#1 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:17 PM

Title: Way of the Ascetics
Author(s): Tito Colliander; Katherine Ferre (translator)
Publisher: St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, Crestwood, NY, 2003
ISBN: 0-088141-049-7
Pages: 110
Genre: Spirituality
Price: $12.00
Links: St Vladimir's Seminary Press (publisher); Amazon.com; Archangel's Books; limited preview material on GoogleBooks
Description: From the publisher: "Way of the Ascetics is a rich, compact introduction for modern readers to the Eastern Christian spiritual tradition that has been an inspiration to millions for centuries. These compassionate and insightful reflections on self-control and inner peace are meant to lead the readers to fuller union with God. The author makes a generous selection of succinct yet profound extracts from the spiritual Fathers and provides an illuminating commentary and practical applications for daily devotion. He tempers austerity with common sense, warmth, and even humor, as he urges us on our journey toward God. Written for laypersons living fully in the world as much as for clergy, Way of the Ascetics is an excellent resource for daily meditation, authentic spiritual guidance, and a revitalized religious life."

Attached Files

Edited by M.C. Steenberg, 05 July 2008 - 11:33 AM.

#2 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:49 PM

This is a very readable introduction to (and summary of) the thought of the ascetical Fathers on various topics such as prayer, inner warfare, fasting, obedience, and so on. It consists largely of direct or freely rendered extracts of their works, along with some interpretation and thoughts on application. It is divided into 26 chapters, none longer than 8 pages, so it is ideal for those who have trouble carving out long times for uninterrupted reading. Though "assembled" from extracts from the Fathers, the book reads smoothly and without awkwardness. I re-read this book on a periodic basis.

The author quotes from St. Basil the Great, St. Isaac of Syria, Elder Anthony of Optina, St. Macarius the Great, St. John Chrysostom, St. Theophan the Recluse, and several others (they are listed in the back of the book).

Michael

#3 Antonios

Antonios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:09 AM

A remarkable book and must read for every Christian. Here is an online copy.

#4 Irene

Irene

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:03 PM

It is good to hear that this little book is online now. I have had a copy for about 20 years now.

#5 Theodora E.

Theodora E.

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:58 PM

What I love about this little volume is it's simplicity and practicality. I was talking with my priest during Great Lent about books. He said while things like The Ladder or the Philokalia are not books he would give to an inquirer or new Orthodox, this wee book is perfect, a good short introduction to the Orthodox ascetical tradition that does not overwhelm.

#6 Stuart Dunn

Stuart Dunn

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:01 AM

Also an online version here. Antonios' link is based off this version as they both have the same minor typos. Chapter 3 for example says des instead of deepens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users