• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:01 PM

I've been puzzling over this one for some time. Let me apologize in advance, but I have to say that trying to make kulich without eggs and butter is like trying to cook lamb without lamb, or making cheese pascha without cheese.

As a vegan, there are simply some things that you just don't eat. That is why I am NOT a vegan, but that's just me.

All things in moderation, including moderation...or so it seems to this bear of little brain.

Herman the Pooh

#22 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

All things in moderation, including moderation...or so it seems to this bear of little brain.

I second what is said above wholeheartedy[!] as long as it does not (or does) apply to lattes!

PS Did we ever figure out that 'why a duck' thing?

#23 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:33 AM

Dear Effie, I have no idea what that plant/tree is since whenever I have been there (not in Kozani though) I saw either palm, or laurel/bay-leaf.

OK Nina. It's really not that important. Different plants are given different names in different parts of the world. Even in the same country a plant, especially a herb, can have quite a few different names.

Effie

#24 Peter S.

Peter S.

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:38 PM

I've been puzzling over this one for some time. Let me apologize in advance, but I have to say that trying to make kulich without eggs and butter is like trying to cook lamb without lamb, or making cheese pascha without cheese.

As a vegan, there are simply some things that you just don't eat. That is why I am NOT a vegan, but that's just me.

Herman the Pooh

I ve eaten vegan cakes that are as good as other cakes. And you can find substitutes for butter and eggs. Making pascha without cheese is maybe not possible though.

Peter

#25 Constantine

Constantine

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:38 AM

Hello, everyone. My abject apologies for this very tardy reply. I've been away from my computer for quite some time (not the worst thing, actually). The suggestions and recipies are most appreciated. I shall let everyone know how my first kulich turns out.

Yours,
Constantine

#26 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:05 AM

Dear Effie, I have no idea what that plant/tree is since whenever I have been there (not in Kozani though) I saw either palm, or laurel/bay-leaf.

Nina, yesterday I was in a shop and they had two potplants with tiny vaya bushes.

The label said buxus/box, so I now know that vaya is box in English. A lot of monasteries have box hedges and they are beautiful.

The botanical name is buxus sinica microphylla. There are a lot of varieties of box and that is why I couldn't find the name before.

This is the plant we are given at Easter together with small branches of bay leaf/laurel (daphne).

Effie

#27 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:49 PM

I ve eaten vegan cakes that are as good as other cakes. And you can find substitutes for butter and eggs. Making pascha without cheese is maybe not possible though.

Peter

Every Wednesday night during Lent in my parish, after the Presanctified Liturgy, a ministry of the parish or group of parishioners sponsor and cook a Lenten meal for the congregation. This past Wednesday, the wife of our choir master provided a baked 'moussaka' which was made of the usual vegetables (eggplant and potatoes), but where dairy and meat were called for, she replaced them with vegan products, and I swear to you, as a person of Greek extraction, it tasted exactly like the real thing. It was absolutely incredible!

Also, Whole Food Supermarkets has an in store baked chocolate chocolate chip cookie which is awesome! :)

Alice

#28 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:00 AM

Today is Palm Sunday = Kyriaki ton Vaion - Sunday of Vaya.

We were given a couple of small branches of bay leaves and a couple of vaya (box) branches as we were leaving the church.

My husband removed last years vaya and bay leaves from our iconostasis and replace them with this year's. He also placed a small branch on our back door and on our front door. Last years bay leaves and vaya will not be thrown in the rubbish but will be placed in a corner of our garden.

These customs are so lovely and as the years past, they present a continuation of our religious life. The flowers from last year's ephitaphion will also be replaced when the time comes, as will the easter egg from last year.

A nun once told me that when the prosphora bread cannot be eaten it is never thrown into the garbage but buried in our garden. Are these customs christian or do they perhaps go back even further into the past when people worshipped mother gaia (γη = gaia = the earth/ also means soil).

The one thing that is true is that they are a part of our christian heritage and are performed with piety and respect.

Effie

All of nature is a celebration of God's creation.
St. Ephrem also considered nature and Scripture the "twin sources of revelation."

Once Nature and Scripture had cleaned the land
—they sowed in it new commandments
in the land of the heart, so that it might bear fruit,
praise for the Lord of Nature
glory for the Lord of Scripture.

Edited by Effie Ganatsios, 20 April 2008 - 11:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users