#21 Andrew

Andrew

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

Elder Joseph's Prayer Before Vigil

Lord Jesus Christ, sweetest Father, God and Lord of mercy, and Creator of all creation; look upon my humility and forgive my sins which I have commited all the years of my life up to this very day and hour. Send forth Thine All Holy Spirit, the Comforter, so that He may teach, illumine, and shelter me so that I shall not sin, so that with a pure soul and heart I may adore and worship, glorify, thank, and love Thee with all my soul and heart, my sweetest Savior, Benefactor, and God, who is worthy of all love and worship. Yes, good eternal Father, co-eternal Son, and All-Holy Spirit, count me worthy of enlightenment with divine spiritual knowledge, so that beholding thy sweet grace I may bear this vigil tonight, and render unto Thee my prayers and thanks, throught the intercessions of the Most Holy Theotokos and of all the Saints. Amen.

Prayer of Elder Ieronymos of Aegina

My Lord, Thou who becamest man for me, Thou wast reviled, Thou wast mocked, Thou wast spit upon, Thou wast scourged, Thou didst wear a crown of thorns, Thou wast crucified, Thou didst pour out Thy Precious Blood: whereas I have defiled Thine image by my sins, I implore Thee and entreat Thee, condemn me not, give me time for repentance and confession, that I may weep for my sins. Help me, O my God, because by myself, without Thy grace, I can do nothing.

There are a lot of good prayers in St. Nephon's Life, but I don't own this book (and it's no longer in print in English).

#22 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:38 PM

A PRAYER TO OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST

Lord Jesus Christ; I confess that thou art the Son of God. Wherefore do thou dwell in me and vouchsafe me to dwell in thee .

Teach me to love thee with all my heart, and with all my soul, and with all my strength, and with all my mind .

Teach me to love thee before all others, that I may be thy disciple .

Teach me to be meek and lowly in heart .

Teach me the truth, that the truth shall set me free .

Teach me to love all others, that thy love may be perfected in me .

Teach me to make my love perfect, that my fear may be cast out .

Teach me the love that thou hast to me, that I may dwell in love, dwell in thee, and thou in me .

Lines based on
1 John 4:15-17
Luke 10:27
Luke 14:26
Matthew 11:29
John 8:32
1 John 4:12
1 John 4:18
1 John 4:16

#23 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:25 PM

There are a lot of good prayers in St. Nephon's Life, but I don't own this book (and it's no longer in print in English).

Dear Andrew, thank you for reminding me. St. Nifon's prayers are truly beautiful.

And after he would eat and drink well [he did this to get back at the evil one for trying to keep him away from going to church/prayer and he did this with complete confidence in God's help], he would say to himself: "Think, Nephon, that as soon as a dog eats and drinks, he barks joyfully. Well, then, you too, since you also ate and drank of all the gifts of God, you must thank Him." Therefore, he would go to church, and with his hands raised to heaven, he would say:

"Glory to You, O Christ, my God, for filling me with Your earthly goods! I beg you, O Most Merciful One, do not deny me Your Heavenly Kingdom."

p.7

#24 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:31 PM

"My Lord, do not permit men to glorify me. Do not permit them to show me admiration and respect. Give me instead the glory that remains in the ages. Because only then my spirit will rest, when it rejoices close to You."

St. Niphon p.13

#25 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:35 PM

While giving money/things to the poor:

"Thine own of Thine own we offer unto Thee on behalf of all and for all."

And he would bow his head first paying homage to the beggar with fear and trembling and he would explain: "It is not enough that Christ comes to our feet to beg, but must He also go through the trouble of begging us, imploring us and paying homage to us? No! But we must- according to His commandment - give him eagerly and console Him, so that we may have His mercy. Blessed is He who cares for Christ!"

St. Nephon, pp-13-14

To be continued...

#26 Andrew

Andrew

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

While giving money/things to the poor:
St. Nephon, pp-13-14

To be continued...

I wish I had a copy of that book... I had to borrow it from a friend of mine. It is such a great one!

#27 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:06 PM

Dearest Effie,

Thank you so much for this prayer. Love it! And it came in a very good moment.

Nina, sweetheart, nothing is coincidence. If you needed it, God provided you with it.

I hope everything is OK with you.

