9 replies to this topic

#1 Kypreos

Kypreos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:44 AM

I have a bit of an odd request. I need to learn how to say the Creed (I believe in one God...) in Greek. God willing, I will be baptizing a child and I will need to learn how to say the prayer in Greek.

I can speak Greek fluently. I can also somewhat manage to read Greek, but only if all the letters are capital.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can write the prayer for me in Greek, but using English letters, For example: Pistevo se ena Theo... I can also figure it out if the prayer is written in Greek if they are all capital Greek letters.

Or does anyone know of a website where I can get this?

#2 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:02 AM

The Prayer Foundation website has the Creed in Greek - I was able to use MS Word to convert it to Greek uppercase, but the letters still have the breathing and accent marks.

ΠΙΣΤΕΎΩ ΕΊΣ ΕΝΑ ΘΕΌΝ, ΠΑΤΈΡΑ, ΠΑΝΤΟΚΡΆΤΟΡΑ, ΠΟΙΗΤΉΝ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΎ ΚΑΊ ΓΉΣ, ΟΡΑΤΏΝ ΤΕ ΠΆΝΤΩΝ ΚΑΊ ΑΟΡΆΤΩΝ.

ΚΑΊ ΕΊΣ ΕΝΑ ΚΎΡΙΟΝ, ΊΗΣΟΎΝ ΧΡΙΣΤΌΝ, ΤΌΝ ΥΙΌΝ ΤΟΥ ΘΕΟΎ ΤΌΝ ΜΟΝΟΓΕΝΉ, ΤΌΝ ΕΚ ΤΟΥ ΠΑΤΡΌΣ ΓΕΝΝΗΘΈΝΤΑ ΠΡΌ ΠΆΝΤΩΝ ΤΏΝ ΑΙΏΝΩΝ. ΦΏΣ ΕΚ ΦΩΤΌΣ, ΘΕΌΝ ΑΛΗΘΙΝΌΝ ΕΚ ΘΕΟΎ ΑΛΗΘΙΝΟΎ ΓΕΝΝΗΘΈΝΤΑ, ΟΎ ΠΟΙΗΘΈΝΤΑ, ὉΜΟΟΎΣΙΟΝ ΤΏ ΠΑΤΡΊ, ΔΙ’ ΟΎ ΤΆ ΠΆΝΤΑ ΕΓΈΝΕΤΟ. ΤΌΝ ΔΙ’ ΗΜΆΣ ΤΟΎΣ ΑΝΘΡΏΠΟΥΣ ΚΑΊ ΔΙΆ ΤΉΝ ΗΜΕΤΈΡΑΝ ΣΩΤΗΡΊΑΝ ΚΑΤΕΛΘΌΝΤΑ ΕΚ ΤΏΝ ΟΥΡΑΝΏΝ ΚΑΊ ΣΑΡΚΩΘΈΝΤΑ ΕΚ ΠΝΕΎΜΑΤΟΣ ‘ΑΓΊΟΥ ΚΑΊ ΜΑΡΊΑΣ ΤΉΣ ΠΑΡΘΈΝΟΥ ΚΑΊ ΕΝΑΝΘΡΩΠΉΣΑΝΤΑ. ΣΤΑΥΡΩΘΈΝΤΑ ΤΕ ΥΠΈΡ ΗΜΏΝ ΕΠΊ ΠΟΝΤΊΟΥ ΠΙΛΆΤΟΥ ΚΑΊ ΠΑΘΌΝΤΑ ΚΑΊ ΤΑΦΈΝΤΑ.

ΚΑΊ ΑΝΑΣΤΆΝΤΑ ΤΉ ΤΡΊΤΗ ΗΜΈΡΑ ΚΑΤΆ ΤΆΣ ΓΡΑΦΆΣ.

ΚΑΊ ΑΝΕΛΘΌΝΤΑ ΕΊΣ ΤΟΎΣ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΎΣ ΚΑΊ ΚΑΘΕΖΌΜΕΝΟΝ ΕΚ ΔΕΞΙΏΝ ΤΟΎ ΠΑΤΡΌΣ.

