• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua George

Joshua George

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hello, I am having to write a paper for school on the doctrine of the trinity during the first millennia of the church. My paper is looking at the controversies, and different views of the fathers, and ante-nicene. I am also looking at the Filioque controversy. All of which must take place in the first Thousand years... So far I have found only 4 books that are proving useful... However I need a minimum of 10 sources... Internet books and articles are preferred... The books I have found useful so far are:

The Mystery of the Trinity by Boris Bobrinskoy

The mystery of the holy trinity in the fathers of the church

Augustine and the Trinity

Crisis in Byzantium

The Philokalia v.2

Any Advice would be appreciated

#2 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hi Joshua,

Although a doctrinal treatise rather than a scholarly book the Mystagogy of the Holy Spirit by Saint Photius the Great may be of use to you as it outlines many of the Orthodox arguments against the Filioque and was written at the hight of the controversy.

In Christ.

Daniel,

Edited by Daniel R., 20 November 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#3 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

Hi,

a book which is good is Trinity for the Preplexed, it is a book by a western theologian who has a lot of sympathies for orthodoxy (I studied under him doing my BA in theology).  it also has the advavtage of being easy too read as a book.

Phoebe

#4 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:32 AM

In the 1970s, Jaraslav Pelikan wrote a 5-volume work entitled:  The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine.  The work is a history of doctrine.  Parts of vols. 1-2 may help with your task.

#5 Owen Jones

Owen Jones

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

The best person I have read on the Trinity, it's development, the problems that developed in the Latin Church, beginning with Augustin, the role of the Franks in the imposition of Filioque, the cultural, historical, political as well as theological causes of the schism, is Fr. John Romanides.  There is a wealth of material on the web, and a web site containing exerpts -- Romanidy.  He is a controversialist and you can also find all sorts of stuff on the web condemning and lambasting him.  But you cannot, IMHO, do a paper on the topic if you are going to rely on modern sources without including his work. 

It's a massive topic and I would suggest that you narrow it down considerably, or it will take you twenty years to write it!

#6 Max Percy

Max Percy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

Fr. Dumitru Staniloae

Experience of God Voulme 1: Revelation and Knowledge of the Triune God

is fantastic.

Fr. Dumitru also has a smaller book

The Holy Trinity: In the Beginning there was Love