#21 Georgije Z.

Georgije Z.

Junior Poster

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

Not good. We in Europe don't have access to these books.
Amazon.co.uk doesn't have it.

#22 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:29 PM

In a 2013 interview Bishop Kallistos says he is working in earnest on finishing translation of the Philokalia vol. 5 and that it should be published some time this year.

#23 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:07 PM

Gee Fr. Alvin, I would have hoped you might have added our own Fr. Matthew to this list. But alas I suppose unless he changes his name to Karl, the world may never know of him. ^;^

Concerning volume V; I was told volume IV and ultimately V were for hard-core monastics. Other than being able to say "I have the whole set", is it not spiritually dangerous for laymen to read and try to understand these higher volumes? We are not exactly equipped to live the life instructions in them as the hermits are.

Paul

I know this is an old post but I wanted to address this point because I see it pop up in a number of places. The 5th volume is not for hardcore monastics any more than the other volumes. The volumes collect the texts in roughly chronological order, so the later volumes contain later material- there is no progression from "beginner" to "advanced" in these volumes. In fact volume 5 is probably the most layman-friendly volume insofar as it is the only volume containing works specifically addressed to a lay audience. It also contains the work of Callistus and Ignatius which is recommended in The Way of a Pilgrim as the first work anyone should turn to in learning about the Jesus Prayer. Lastly, a lot of the 5th volume material is already in English, and can be found in various volumes such as Writings from the Philokalia on the Prayer of the Heart (Palmer and Kadloubovsky), Cavarnos' 2nd volume of Philokalia translations, and The Art of Prayer.

#24 Ken McRae

Ken McRae

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

A free PDF version of the The Philokalia, Vols 1-4 of the The Palmer-Sherrard-Ware Edition:-

Vol. 1 - See pages 001-248
Vol. 2 - See pages 249-604
Vol. 3 - See pages 605-877
Vol. 4 - See pages 878-1238

Definitely warrants being kept on your Smart Phone, for easy access wherever you might be.

#25 Deacon John Martin

Deacon John Martin

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:08 PM

Is this legal to download? I think that it would be better to financially support those who have translated these and other holy texts.

#26 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:00 PM

There could be no financial support for Palmer and Sherrard - both died many years ago.

#27 Ken McRae

Ken McRae

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

Is this legal to download? I think that it would be better to financially support those who have translated these and other holy texts.

Yes, that is true; and I do own two different hard copy versions of it. The PSW edition and the earlier two volume edition of select texts in English translation, which predates the PSW edition; but, perhaps, some people are financially challenged and can't afford that.

Personally, I don't think Metropolitan Kallistos is into publishing for the financial profit so much, beyond the fact that a good selling book (or series of books) makes a sound business case for publishing the fifth and final volume of this translation.

No publisher wants to take on a losing venture or proposition. There has to be a justifiable business case for at least breaking even on it. The Philokalia's
growing "popularity" seems to indicate that current conditions favour the publication of the last volume.

Furthermore, I don't think Metropolitan Kallistos would object to anyone acquiring this free digital copy; especially if they've previously purchased the hard copy edition; or just genuinely can't afford it, like monks or clergy, for example; or any Orthodox believers living on a very tight monthly budget, or fixed income.

In fact, I'd dare say he would encourage as many people as possible to download and study it, prayerfully; as it will undoubtedly lead some of the Faithful, (at least,) if not several, to adopt the monastic way of life.

At any rate, check out this Russian website => HERE

#28 Ken McRae

Ken McRae

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:35 PM

At any rate, check out this Russian website => HERE

<= for other free e-books by Metropolitan Kallistos; besides many other excellent Orthodox authors in addition to him.

Now, on that webpage, you will find this essay by him, entitled: 'The Inner Unity of the Philokalia and Its influence in East and West'

The following 3 quotes are from this essay, which I thought might interest some of the members/visitors, insofar as they appear to signal a positive development or evolution of RC thought on St. Gregory Palamas and "hesychasm" in general:-

1.) "What kind of a book is the Philokalia? In the original edition of 1782, there is a final page in Italian: this is a licenza, a permission to publish, issued by the Roman Catholic censors at the University of Padua. In this they state that the volume contains nothing 'contrary to the Holy Catholic Faith' (contro la Santa Fede Cattolica), and nothing 'contrary to good principles and practices' (contro principi, e buoni costumi); but, though bearing a Roman Catholic imprimatur, the Philokalia is in fact entirely an Orthodox book."

2.) "Within the Patristic heritage, they (i.e. the Kollyvades) emphasized above all else the teachings of Hesychasm, as represented in particular by St Symeon the New Theologian in the eleventh century and by St Gregory Palamas in the fourteenth. It is precisely this Hesychast tradition that forms the living heart of the Philokalia, and that gives to its varied contents a single unity."

3.) "Writings from the Philokalia was hailed by a leading Roman Catholic journal, 'The Catholic Herald', as ‘one of the most important spiritual treatises ever to be translated into English’, and both volumes have been frequently reprinted."

Now, the expanded 1877 Russian edition, by St. Theophan the Recluse, is the one I desire most to see in English: The "1877 Russian language translation, by Theophan the Recluse, included several texts not in the Greek original, and omitted or paraphrased some passages." ( The Philokalia )

Lastly, HERE is a different download link, for the same PDF version of the PSW edition, but uploaded to the archive.org website instead; just in case the first link ever stops working.

#29 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:22 PM

Dear Ken,

Thank you for posting all these links, on this tread and elsewhere, they are most useful.

In Christ.

Daniel,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users