108 replies to this topic

#101 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

I'm going to open up a can of worms here and say that there are theories that Adam was a pre-existing hominid who God infused with a soul, and that the people Cain was afraid of might possibly have been neanderthals.

I have heard this theory espoused even by Orthodox clergy, however, I have difficulty accepting this in that this would imply that the human body preceded the human soul. This particular belief does not appear to be consistent with the patristic assertion that the soul and body are created at the same moment. I can only see this interpreted as meaning that man is a "special creation". Also the fathers indicate that man changed bodily in some significant manner with the fall (this is the patristic interpretation of being clothed with the skins of animals). Whereas before man was bodily more akin to the angels after the fall he become more akin to the animals. If we can then trust the patristic teaching about the nature of man and the nature of the fall, it becomes difficult to say that a hominid animal was infused with a human soul. I find this "can of worms" much harder to believe and with many more complex contradictions to resolve than the simple belief that God created man in a unique and special act of creation.

I will admit the possibility that in being clothed with the skins of animals, man was given the form of a pre-existing hominid (neanderthal?) but superior in nature to that pre-existing hominid animal, thereby answering many questions or conflicts about the fossil/archeological record.

Fr David Moser

#102 Jesse Dominick

Jesse Dominick

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

also, the Fathers teach that Adam was not born the same way as all the people after him - he has literally no parents. the Fathers accept that His body was formed from the dust, so he can't be a pre-existent hominid.

#103 Steven Burton

Steven Burton

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:09 AM

Very simply, long lifespans are counter-productive for an evolutionary process. Short life spans with many generations are best.

What if, otoh, we have got it all wrong? What if the role of evolution is not the origin of species but the deterioration of species? from the scriptural account, man had, at one time an extremely long life span (compared to the present), however, that long life span has been reduced to a fraction of what it was. Could it be that natural selection is at work to eliminate long life? Could we be devolving rather than evolving? This is not meant as a criticism of the evolutionary process, but rather an attempt to explore an alternative role for evolution in the creation of life.

Fr David Moser

There are science books in the United States that point to an abundance of oxygen before the flood for the reason of the long life.

#104 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:47 AM

Excess oxygen could not account for living hundreds of years. 5 perhaps but not 500. The industrial revolution which is blamed for the green house gases did not occur for thousands of years later. So what happened to all the O2 thousands of years before? Science can be such a stupid theory generator especially in this country.

Paul

#105 Mark Harris

Mark Harris

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

Rather than doing our head in trying to understand it all we could just relax and wait for it all to be revealed to us!

#106 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

Ah, but then we would not get to have all these fun arguments on this forum.

#107 Paul Nurmi

Paul Nurmi

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

Did humanity evolve or any other member of this universe? I have used the word in a rather liberal sense, thinking, God created the whole universe, and Genesis 1 describes steps in the process of creation which suggest a sort of evolution culminating in humanity. I always thought of God as the Ultimate Relationship and God created nothing opposite to His own eternity. So, from a lump of matter the universe exploded and from that substance all the members of the material universe were formed. And image of God I thought of primarily in terms of relationship, since God's very substance is relationship: the Father generating the Son and out of that beautiful, perfect relationship the Spirit flows in the eternal present. We are members of a visible, material universe. What sets humanity apart from the other members of this material universe, so that only we are called 'in the image of God'? Is it our capacity for personal participation in the Ultimate Relationship as adopted sons and daughters of the eternal Father, sharing in Christ's relationship with the Father in the power of their Holy Spirit which even elephants, who are very intelligent, lack? So on a primal level, yes, we are one with all other members of the material universe, and it seems like God created the universe in steps which could be called a sort of evolution, but not a chance evolution as popular theory says. In the risen Lord, Paul Nurmi.

#108 Dimitris Pakamatsis

Dimitris Pakamatsis

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

Religions (all of them) on top of being humanity's first attempt to understand the spiritual world, was also the human race's first attempt at science. There is no science in the bible, but there is God in science.

One day (in my truly humble OPINION) I believe the 2 will be reconciled. People will see that God would not be able to explain how He created the world (or pretty much anything else he does) due to the fact that his ways are SO MUCH higher than ours. It would be like trying to explain to an ant how a tv works. If God wrote the bible (basically rules of faith and lesson of life) it would be infinitely long and nobody besides God would understand it.

The bible (including the creation story) is the closest humanity will get (until science evolves) to understanding God's ways.

#109 Bill Schwan

Bill Schwan

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:47 AM

Give it time and science will catch up with the Bible

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users