ΚΑΊ ΠΆΛΙΝ ΕΡΧΌΜΕΝΟΝ ΜΕΤΆ ΔΌΞΗΣ ΚΡΊΝΑΙ ΖΏΝΤΑΣ ΚΑΊ ΝΕΚΡΟΎΣ, ΟΎ ΤΉΣ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΊΑΣ ΟΥΚ ΕΣΤΑΙ ΤΈΛΟΣ.

ΚΑΊ ΕΊΣ ΤΌ ΠΝΕΎΜΑ ΤΌ ¨ΑΓΙΟΝ, ΤΌ ΚΎΡΙΟΝ, ΤΌ ΖΩΟΠΟΙΌΝ, ΤΌ ΕΚ ΤΟΎ ΠΑΤΡΌΣ ΚΑΙ ΕΚ ΤΟΥ ΥΙΟΥ ΕΚΠΟΡΕΥΌΜΕΝΟΝ, ΤΌ ΣΎΝ ΠΑΤΡΊ ΚΑΊ ΥΙΏ ΣΥΜΠΡΟΣΚΥΝΟΎΜΕΝΟΝ ΚΑΊ ΣΥΝΔΟΞΑΖΌΜΕΝΟΝ, ΤΌ ΛΑΛΉΣΑΝ ΔΙΆ ΤΏΝ ΠΡΟΦΗΤΏΝ.

ΕΊΣ ΜΊΑΝ, ΑΓΊΑΝ, ΚΑΘΟΛΙΚΉΝ ΚΑΊ ΑΠΟΣΤΟΛΙΚΉΝ ΈΚΚΛΗΣΊΑΝ. ‘ΟΜΟΛΟΓΏ ΕΝ ΒΆΠΤΙΣΜΑ ΕΊΣ ΆΦΕΣΙΝ ΑΜΑΡΤΙΏΝ. ΠΡΟΣΔΟΚΏ ΑΝΆΣΤΑΣΙΝ ΝΕΚΡΏΝ. ΚΑΊ ΖΩΉΝ ΤΟΎ ΜΈΛΛΟΝΤΟΣ ΑΙΏΝΟΣ.

ΆΜΉΝ.

Mike

#3 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:11 AM

Here is also the youtube link

#4 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:11 AM

Another thought - if you want to hear it as well, I found an online "video" which is really a static picture with audio of someone saying the creed in Greek. If you use that, ignore the other links on the page - how this wound up on the same site with some of the other content is a mystery to me.

(update)
Now that I've seen Nina's post, I deleted the link. The YouTube version is the same one, but with better audio quality and without links to inappropriate content elsewhere on the page.

Mike

#5 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:22 AM

A correction needs to be made to the creed Mike has posted: it must have come from a Byzantine Catholic source, as it contains the filioque, which I have rendered in bold. Delete this bit, Kypreos, and you'll be OK.

ΠΙΣΤΕΎΩ ΕΊΣ ΕΝΑ ΘΕΌΝ, ΠΑΤΈΡΑ, ΠΑΝΤΟΚΡΆΤΟΡΑ, ΠΟΙΗΤΉΝ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΎ ΚΑΊ ΓΉΣ, ΟΡΑΤΏΝ ΤΕ ΠΆΝΤΩΝ ΚΑΊ ΑΟΡΆΤΩΝ.

