11 replies to this topic

#1 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:59 AM

Title: The Orthodox Church (2nd edition)
Author(s): Timothy Ware (Metropolitan Kallistos of Diokleia)
Publisher: Penguin, June 1993 (for 2nd edition)
ISBN: 0140146563 / 978-0140146561
Pages: 368
Price: $11.56 (paperback)
Links: Amazon.com
Description: Metropolitan Kallistos' influential text on the history of the Orthodox Church, which for decades has been the 'standard introduction' in English.

Attached Files

#2 Jose Lauro Strapasson

Jose Lauro Strapasson

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:56 AM

I have this book and this was the first book I had about the Orthodox Church and the first book I have read enterily in english (since I am a non native english speaker). This book is nice. But I just wished it was bigger, with more information, colors, pictures, icons, etc. For example, it could have the text of the liturgies, the canons of the concils, a prayer book, some data about the saints, a cathecism, etc. So I am still wainting for an "Orthodox Handbook" with everything one need. This is not the case of this book, which is just an introduction to the Orthodox Chuch.

Since the Eastern Orthodox Church is the Church, the chapter about Christian Reunion could be removed.

And perhaps we deserve this, but it completely ignore Orthodoxy in Latin America...

#3 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,825 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:43 AM

IThis book is nice. But I just wished it was bigger, with more information, colors, pictures, icons, etc. For example, it could have the text of the liturgies, the canons of the concils, a prayer book, some data about the saints, a cathecism, etc. So I am still wainting for an "Orthodox Handbook" with everything one need....

Dear Jose, your request could not possibly be fitted into one book. All of those would easily fill two or three shelves in a bookcase, even if in abridged (summarised) form. :)

#4 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:02 AM

It is worth remembering that there is a companion book, 'The Orthodox Way', which forms a useful introduction to Orthodox spiritual life.

#5 Jose Lauro Strapasson

Jose Lauro Strapasson

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:50 PM

We could have more than one volume.:) Or more pages. Ok, I believe that was not the intention of the author of this book to create something bigger, but one could create one like this, and, it would be easy to do so since most material is ready.
Now I have just bought OSB, full version, and I hope to have more things about the Church.

P.S. About Timothy Ware's book, I forgot to say that I didn't like the paper quality, sorry for the expression, I don't know if we say this in english, but it is like "newspaper quality". And no intention to buy 'The Orthodox Way'...

#6 Theodora E.

Theodora E.

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:47 PM

P.S. About Timothy Ware's book, I forgot to say that I didn't like the paper quality, sorry for the expression, I don't know if we say this in english, but it is like "newspaper quality".

This paper is that commonly used on virtually all of the Penguin paperbacks I have, even single volumes of Jane Austen and Charles Dickens.

#7 Jeremiah Haynes

Jeremiah Haynes

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:25 AM

I read and enjoyed this book about a year and a half ago, it's really well written and informative. I would actually make the suggestion to read Part 2 Faith and Worship first, as I found this more interesting and satisfied my interest about Orthodoxy more than Part 1 History. Part 1 is not a bad section and it's definitely important, I just found the 2nd part to be more of the meat and potatoes than Part 1.

#8 Richard A. Downing

Richard A. Downing

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

I was in the local antiquarian bookshop a week ago (it was my birthday treat), and discovered a whole shelf in the religion room of orthodox books, mostly editions from the 1950s and 60s. It was the entire collection of a reposed Anglican bishop. I bought them all, as you would - orthodox books being somewhat like the proverbial droppings of rocking horses here in Cumbria.
This was among them, and I am reading it with great pleasure. I've met His Excellency, and it is interesting to me to see how his style has remained constant from this early work (born 1934) to his more recent ones. Few people with such erudition also have such gentleness.

When reviewing books from this era it's easy to forget that there were very few orthodox introductory texts in English then, and the audience was mostly protestant. On the paper front: Penguin paperbacks of that vintage (1963) were printed in almost post-war austerity mode, yes the paper is acid, and browns horribly. It's interesting to compare prices, my edition is marked 6 shillings, so 25 UK pence, say 35 cents!

#9 Michael Coppock

Michael Coppock

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

'The Orthodox Church' is ideal for non-Orthodox and new converts to get a better understanding of the Orthodox Church. It isn't written for scholars or theology students. It reads very easily, and has enough information without it being an epic.
It's cheap, and compact enough to carry around with you, so it can be dipped into when you have some spare time.
I first read it almost 20 years ago, and again more recently.
It more than serves it's purpose. Highly recommended for anyone.

#10 Michael Astley

Michael Astley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

There is an interesting comparison of editions here. I would like to have both but I did a swap of my second edition for a first so that I could see for myself.

M

#11 Father Stephanos

Father Stephanos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

Decades ago, I knew an Orthodox seminarian from Africa. The villages in the area where he lived had been "evangelized" by a renegade "Orthodox" cleric. This cleric then disappeared, and these "faithful" were left on their own. However, these faithful continued to pray as they had been taught without any other contact or knowledge of our Holy Orthodox Church. One day this devout man went into the city and used the library there. Among the books he happened to find in the library was a book entitled, The Orthodox Church. He read the book and from its contents realized that the Holy Orthodox Church was what he and his neighbors were taught they were part of. Through the information provided in The Orthodox Church, he and others were evetually able to find and contact canonical Orthodox Christians and be formally accepted into our Holy Orthodox Church.

With agape in our Lord Jesus Christ,
+ Father Stephanos

#12 Felixir

Felixir

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

Hello Andreas.
I'm currently reading this book and enjoying it very much. I didn't know about the companion text, so thanks for highlighting that - I shall certainly have to get a copy.

God bless you,
Felix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users