#61 Loucas

Loucas

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:03 PM

I thank God and the Holy Father's for the Jesus Prayer..which by the way is the same as the Prayer of the Heart. The difference of course is if it is on the lips or has descended into the heart. I have prayed this prayer so often that it has become my advocate, in other words, when I sin or entertain a Logismi ( sinful/thought) the prayer begins to come forth without me initiating it. I become aware of the sin and turn away to correct myself. How could I do this on my own? Don't think I could. But our Saints through God have given us this powerful tool for our salvation and I am grateful.

#62 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:13 PM

We should be careful not to reveal too much of our inner life.

#63 Loucas

Loucas

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:51 PM

This is not about hiding my inner life or revealing or not revealing spiritual facts. This is about telling the truth, as opposed to some of the posts that deceive by trying to call the Jesus prayer dangerous or invalid, unimportant. Spiritual matters become muted when taken away from the spiritual and tried to put it and define it in the rational temporal. Faith and Hope is not easy, the spiritual path is not smooth, but when we speak from our hearts, with truth and conviction, we take the lamp out from under the bushel and place it on the table in the center of the room.

#64 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:02 PM

Could you point us to those posts which you say deceive in the ways you suggest since I think it is quite serious to accuse members of deceit?

#65 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

The prayer's results are not "results" of a technique, therefore many phases are expected for one that practice the prayer. In any spiritual phase a spiritual guide is needed. For one thing, we expect many traps from the devil in the path of our spiritual life.

Everything that offers to us spiritual piece and a time for repentance are considered fruits of the prayer. Whatever brings pride and war in our heart are considered fruits of the devil.

We should always keep in our hearts and minds that we are humans and we will sin one way or another, what we need prayer for, is to be ever ready for true repentance. This is our true spiritual shield from devil, to repent in proper time.    

#66 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:15 PM

A spiritual guide is the ideal but, as my wife's spiritual father in Russia says (though we hardly need to be told), reliable guides of the kind really needed are hardly to be found these days though a few may exist. That is why the material in the site to which Olga provided a link in post #60 is valuable.

#67 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:34 AM

I like the Jesus prayer also.  It is short, straight to the point, and easy to memorize. :)

#68 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:14 AM

At the verbal level, and perhaps at the mental level, this is so.

Edited by Rdr Andreas, 27 February 2016 - 02:14 AM.

#69 Loucas

Loucas

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

I really think the fathers developed and passed on the Jesus prayer because of just that. Even in it's longest form it is so simple to remember and pray. I use a konvoskini sometimes, and sometimes I don't, but the prayer is the same and after a short while becomes very easy to pray unceasing. Certainly one will experience dullness, boredom, same as any prayer. But keep praying even if you think it is unfruitful, it is still a petition to God and in time the prayer itself will take over. The hardest thing is to let go of our own control or intellect and simply allow the prayer, through God, to open us up to his Grace. It is so powerful because we confess just by saying the prayer, Lord Jesus Christ..we acknowledge he by name as our Lord, Have mercy on me..we show our need for his mercy, A sinner..we confess that we are sinners and he is the answer the cure if you will for our sins.

#70 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:51 PM

And not only confess that we are sinners but that we are the worst of sinners. As we say in the prayer immediately before Communion, Christ came into the world to save sinners 'of whom I am chief'. As to prayer seeming sometimes to be unfruitful - what the Fathers call periods of dryness - these times are valuable because by resolving to keep going we show our faithfulness to God.

#71 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

Let me post a link to a non-orthodox site that states an article with the title: "Heart Based Consciousness: Using The Heart As An Organ Of Perception" 

http://www.collectiv...-of-perception/

Church Fathers came to similar statements following Orthodox spirituality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users