39 replies to this topic

#21 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,823 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:30 PM

My friend, gator is non-existent

Oh contrar my dear. American alligator has made a comeback even to the point of gator farms. As exotic meat goes, this is some of the less expensive to buy

Allow me to clarify, my friend: Gator meat is practically non-existent here in Australia, and, despite the profile of the late Steve Irwin and his TV shows in your country, crocodile isn't exactly staple fare here either. :) Croc farms in Australia's Top End are more concerned with producing their skins, rather than their meat.

You may also be interested to know, Paul, that Adelaide, the capital of South Australia has a sister-city relationship with Austin, TX. So, given this long-standing cultural link, I nominate Adelaide as the venue for the cook-off. And SA is a much bigger state than Texas: SA, 379,725 squ mi, Texas, 268,820 sq mi. :P

#22 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:48 PM

Well, that means the judges are Fr David and Fr Matthew. Fr Raphael could judge fish or seafood, if it's on the menu. But where should this cook-off take place? :P

Being a non-meat-eater myself, I'll join Father Raphael over the grilled squid and vegetable bake. This will leave all the steaks for Father David, to which I don't think he will protest. ;)

#23 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:01 PM

This will leave all the steaks for Father David, to which I don't think he will protest. ;)

Ohhhhh...... how very sad... Poor, poor Fr David. :D:D

#24 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:24 PM

Being a non-meat-eater myself, I'll join Father Raphael over the grilled squid and vegetable bake. This will leave all the steaks for Father David, to which I don't think he will protest. ;)

Fr. Dcn.

You give yourself away as a true vegetarian. BBQ is NOT steak. You grill steak. You don't BBQ it. Ugh! So much education left even for you. ;) You BBQ brisket, chicken, pork and yes vegetables. Now Olga and I will have to develop a nonmeat category to this whole thing. I am sure we can come up with a menu to saitisfy even the finickiest vegetarians.

Olga,

If I have to fly my steer somewhere, so do you. I did a search on Google Earth and it looks like the closest middle ground for us is here. However, ifyou insist, I will start saving my money for the trip.

Kisangani, formerly Stanleyville or Stanleystad, (population 500,000) is a city in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in Central Africa. It is the provincial capital of Tshopo Province. Kisangani is located where the Lualaba River becomes the Congo River north of the Boyoma Falls. Kisangani is known as "Kisangani Boyoma", and the demonym for Kisangani is Boyoman (or Boyomais in French). It is the farthest navigable point upstream from the capital city Kinshasa.

It is right on the Congo and as you can see very navigatible; so we should not have any trouble finding any kind of fresh nonbackbone supported creatures for two of our mods. And since the Congo is so "diverse" in its animal species, we should both be able to find suitable alternatives in case any of our Monachos guests want to experiment with something other than the traditional BBQ fair. Which I am not recommending. I've seen pictures of what the Congo can produce in the way of wildlife.

Now, I will concede that SA is bigger in land mass than Texas, however does SA have in a single day snow in one end and a heat wave on the other? It is a long standing saying here, "if you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait 10 minutes."

ok, I think I am stretching the limits of this dialogue. Back to the real world now.

Paul

#25 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:46 PM

On a connected note, I've thought for some years that we ought to have a Monachos.net social event at some stage, getting together for worship and some big social activity. However, regular members are so spread out, it's never presented itself as a practical possibility.

#26 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:30 AM

On a connected note, I've thought for some years that we ought to have a Monachos.net social event at some stage, getting together for worship and some big social activity. However, regular members are so spread out, it's never presented itself as a practical possibility.

Well, we are very technologically capable. As many as are in a locale could get together via webcams and the like, each local group could include the other locales on a projected big screen. Each group would have a facilitator who could assist to link all the groups together much like the media has split screens to show multiple participants. We could have a worship service, say from Idaho hosted by Fr. David or from Canada from Fr. Raphael with Fr. Dcn. intoning where applicable while the rest of us watch and participate. When services are concluded each group would have a perpetually panning camera of their locale so each locale can "feel" connected to the others all up on the screen all at once.

Perhaps some of our more techy savvy members could assist with the video feeds? Maybe some of our more regionally remote members could participate via a small camera feed and be looped into the bigger picture? Where there is a will, there is a way.

#27 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:03 PM

Since Winnipeg is the center of Canada, if not of the earth, then you are all invited here.

In Christ-Fr Raphael

#28 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:31 PM

Now, I will concede that SA is bigger in land mass than Texas, however does SA have in a single day snow in one end and a heat wave on the other? It is a long standing saying here, "if you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait 10 minutes."

Only rarely, and SA is far too dry and flat for regular snow. It's known as "the driest state in the driest continent on earth". The "four seasons in one day" phenomenon happens very frequently in the capitals of the neighbouring states of Victoria (Melbourne) and New South Wales (Sydney). Though snow itself would be rare in these cities, these states do have snow country further inland.