ΚΑΊ ΕΊΣ ΕΝΑ ΚΎΡΙΟΝ, ΊΗΣΟΎΝ ΧΡΙΣΤΌΝ, ΤΌΝ ΥΙΌΝ ΤΟΥ ΘΕΟΎ ΤΌΝ ΜΟΝΟΓΕΝΉ, ΤΌΝ ΕΚ ΤΟΥ ΠΑΤΡΌΣ ΓΕΝΝΗΘΈΝΤΑ ΠΡΌ ΠΆΝΤΩΝ ΤΏΝ ΑΙΏΝΩΝ. ΦΏΣ ΕΚ ΦΩΤΌΣ, ΘΕΌΝ ΑΛΗΘΙΝΌΝ ΕΚ ΘΕΟΎ ΑΛΗΘΙΝΟΎ ΓΕΝΝΗΘΈΝΤΑ, ΟΎ ΠΟΙΗΘΈΝΤΑ, ΟΜΟΟΎΣΙΟΝ ΤΏ ΠΑΤΡΊ, ΔΙ’ ΟΎ ΤΆ ΠΆΝΤΑ ΕΓΈΝΕΤΟ. ΤΌΝ ΔΙ’ ΗΜΆΣ ΤΟΎΣ ΑΝΘΡΏΠΟΥΣ ΚΑΊ ΔΙΆ ΤΉΝ ΗΜΕΤΈΡΑΝ ΣΩΤΗΡΊΑΝ ΚΑΤΕΛΘΌΝΤΑ ΕΚ ΤΏΝ ΟΥΡΑΝΏΝ ΚΑΊ ΣΑΡΚΩΘΈΝΤΑ ΕΚ ΠΝΕΎΜΑΤΟΣ ‘ΑΓΊΟΥ ΚΑΊ ΜΑΡΊΑΣ ΤΉΣ ΠΑΡΘΈΝΟΥ ΚΑΊ ΕΝΑΝΘΡΩΠΉΣΑΝΤΑ. ΣΤΑΥΡΩΘΈΝΤΑ ΤΕ ΥΠΈΡ ΗΜΏΝ ΕΠΊ ΠΟΝΤΊΟΥ ΠΙΛΆΤΟΥ ΚΑΊ ΠΑΘΌΝΤΑ ΚΑΊ ΤΑΦΈΝΤΑ.

ΚΑΊ ΑΝΑΣΤΆΝΤΑ ΤΉ ΤΡΊΤΗ ΗΜΈΡΑ ΚΑΤΆ ΤΆΣ ΓΡΑΦΆΣ.

ΚΑΊ ΑΝΕΛΘΌΝΤΑ ΕΊΣ ΤΟΎΣ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΎΣ ΚΑΊ ΚΑΘΕΖΌΜΕΝΟΝ ΕΚ ΔΕΞΙΏΝ ΤΟΎ ΠΑΤΡΌΣ.

ΚΑΊ ΠΆΛΙΝ ΕΡΧΌΜΕΝΟΝ ΜΕΤΆ ΔΌΞΗΣ ΚΡΊΝΑΙ ΖΏΝΤΑΣ ΚΑΊ ΝΕΚΡΟΎΣ, ΟΎ ΤΉΣ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΊΑΣ ΟΥΚ ΕΣΤΑΙ ΤΈΛΟΣ.

ΚΑΊ ΕΊΣ ΤΌ ΠΝΕΎΜΑ ΤΌ ¨ΑΓΙΟΝ, ΤΌ ΚΎΡΙΟΝ, ΤΌ ΖΩΟΠΟΙΌΝ, ΤΌ ΕΚ ΤΟΎ ΠΑΤΡΌΣ ΚΑΙ ΕΚ ΤΟΥ ΥΙΟΥ ΕΚΠΟΡΕΥΌΜΕΝΟΝ, ΤΌ ΣΎΝ ΠΑΤΡΊ ΚΑΊ ΥΙΏ ΣΥΜΠΡΟΣΚΥΝΟΎΜΕΝΟΝ ΚΑΊ ΣΥΝΔΟΞΑΖΌΜΕΝΟΝ, ΤΌ ΛΑΛΉΣΑΝ ΔΙΆ ΤΏΝ ΠΡΟΦΗΤΏΝ.

ΕΊΣ ΜΊΑΝ, ΑΓΊΑΝ, ΚΑΘΟΛΙΚΉΝ ΚΑΊ ΑΠΟΣΤΟΛΙΚΉΝ ΈΚΚΛΗΣΊΑΝ. ‘ΟΜΟΛΟΓΏ ΕΝ ΒΆΠΤΙΣΜΑ ΕΊΣ ΆΦΕΣΙΝ ΑΜΑΡΤΙΏΝ. ΠΡΟΣΔΟΚΏ ΑΝΆΣΤΑΣΙΝ ΝΕΚΡΏΝ. ΚΑΊ ΖΩΉΝ ΤΟΎ ΜΈΛΛΟΝΤΟΣ ΑΙΏΝΟΣ.

ΆΜΉΝ.

