any copies in stock, and they may be unaware that it's out of print; you could try contacting them.

Mike

#9 Jean-Serge

Jean-Serge

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:06 PM

Good morning, everyone.

Yours in Christ,
Constantine

During lent, the Lenten triodon is used along with the Menaion. It is a good start to have the Lenten triodion but if you want to make reader's service during lent, you also need the Menaion. It is a very great experience to do this as reader's service, and many times the only wy to have such experience because there are fw churches with services from Monday to Friday! The book "The order of Divine services according to the order of the Russian Orthodox Church" by Peter Fekula and Matthew Williams, edited by Saint John of Kronstadt Press describes with a very good precision the structure of such services.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users