28 replies to this topic

#1 Max Percy

Max Percy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:50 PM

Does anyone know if there is any effort afoot to translate Fr. Staniloae's translation & notes on the Philokalia?

For that matter does anyone know if anyone is picking up where Holy Cross Press has dropped the ball on continuing to publish his Dogmatics under the title " Experience of God". and-

Lastly, does anyone know if there is any estimated time of arrival for vol. 5 of the Philokalia in English?

Thank-you

#2 Stuart Dunn

Stuart Dunn

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:59 AM

Volume 5 is a work that we may never see in English. Bishop Ware is the sole translator left alive, and I'm not sure he intends to finish the series. I have written the publisher (as have others) asking about it, and they said it doesn't look promising. So unless anyone personally knows him and implores him to finish or someone else takes up the task to finish it, it will be an incomplete English set.

#3 Max Percy

Max Percy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:06 AM

I would imagine the Philokalia is in the public domain. I wonder if someone else might do it. I noticed Fr. Louth is bringing Fr. Meyendorff's Church History to completion at SVS Press. Maybe he or his students?

#4 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:48 AM

I've spoken with Metropolitan Kallistos about volume 5, and he certainly intends it to be published.

#5 Stuart Dunn

Stuart Dunn

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:17 PM

I've spoken with Metropolitan Kallistos about volume 5, and he certainly intends it to be published.

That is very good news indeed. It was an enormous task with the 3 (or maybe it was 4) people who originally were translating it. And I'm sure the pressure and task has become greater since he is the only one left. He has a very busy schedule also I assume.

#6 Ken McRae

Ken McRae

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:03 PM

While doing some online book shopping the other day, I noticed that Dr. Cavarnos appears to have undertaken a "new" translation of the Greek edition:

THE PHILOKALIA - Compiled by St. Macarios of Corinth and edited by St. Nicodemos the Hagiorite. Writings of Holy Mystic Fathers in which is Explained how the Mind is Purified, Illumined, and Perfected through Practical and Contemplative Ethical Philosophy. Translated from the original Greek and edited by Constantine Cavarnos. 2008. 340 pp. Cloth. ISBN 1-884729-79-7 $30.00

However, the Institute website does not make it clear whether the above volume is a compilation of selected texts, or the complete first volume of the Greek Philokalia. Does anyone here presently own a copy of this "newly" translated volume; who can tell us about it and whether or not Dr. Cavarnos volunteers any information in the book's Introduction about his intention(s) toward translating the complete set?

#7 Stuart Dunn

Stuart Dunn

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:40 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread, but saw an answer to the latest question.

THE PHILOKALIA: Writings of the Holy Mystic Fathers in Which is Explained how the Mind is Purified, Illumined, and Perfected Through Practical and Contemplative Ethical Philosophy.

Translated and edited by Constantine Cavarnos from the Greek edition compiled by St. Macarios of Corinth and edited by St. Nicodemos the Hagiorite.

This attractive new edition contains the writings of St. Anthony the Great, St. Isaiah the Anchorite, Evagrios the Monk, St. John Cassian and St. Mark the Ascetic (from Vol. 1 in the Faber edition) in clear, readable type."

Edited by Fr Raphael Vereshack, 04 January 2009 - 02:27 PM.
removed formatting tags; corrected spacing

#8 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

From what I gather, Dr. Cavarnos participated in the Faber translation, but was dissatisfied with some of the editing and "scholarship" involved. For example, the three primary translators determined that the first text to appear in the work, by Saint Anthony, was in fact not written by him nor was it even Christian, so they relegated it to an appendix. Dr. Cavarnos had more respect for the text as St. Nikodimos intended it, hence he has released his own translation.

#9 Stuart Dunn

Stuart Dunn

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

Too bad he didn't start at Volume 5 and work his way backwards :)

#10 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

For that matter does anyone know if anyone is picking up where Holy Cross Press has dropped the ball on continuing to publish his Dogmatics under the title " Experience of God".

I just received an email from the Holy Cross editors, and they say that they are translating the 3rd volume but do not yet have a timeline of publication. So I guess they haven't quite dropped the ball...

#11 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

Too bad he didn't start at Volume 5 and work his way backwards :)

Mystery of the non-printing of Volume V .

I wonder why this "treasure" is not yet being published! A few days ago I was at Borders Books and found a new book on the Philokalia: One of these simplified one-liners, or one paragraphers on each page. It looked interesting. but of course, I just slowly mulled over the fact that already having the four volumes, did I really need this book? I was tempted to buy it especially that in the notes at the end of the book there was a reference of VOLUME V promising to be published in 2007!

So, back to the question: When will VOLUME V be published by Faber and Faber? Hope that this endeavor doesn't fall into oblivion!

My fervent prayer: Lord God I pray that soon the Orthodox Christian World will be gifted with VOLUME V of the Phlokalia, acccording to your will and love for mankind. in Christ Jesus Our Lord!

Does anyone in England hold the "key" to solving this mystery?

marie-duquette

#12 Stuart Dunn

Stuart Dunn

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

Faber and Faber will probably never publish Volume 5. They have been inundated with requests for it, but the last remaining translator for the Faber and Faber work is Bishop Ware, and his schedule is either too busy or he is choosing not to do so for reasons which we probably would not understand. As Ryan said in one of the posts a few above this one, there is an attempt by another to translate the entire Philokalia, but as it stands now only Volume 1 is available.

#13 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:13 PM

Dr. Cavarnos has released the 2nd volume. Again, the details given are very sketchy; no contents are given. It just says "a second volume of selected readings." Hmm?

#14 Aidan Kimel

Aidan Kimel

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:03 AM

I just received an email from the Holy Cross editors, and they say that they are translating the 3rd volume but do not yet have a timeline of publication. So I guess they haven't quite dropped the ball...

The translation and publication of Staniloae's Dogmatics is, or at least should be, an imperative for English-speaking Orthodoxy. Staniloae is widely considered to be the great Orthodox theologian of the 20th century, comparable to Karl Barth (for Protestantism) and Karl Rahner (for Catholicism).

#15 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:11 AM

The translation and publication of Staniloae's Dogmatics is, or at least should be, an imperative for English-speaking Orthodoxy. Staniloae is widely considered to be the great Orthodox theologian of the 20th century, comparable to Karl Barth (for Protestantism) and Karl Rahner (for Catholicism).

Gee Fr. Alvin, I would have hoped you might have added our own Fr. Matthew to this list. But alas I suppose unless he changes his name to Karl, the world may never know of him. ^;^

Concerning volume V; I was told volume IV and ultimately V were for hard-core monastics. Other than being able to say "I have the whole set", is it not spiritually dangerous for laymen to read and try to understand these higher volumes? We are not exactly equipped to live the life instructions in them as the hermits are.

Paul

#16 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

Volumes 3 and 5 of Fr. Dumitru's dogmatics have been published. Curiously Vol. 4 seems to have been skipped.

#17 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Would you have a link where these could be purchased? Thanks.

#18 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

Father- here are the Holy Cross Seminary's links for purchase:

Vol. 3: http://store.holycro...stexofgoor.html
Vol. 5: http://store.holycro...stexofgodv.html

You can also get them on Amazon.com.

#19 Aidan Kimel

Aidan Kimel

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:39 AM

I had not heard of the publication of these volumes. Thank you.

#20 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users