53 replies to this topic

#41 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:00 PM

Yes, fasolada is very good and a source of protein and has other nutritional values. We make it usually when it is rainy and cold outside during Lenten/fasting days. There are many versions of the recipe. For instance sometime I put garlic after the onion in the oil and before adding tomatoes I have pureed. Sometime I put oregano just before serving, sometime parsley during cooking or before serving, sometime roasted red peppers and a bit of their juice, sometime celery and carrot and potatoes when preparing the recipe, sometime red wine vinegar and crushed garlic mixed very well together and/or add extra virgin olive oil just before serving etc. This recipe allows such freedom and is so tasteful. All my relatives make even more inventions and additions to this recipe and it is always very yummy!

#42 William

William

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:46 PM

Just a quick Thank You! from the forum newest member.

I am a raw newcomer to Orthodoxy and have been struggling with what to eat during fasts - after a while that chunk of dry bread gets old.

I also have to work with the fact that carbs make me fat and during a fast I can not be a carnivore which usually helps me lose some weight.

There is great stuff here.

#43 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:04 PM

I live on stir fry during fasts. For "real" variety, go to an asian market and find receipes online for unique fruits and vegetables they sell there. Like Banana flower.

#44 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:33 PM

Paul- How do you stir fry without oil? Or does cooking oil not count?

#45 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:58 PM

Most Orthodox I know, including priests, in Greece and in the U.S. are not required by their spiritual fathers to abstain from olive oil. It is very difficult and unhealthy to not have any form of fat in the diet.

#46 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:36 AM

Two ways,

One is to cook the watery vegetables first, then the ones that soak up the water. Mushrooms and spinach and other such greens excrete alot of their own liquid. Later in the cooking when I have enough liquid not to scorch, I add the vegetables that do not excrete and even absorb liquid like eggplant.
Two is to add water instead of oil. Even if I use a packet of chinese seasoning that says to add oil, I just add water in place of it. You can't tell the difference.

All can be cooked on lower heat anyway so to avoid scorching. Also covering the pan with a lid will keep moisture in and you can use this as well to wetten the dish.

#47 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:20 AM

Most Orthodox I know, including priests, in Greece and in the U.S. are not required by their spiritual fathers to abstain from olive oil. It is very difficult and unhealthy to not have any form of fat in the diet.

True Alice, but there are plenty of fatty foods without using oil. Nuts are a prime example. Extemely high in fat content, especially macadamias. Nuts are also very good for you. As in anything, moderation. I cook with them during fasting periods.

A few "good fatty veggies"

Polyunsaturated Fats - lowers blood cholesterol and encourages heart health

Good food sources are;
safflower, soy bean, sunflower, corn
Wheat germ, wholegrain cereals and breads
Seeds and most nuts

These fats help to reduce blood clotting, blood pressure and blood fat levels.

Monounsaturated Fats - do not raise blood cholesterol and encourages heart health

Good food source are;
Avocados, peanuts, peanut oil and peanut butter
olives, Almond and hazelnuts

And another list of fat content foods. Of course overlook some of the nonpermitted ones. (I am not eating raw seaweed.)

Paul

#48 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

Two ways,

One is to cook the watery vegetables first, then the ones that soak up the water. Mushrooms and spinach and other such greens excrete alot of their own liquid. Later in the cooking when I have enough liquid not to scorch, I add the vegetables that do not excrete and even absorb liquid like eggplant.
Two is to add water instead of oil. Even if I use a packet of chinese seasoning that says to add oil, I just add water in place of it. You can't tell the difference.

All can be cooked on lower heat anyway so to avoid scorching. Also covering the pan with a lid will keep moisture in and you can use this as well to wetten the dish.

Interesting! I might try this some time, thanks.

#49 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:51 PM

You can sautee vegetables by using a teflon pan and some white wine or vegetable broth for your 'liquid'...it works nicely and adds taste.

Alice

#50 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:10 AM

Because I have been taught to take all you want, but eat all you take, I have a hard time cooking "just a bit" and end up cooking way to much especially pasta. SO, recently I found these little packets of alphabet pasta for $.32 at the store. About 4 ounces. Just the right amount and no waste and no gluttony; well, not so much.

Cook pasta
clean out the fridge; I dice vegetables about the size of the pasta, (really small) and add them when it is all done. I then cover the pasta pot with a lid and the steam from the drained pasta heats the veggies. Keep in mind they are not cooked, but just heated so I am also trying to eat more "raw" veggies and get more nutrition from what I had before cooked the snot out of and didn't get any nutritional benefit from them at all.

I have used mushrooms, onions, green onions (yes there is a difference in flavor) sugar peas, cilantro, lemon juice. Combinations of veggies is also key to a good recipe like only cilantro and lemon juice. Pretty much any non starch vegetable is good. I just bought some celery and will also try diced bokchoy. Heck any vegetable will work even chopped carrots and canned water chestnuts. Seasoning is also very important. I use my brisket rub (see below) on almost everything I cook. Mostly just trying to use it up. 1 batch makes a ton; and sometimes just S&P.

2 Cups Salt
2 Cups Garlic Powder
1 Cup Pepper
1 Cup Paprika
1 Cup Onion Powder

I don't know the big deal about using oil anyway. Very little ever needs to be cooked in the stuff. And what we do cook in it is always drained of any excess.

#51 Kseniya M.

Kseniya M.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:17 AM

My husband loved these. The recipe is super easy.

• 1 pound dried black or turtle beans (or 16-ounce cans black beans, drained)
  • 1 16 ounce jar salsa (your favorite kind)
  • water
Pick over and rinse the beans, removing any foreign objects. Place in a large bowl and cover with water. Soak overnight. (Or use any of the quick-soak methods or used canned beans. Your choice.)
Drain the beans and discard the soaking water. Put them in a crock pot with the salsa and stir. Add just enough water to cover the beans. Cover and cook on low all day, 8 to 10 hours.
These freeze well.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

#52 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:06 PM

Woohoo, it's "watch what you eat" time again. I used to manage a restaurant and this was one of our Thanksgiving recipes. The longer the sauce cooks the thicker it and better it gets. Best to use yams as compared to swet potatoes, but both work.

Candied Yams

4 lbs sweet potatoes
3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 of a fresh lemon with peel
1/4 of a fresh orange with peel

In large saucepan, boil potatoes in enough water to cover for 30 minutes or until barely tender. Drain and cool to touch under cold running water. Peel and cut lengthwise into 1/2" slices. Place in large, shallow baking dish.

In medium saucepan, combine sugar, water, brown sugar, and nutmeg. Mix well. Add lemon and orange. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.

Heat oven to 350°F.

Pour syrup over potatoes. Cover with foil.

Bake 1 hour.

#53 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:15 AM

Nice recipe Paul but....

Woohoo, it's "watch what you eat" time again.

slooow down! We have two more days!!! ;-)

#54 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:21 AM

Hey, at least there are plenty of days where fish can be eaten! (said by Olga the fisherman) :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users