403 replies to this topic

#401 Richard McBride

Richard McBride

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:57 AM

Oops! Please forgive me, Richard. I have indeed used your name in vain.

Richard reminded me of my lapsus in his msg #397 above, saying:

Hmmm ... not my words!!! See http://www.monachos.....5540#post65540

What he meant was that in my earlier msg #389 i should have said:

Mr Alex Michael Rusanen in his post #381 said:
I consider the discussion of whether or not evolution is true to be less than fruitless on this forum. We should rather discuss the theological and philosophical implications of the theory: is the theory compatible with Orthodox [C]hristianity? How should we view science in general? Is american creation science a healthy option for Orthodoxy?

Thank you, Richard, for warning me. I pray that i will not be so sloppy in the future.

richard mcbride

#402 Richard McBride

Richard McBride

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:14 AM

Since i broke the chain of your thinking, M. Partyka, with my msg above, perhaps i should double post and answer your question:

Isn't it true that if a single man is ordained a priest, he cannot marry later?

Yes, you have heard correctly, but that does not mean that Orthodox priests do not marry. The rule you quote simply encourages them to make the decision to either marry before ordination, or to remain celibate and become monastics.

From the ranks of the former we draw most of our parish priests and from those who follow the latter path we draw our bishops. The system has worked quite well over the life of the Church.

richard mcbride

#403 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:44 PM

Maybe I've been misinformed. Isn't it true that if a single man is ordained a priest, he cannot marry later?

This is true, however, most Orthodox bishops are very cautious about ordaining an unmarried layman. Non monastic celibate priests are a rarity - I know of only 2 (and they both took - or will soon take - monastic vows after a lifetime of priestly sevice) The vast majority of Orthodox clergy are married.

Fr David

PS - correction I know three unmarried non monastic men who have been ordained - one was quite recent and so it slipped my mind.

Edited by Father David Moser, 19 June 2008 - 01:46 PM.
add correction

#404 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:24 PM

Dear all,

As per our usual custom, when a thread grows to 400+ posts, we close it. This is because threads of that length become overly-daunting for future readers; it is better to have a few threads of manageable length (and 400 posts stretches even that!) than one that is simply too long for new readers to bear approaching.

As such, I am going to close this thread to further posts. This is not to say that discussion on the topic cannot continued; however, it will need to be raised in a new thread. That said, I would just encourage some thought to be paid in advance of simply starting a new thread to carry on circular discussions.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users