Effie

#28 John King

John King

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

Andreas,

This is a very ancient Irish prayer, probably 400 AD or so:

I lie with God
May He lie with me.
God's shade above me,
An angel-girdle around my waist.
Where will you lie tonight?
Between Mary and her Son
between Bridget and her cloak
between Colm Cille and his shield
between God and His right hand.
Where will you rise tomorrow?
I will rise with Patrick.
Who are those before us?
Two hundred angels.
Who are those behind us?
The rest of God's people.
Close the ramparts on Hell
and open God's heavenly gate.
Let the great light out,
let the wretched soul in.
God have mercy upon us.
Son of the Virgin, receive our souls!

If anyone wants to have this in Irish Gaelic I will post it.

#29 Nicolaj

Nicolaj

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:58 PM

I very much like the prayer the blind beggar Bartimaeus cried out to Jesus as he heard Jesus will pass near him:

Lord Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.

It is a very moving prayer, not using much words but it has to whole gospel within it. And it is the prayer that brought me to the Orthodox Church.

I also like the Creed as sung in the service by all and the Otschen Nash as well, very moving, heart touching and one day I hope to sing it in heaven along with the all saints and tears running down over my cheek as they do in church.

Christos voskrese, Nicolaj

#30 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:00 PM

Thank you for the Irish prayer, John.

. . .

I love the service of Vespers, and especially the hymns 'Blessed is the man' (which can be sung just as well in English to the Russian melody as in Slavonic), 'Svyeti Tikhi', and 'Now lettest Thou Thy servant depart in peace, Master'.

#31 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:56 AM

He raised his hands to the East and let a deep sigh escape from his heart:

"Father, accept the lifeless one, who lost his soul. Accept the den of sins. Accept the blasphemous one, the evil one, the shameless, the obscene, the polluted in soul and body. Accept the one enslaved in all demonic activities. Have mercy on me, the immoral, the thief, the transgressor, the abomination of sin. Have mercy on me, rich Fountain of mercy, and do not turn away Your good face from me. Lord, do not say: 'I do not know you!' Do not say: 'Where were you up to now?' Do not despise me, the dirt, the smoke, the corruption, the iniquity, the disgrace, the abomination, the rubbish, the ruins of the demons, the scandal of men. Do not turn away, Master, but have pity on me and save me. Because I know, Lover of man, that You 'have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that he turn from his way and live.' I will not stop, until You have mercy on me, until You help me!..."

St. Nephon

Stories, Sermons, and Prayers of St. Nephon: An Ascetic Bishop, p.20 Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Nina, 30 July 2008 - 02:20 AM.

#32 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:11 AM

"O Lord, 'Who strechest out the heaven as it were a curtain' and adorned it with stars, the sun, the moon, and the clouds, adorn me also with humility instead of stars. In place of the sun let Your Holy Spirit shine within me. Let Your wisdom illuminate my mind like the moon. Gird me with meekness, holiness and righteousness, instead of clouds. Gird my feet 'with equipment of the gospel of Your peace.' My God, my God, Who richly spread the wind in Creation so that the people may breathe and rejoice, richly pour within me the Grace and gift of the Holy and Life-creating Spirit, that I may become god-like, pure, full of light, modest, and meek, 'full of grace and truth.' Enrich me, O Lord, with wisdom and spiritual knowledge."

St. Nephon

Stories, Sermons, and Prayers of St. Nephon: An Ascetic Bishop, p.21

#33 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:16 AM

Link from monachos.net

#34 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:48 AM

Thank you for the Irish prayer, John.

. . .

I love the service of Vespers, and especially the hymns 'Blessed is the man' (which can be sung just as well in English to the Russian melody as in Slavonic), 'Svyeti Tikhi', and 'Now lettest Thou Thy servant depart in peace, Master'.

While not prayers as such, I would add Dostoyno Yest' (It is Meet), Angel Vopiyasche (The Angel Cried Out), and Antiphon 15 from the Matins of Great Friday (Simeron Krematai Epi Xylou) as sung in the Greek church. Magnificent and humbling.

#35 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:30 AM

While not prayers as such, I would add Dostoyno Yest' (It is Meet), Angel Vopiyasche (The Angel Cried Out), and Antiphon 15 from the Matins of Great Friday (Simeron Krematai Epi Xylou) as sung in the Greek church. Magnificent and humbling.

