1 reply to this topic

#1 Carlos Antonio Palad

Carlos Antonio Palad

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

Has anybody here attended Great Week in a monastery / monasteries and / or cathedral/s in Russia and Greece?

Here and there, I've read references to the sheer spiritual sublimity and magnificence of Great Week celebrations in Russian (Trinity-Saint Sergius?) and Athonite monasteries and I hope that somebody could relate their experiences here. I also heard that some liturgical elements not normally celebrated in parishes and in the diaspora are used at Russian and Greek cathedrals and Athonite monasteries. (I'm thinking of the hymns which are normally not sung in parish usage and in the diaspora). I wonder if that is true.

I have a friend -- a Filipino like me -- who visited Moscow last year, around Great Week and Pascha. He told me that he visited a Russian Orthodox cathedral and he was overwhelmed by the heavenly beauty of the singing, so much so that he wanted to stay there the whole day. However, he knew nothing about Orthodoxy aside from that experience and so was unable to articulate his impressions.

#2 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:29 AM

Related to singing; St. Panteleimon Monastery on Mount Athos, a Russian Monastery, in my opinion had the best singers of any monastery I visited. I say this from a harmony perspective and not necessarily from a technical one.

All the monasteries had perfect music. How they coreograph it is incredible.

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users