SA temperatures are quite broad across the seasons (winter overnight lows hovering around 0-8C, summer daytime highs regularly exceed 38C, and can go as high as 42-44C.

As for a seafood and vegetable menu, I'm your girl! :) And my hubby and I are keen fishermen.

#29 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:06 AM

Since Winnipeg is the center of Canada, if not of the earth, then you are all invited here.

In Christ-Fr Raphael

Very well. Winnipeg it is. Olga brings the seafood, I'll bring the beef, the Fathers bring the veggies and the blessings, and everyone else brings a cultural side dish.

Fr. Dcn,

How many did you say were registered members of the forum? I fear without that IT setup, Fr. Raphael's parish may not be quite large enough for us all.

We got the who, what, where; Now we need the when

#30 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

Paul Cowan wrote:

How many did you say were registered members of the forum? I fear without that IT setup, Fr. Raphael's parish may not be quite large enough for us all.

There's plenty of room here with an overflow section out on the open prairie. As long as you don't mind some disturbance from time to time from the buffalo & other assorted creatures. :)

#31 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:20 PM

I am not much use grilling crocodiles or buffalo or even cows, but will bring some curry spices, and a selection of good whisky. Not forgetting some Talisker for Andreas Moran (though not only for him, I suspect).

Getting back for a moment to German Orthodoxy, I am translating a list of pre-schism German saints as used in the Russian church here, and would like to check the translation of some ecclesiastical terms. I would be grateful if one of our Russian-speaking clergy or other knowledgeable people could help me out. I am talking about three or four words.

#32 Fabio Lins

Fabio Lins

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:58 AM

I am sorry to interrupt the barbecue planning :) but I would like to announce a group I have just created:

Ortodoxia
http://www.monachos.....php?groupid=14

A group for all Orthodox members from or in Portuguese and Spanish speaking countries.

The language of the group, though, is *English* in respect for this being an international forum.
Portuguese and Spanish only if you really do not know English.

Cristo ressuscitou! Verdadeiramente ressuscitou!

¡Cristo ha resucitado! ¡En verdad ha resucitado!

I don't know if there are many other members from Latin-America, Spain, Portugal or any of the African and Asian Portuguese speaking countries for that matter, but, well, at least the call is here. : Let's spread the word, so we can share our experiences. :)

Edited by Fabio Lins, 26 September 2008 - 05:01 AM.
I had forgotten the link! :P

#33 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:24 AM

I like your icons Fabio.

#34 Fabio Lins

Fabio Lins

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:37 PM

Hi Paul!

The icons before the "Brazilian Cross" are of Orthodox saints that happen to be venerated in Brazil in Roman circles. They are just a couple of the saints from a book on the saints that are most venerated here.

The icons after the Cross were hand-made by the Zadorosny sisters, friends of mine and probably the best iconographers in Brazil.

Whilst most iconographers in Brazil are just Catholics "rescuing" their "old catholic tradition" (the catholic church tries to hide the fact it gave its back to icons and now claim them as their own), the Zadorosny sisters are cradle Orthodox from the Ukrainian Church in Brazil.

They have their own blog where people can order icons: http://ffzadorosny-i...a.blogspot.com/

:)

In Christ,
Fabio L. Leite

#35 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:07 PM

An interesting article on Brazil, if I may say so. Obrigado! :)

Incidentally, it seems that images posted to a social group cannot be seen without becoming a member of the group. Is this a deliberate decision, or something that could be altered?

#36 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:00 AM

I have created a group for people travelling to Russia and the Former Soviet Union, to exchange ideas, advice, information etc. All are welcome.

#37 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

Hello, I have also created a group called Örthodox Sexuality". Yes, the heading is controversial so that it entices younger people to come in and encourage them to open up about their struggles about marriage and love. In the hope that the guidance and the discussion will be anything but cheap and tacky and rather Orthodox in its base but with a flexibility and compassion that embraces the challenges of modern society.

All are welcome.

#38 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:53 PM

Why haven't I visited this thread before?!! A get-together is a splendid idea!

a cultural side dish

No problem - I'll make the Yorkshire puddings

[ATTACH]237[/ATTACH]

and we can wash it down with the only beer worth drinking

[ATTACH]238[/ATTACH]

Lydia will bring caviar

[ATTACH]239[/ATTACH]

and something from the store of vodka we smuggled through Heathrow two-and-a-half weeks ago ( :eek:)

[ATTACH]240[/ATTACH]

:D

Attached Files

Edited by Andreas Moran, 28 January 2009 - 02:18 PM.

#39 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:11 PM

An excellent suggestion. Bliny with caviar... I am already feeling nostalgic for the Ukrainian village where I spent last Maslenitsa.

Just to fill in slightly on the "Russian post-house" - it is meant to be quite open-ended, but to include such things as sharing experiences, suggestions on places to visit, and practical matters such as bureaucracy and transport.

#40 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

Andreas, don't forget the smetana, the silyotka, and the kholodyets' ! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users