6 replies to this topic

#1 Justin Farr

Justin Farr

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:07 PM

Does anyone know of any WR monasteries in the USA? I've scoured the internet, and I haven't been able to find anything but WR parishes.

Thanks!

#2 Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:46 PM

Does anyone know of any WR monasteries in the USA? I've scoured the internet, and I haven't been able to find anything but WR parishes.
Thanks!

Justin,
there was one in Rhode Island, but they have recently moved to Ontario - http://www.christminster.org/

Christ the Savior (Christminster) Western Rite Orthodox Monastery is under ROCOR.

Sbdn. Anthony

#3 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:36 PM

Antioch does not have any monasteries in North America of which most WR parishes are under. The ROCOR monastery mentioned in the previous post is your best bet.

#4 Stephanos Franke

Stephanos Franke

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:37 AM

Justin,
there was one in Rhode Island, but they have recently moved to Ontario - http://www.christminster.org/

Christ the Savior (Christminster) Western Rite Orthodox Monastery is under ROCOR.

Sbdn. Anthony

Dear Anthony,

have you ever heard abt. a WR monastery in north america, which uses a western rite similar to anglican rite on basis book of colman prayer?

I Know the St. Petroc monastery, but this monastery is in Austrailia...

Thanks in advance. Stephanos

#5 Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:40 PM

Dear Anthony,
have you ever heard abt. a WR monastery in north america, which uses a western rite similar to anglican rite on basis book of colman prayer?
I Know the St. Petroc monastery, but this monastery is in Austrailia...
Thanks in advance. Stephanos

I actually do not know very much about the WR, I just responded to Justin's question because I am a research librarian, so I enjoy looking stuff up. But, as far my research went, Christminster is the only WR monastery in Northa America that I could find.

Subdeacon Anthony

#6 Aristibule

Aristibule

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:40 PM

There are at least three 'hermitages' in the USA where a single ROCOR Benedictine monk (or hieromonk) lives and prays - often with a few attached oblates or layfolk for the Divine Liturgy. However, they are not public, and so do not normally have visitors. There is still a monk in Rhode Island (with a mission there), and there are also some in Florida. There is also a Hieromonk following Western rite in another SCOBA jurisdiction (not Antiochian.) Otherwise, the only cenobitic monastery is indeed now in Ontario.

The Antiochians may yet have a monastery. The Saint Lawrence Brotherhood in Colorado is building a Benedictine retreat in the Rockies. St. Luke's Priory still exists on paper, I think - though possibly only now as a press (it used to be Antiochian Benedictine?) I have heard some Orthodox layfolk talk before about land for an AWRV monastery - I know there was some enthusiasm for such in Oklahoma a few years ago. Likely it is only a matter of time, as their Oblate program is likely to bear fruit (as will the ROCOR Oblate program.)

Saint Petroc Monastery, to be precise, is in Tasmania (smaller than Australia, but distinct in many particulars.) They use the Sarum and English use of the Western rite - and have a paruchia (podvorje/metochia) of attached hermitages, monastery missions, and orthodox study societies. Its ethos is semi-eremitic after Celtic monasticism - though there are also Benedictine members (using the Monastic Gregorian rite.)

#7 PapaSymeon

PapaSymeon

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:47 PM

ROCOR Stavropegial Orthodox Hermitage of St John the Divine
Central New York State

Romualdian.org

A ROCOR Western Rite institution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users