Petros Gaitanos' rendering of Simeron Krematai is beautiful and can be found here :

http://www.nme.com/v.../search/simeron

I have Gaitanos' Hymns for each day of Holy Week and each year I play this CD during Megali Ebdomada while preparing my home for Easter Sunday. I love everything on this CD but my favourite is Axion Esti "It is right to magnify Thee".

You can hear it here : http://www.imeem.com...nos_axion_esti/

"PETROS GAITANOS

Petros Gaitanos was born in Drama, in northern Greece. After many years of studies in music he got his degree in Byzantine and European music from the Hellenic Conservatory of Athens. His teacher was Manolis Hatzimarkos.

In Easter 1995, he brought out an album entitled “Enati ora” (“Ninth Hour”) which contains Hymns of Holy Week. This album is the landmark of an artistic course focused on Byzantine ecclesiastic music and a series of CDs that contain Byzantine hymns.

The album “Passion WeekĀ» follows, which is a live recording of the concert he gave in Easter 1996 in the Athens Cathedral with hymns of Holy Week. What follows next is “Fos ek fotos” (“Light from light”) with Christmas, New year’s Day and Theophany hymns and later a triple tri-lingual box entitled “Psalo to theo mou eos yparho” (“I will chant to my God as long as I exist”) which comprises besides the albums “Passion Week” and “Ninth Hour”, the “Pentekostarion” with hymns of the Resurrection, the Ascension Day, the Holy Spirit and the Miracles of Jesus. In 2000 he releases the CD “I pigi tis zois” (The source of Life) with hymns to Virgin Mary and the actor Gianni Ferti as a narrator, while in 2003 he releases separately the CD “Pentekostarion”. "

#36 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:58 AM

I've been trying to find a translation of Axion Esti - the church hymn - and all I keep getting is Elitis' Axion Esti which is about Greece and was set to music by Theodorakis. This work won a Nobel prize for literature for Elitis and is wonderful, but not what I am looking for.

Can anyone help?

#37 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:13 PM

Dear Effie,

Please find here what you are looking for.

Dear Olga,

I love Simeron Krematai as well. And many of the hymns of the Holy Week. And "All the generations" and so on.

#38 Peter S.

Peter S.

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:58 PM

Here is one prayer I like:

Prayers of thanksgiving after Communion

(V) A prayer to the Theotokos:

O All-holy Lady Theotokos, light of my darkened soul, my hope, my shelter, my refuge, my consolation and my joy: I thank thee that thou hast accounted me worthy, although unworthy, to be a partaker of the immaculate Body and precious Blood of thy Son. But do thou, who gavest birth to the true Light, enlighten the mental eyes of my heart; O thou who didst bear the fountain of immortality, quicken thou me who lie dead in sin. O compassion-loving Mother of the merciful God, have mercy upon me and grant me humility and contrition of heart, and meekness in my thoughts, and deliverance from the bondage of my vain imaginings. And account me worthy, even unto my last breath, to receive without condemnation the sanctification of the immaculate Mysteries, unto the healing of both soul and body. And grant unto me tears of repentance and confession, that I may hymn thee and glorify thee all the days of my life: for blessed and glorified art thou unto all ages. Amen.

It contains much good stuff. :)

Peter

#39 Mary Ann H.

Mary Ann H.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:17 PM

This prayer is also at the end of the evening prayers in the Romanian prayerbook! In general, I think we share a lot of things with the Russians, like the longer set of pre-Communion prayers.
Mary Ann

Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered; let them that hate Him flee from before His face: as smoke vanisheth, so let them vanish; as wax melteth before the fire, so let the demons perish before the face of them that love God and sign themselves with the sign of the Cross and say in gladness: Rejoice, O most honourable and life-giving Cross of the Lord, driving away the demons by the power of our Lord Jesus Christ Who wast crucified on thee, Who descended into Hades, and trampled down the power of the devil, and granted us His honourable Cross, to repulse every foe. O most honourable and life-giving Cross of the Lord, help me, together with the holy Virgin Lady Mother of God, and with all the saints unto the ages. Amen.

This is a favourite, especially of my wife's, because of its power against assaults of evil and against any sort of threat. I've only seen it in Russian prayer books in which it appears at the end of evening prayers.

#40 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

Dear Mary Ann - thank you for telling us that this prayer is not only in Russian prayer books. I wonder if it is in Serbian and other prayer books.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users