Photo
- - - - -

THEME OF THE MONTH: Suggestions for future themes

Theme of the Month

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

Poll: What would you like to see as June's patristic Theme of the Month? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you like to see as June's patristic Theme of the Month?

1. Renewal in the Holy Spirit (14 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Humility (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Fear of God (6 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

4. Poverty of Spirit (1 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

Vote

#1 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:26 AM

As our first 'Patristic Theme of the Month', on Joy, is currently being explored from the heritage of the fathers, this new thread is being opened to receive suggestions for themes for future months' discussions. Obviously, themes on any relevant topic can be discussed in open threads at any time -- one doesn't have to wait for the theme of the month to be on an issue to address it; but there may be specific themes / topics you feel could be beneficial for this particular focus of discussion.

Please simply make your recommendations in this thread. They will be considered for future months' instalments.

Themes already received by PM have been:

• Renewal in the Holy Spirit
  • Humility
  • The suffering of Christ and the suffering of the Father
  • Remembrance of death
INXC, Dcn Matthew

#2 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:26 AM

I would like to discuss "fear of God".

Effie

#3 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:22 AM

I would like to discuss and know what is meant when the expression "patristic mind" is used.

In Christ,
Rick

#4 Deanna Leonti

Deanna Leonti

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:36 AM

I would like to know & understand more about the Beatitudes.

ex. poor in spirit, not the same as poor as in poverty.

Deanna

#5 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:55 AM

Dear all,

I'm delighted to see how well this month's Theme of the Month, Joy, has progressed. A number of good ideas for future themes have been submitted in this thread, from which I've selected four as potentials for next month (the others have not been rejected; they remain in the 'pool' for future consideration). These I've now placed in a poll, which you can find at the top of this thread (scroll up). Please take a moment to vote for the theme you'd like to see the forum considering next month.

Please also continue to contribute further ideas in this thread, for consideration for future months.

XB, Dcn Matthew

#6 Mary

Mary

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

Too hard! May I vote for 2 things?

Mary.

#7 Peter S.

Peter S.

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:18 PM

I think "renewal in the Holy Spirit" is fitting for the month of june because of Pentecost that is in June, as "joy" is fitting for the month of Pascha/May this year. Just a thought.

Peter

#8 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:29 AM

Another suggestion for future months is an analysis of Christ's words "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me". These words have always troubled me, as have those He spoke when He was in the Garden of Gethsame.

Effie

#9 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:57 AM

Another suggestion for future months is an analysis of Christ's words "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me". These words have always troubled me, as have those He spoke when He was in the Garden of Gethsame.

I agree that this would make for an interesting theme to explore in the fathers, especially given that Christ's cry from the cross -- a theological fulfilment of the prophetic words of the psalmist in Psalm 22 -- are so often misunderstood and misinterpreted in contemporary, modern-day writings.

However, I wonder if we might consider how the subject could be modified / crafted somewhat, to allow for some wider patristic sources than just those fathers that comment on this passage in particular. Perhaps something along the lines of 'The Son's human relationship to the Father'? 'The Son's 'forsakeness''? Etc.?

We have some time to ponder refinements here in this thread, as the theme for next month (June) will be one of the four in the current poll, so this is 'research for the future'!

XB, Dcn Matthew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users