Also, it is quite OK for a godparent to read the Creed during a baptism, it is not necessary to recite it by heart. All the same, check with the priest who'll be conducting the service.

#6 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:27 AM

I have a bit of an odd request. I need to learn how to say the Creed (I believe in one God...) in Greek. God willing, I will be baptizing a child and I will need to learn how to say the prayer in Greek.

I can speak Greek fluently. I can also somewhat manage to read Greek, but only if all the letters are capital.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can write the prayer for me in Greek, but using English letters, For example: Pistevo se ena Theo... I can also figure it out if the prayer is written in Greek if they are all capital Greek letters.

Or does anyone know of a website where I can get this?

Kyreos, this happened to me a few years back. I was priviliged to baptise a baby and, knowing that I would be asked to recite the Creed, spent many anxious hours trying to learn it by heart. The mother of the baby with whom I was staying for a couple of days, kept coming in and out of the room, laughing hilariously at my feeble attempts. Imagine our surprise, actually she was astounded!!! when, outside the doors of the church, the priest asked BOTH of us to recite the Creed. Knowing we were both from Australia he gave us the prayer book with the Creed in it so that we could read it. In actual fact the mother just sort of mumbled her way through it, her voice becoming a little louder whenever she recognized a word, which, believe me, wasn't often. I nearly disgraced myself by laughing.

Perhaps the priest who will be officiating at the baptism, will be kind enough to do the same. You could ask him.

You could print out the capital letter version that Mike provided, ltry and learn it as much as you can, then take it with you and use it to help you. As Olga says, ask the priest. He will find a solution.

Effie

Edited by Effie Ganatsios, 29 February 2008 - 04:07 PM.
Sorry, mixed up the names.

#7 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:27 PM

A correction needs to be made to the creed Mike has posted: it must have come from a Byzantine Catholic source, as it contains the filioque, which I have rendered in bold. Delete this bit, Kypreos, and you'll be OK.

Oops! Thanks for catching that - I totally forgot about the possibility of it being in there.

Mike

#8 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:39 PM

An odd request - the Creed in Greekish

Kypreos, as you can see from all the replies and help you received, yours is not an odd request. :) You are humble. :) After all wasn't Greek the original language of the Creed?

I was amused with the word Greekish - it sounds almost like Germans would say Greek in their language. :)

Have a blessed time practicing the Creed in Greek and remember you can always ask the priest to read the Creed, since from the happiness you might confuse words. I did the same this past December when I baptized my nephew. I asked the blessing of the priest to read the Creed instead of reciting it. There were many non-Orthodox people in the baptism and I did not want to confuse the Creed.

#9 Kris

Kris

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

Pistevo is ena Theon, Patera pantokratora, piitin ouranou ke yis, oraton te panton ke aoraton.
Ke is ena Kyrion Isoun Khriston, ton Yion tou Theou ton monoyeni, ton ek tou Patros yennithenta pro panton ton eonon. fos ek fotos, Theon alithinon ek Theou alithinou, yennithenta ou piithenta, omoousion to Patri, dhi ou ta panta eyeneto. Ton dhi imas tous anthropous ke dhia tin imeteran sotirian katelthonta ek ton ouranon ke sarkothenta ek Pnevmatos ayiou ke Marias tis Parthenou ke enanthropisanta. Stavrothenta te yper imon epi Pontiou Pilatou ke pathonta, ke tafenta. Ke anastanta ti triti imera kata tas Grafas. Ke anelthonta is tous ouranous ke kathezomenon ek dhexion tou Patros. Ke palin erhomenon meta dhoxis krine zontas ke nekrous, ou tis vasilias ouk este telos.
Ke is to Pnevma to ayion, to kyrion, to zopion, to ek tou Patros ekporevomenon, to syn Patri ke Yio symproskynoumenon ke syndhoxazomenon, to lalisan dhia ton profiton.
Is mian, ayian, katholikin ke apostolikin Ekklisian. Omologho en vaptisma is afesin amartion. Prosdhoko anastasin nekron. Ke zoin tou mellontos eonos. Amin.

#10 Kypreos

Kypreos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:57 AM

Thank you all very much. I am overwhelmed and truly grateful for all your responses, thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users