96 replies to this topic

#81 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

one worth including is one given to me from a friend from Fr Raphael of the monastery in Essex.

Lord, speak a word in the heart of N
and speak a word in my heart about N

This is used when there are any problems between yourself and someone else for whatever reason so both can be reconciled.

#82 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

Lord Jesus Christ, help me and keep me from sinning, for I have strayed. Do not allow me to be lost through my sins. Take pity on me, for I am Thy creation; do not ignore me, for I am ill; do not forsake me, for I have sought refuge in Thee. Cure my soul, for I have sinned before Thee. All that I have suffered is found before Thine eyes, and I have no refuge save Thee, my Lord. Lord, save me, by virtue of Thy mercy upon sinners. Let all those who have risen up against my soul and seek my soul, in order to destroy it, come to shame; for Thou, O Lord, art All-Powerful, and through Thee are glorified God the Father and the Holy Spirit unto the ages. Amen.

~ St. Isaiah, pp. 186-187, The Evergetinos IV

#83 Mediterranean

Mediterranean

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:03 PM

My favourite prayer:
"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

Also, I love to pray and read the Bible in Greek lenguage.

#84 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:50 PM

The Pentitential Prayer of St. Mary of Egypt to the Theotokos

May <3 Saint Mary of Egypt <3 intercede for our souls now and always!

#85 Yolanda

Yolanda

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:10 PM

My favourite prayer:

Prayer of the Three Holy Children (The Prayer of Azariah and the Prayer of the Three Holy Children)

Blessed art thou, O Lord God of our fathers: thy name is worthy to be praised and glorified for evermore:
For thou art righteous in all the things that thou hast done to us: yea, true are all thy works, thy ways are right, and all thy judgments truth.
In all the things that thou hast brought upon us, and upon the holy city of our fathers, even Jerusalem, thou hast executed true judgment: for according to truth and judgment didst thou bring all these things upon us because of our sins.
For we have sinned and committed iniquity, departing from thee. In all things have we trespassed, and not obeyed thy commandments, nor kept them, neither done as thou hast commanded us, that it might go well with us.
Wherefore all that thou hast brought upon us, and every thing that thou hast done to us, thou hast done in true judgment.
And thou didst deliver us into the hands of lawless enemies, most hateful forsakers of God, and to an unjust king, and the most wicked in all the world.
And now we cannot open our mouths, we are become a shame and reproach to thy servants; and to them that worship thee.
Yet deliver us not up wholly, for thy name's sake, neither disannul thou thy covenant:
And cause not thy mercy to depart from us, for thy beloved Abraham's sake, for thy servant Issac's sake, and for thy holy Israel's sake;
To whom thou hast spoken and promised, that thou wouldest multiply their seed as the stars of heaven, and as the sand that lieth upon the seashore.
For we, O Lord, are become less than any nation, and be kept under this day in all the world because of our sins.
Neither is there at this time prince, or prophet, or leader, or burnt offering, or sacrifice, or oblation, or incense, or place to sacrifice before thee, and to find mercy.
Nevertheless in a contrite heart and an humble spirit let us be accepted.
Like as in the burnt offerings of rams and bullocks, and like as in ten thousands of fat lambs: so let our sacrifice be in thy sight this day, and grant that we may wholly go after thee: for they shall not be confounded that put their trust in thee.
And now we follow thee with all our heart, we fear thee, and seek thy face.
Put us not to shame: but deal with us after thy lovingkindness, and according to the multitude of thy mercies.
Deliver us also according to thy marvellous works, and give glory to thy name, O Lord: and let all them that do thy servants hurt be ashamed;
And let them be confounded in all their power and might, and let their strength be broken;
And let them know that thou art God, the only God, and glorious over the whole world.
And the king's servants, that put them in, ceased not to make the oven hot with rosin, pitch, tow, and small wood;
So that the flame streamed forth above the furnace forty and nine cubits.
And it passed through, and burned those Chaldeans it found about the furnace.
But the angel of the Lord came down into the oven together with Azarias and his fellows, and smote the flame of the fire out of the oven;
And made the midst of the furnace as it had been a moist whistling wind, so that the fire touched them not at all, neither hurt nor troubled them.
Then the three, as out of one mouth, praised, glorified, and blessed, God in the furnace, saying,
Blessed art thou, O Lord God of our fathers: and to be praised and exalted above all for ever.
And blessed is thy glorious and holy name: and to be praised and exalted above all for ever.
Blessed art thou in the temple of thine holy glory: and to be praised and glorified above all for ever.
Blessed art thou that beholdest the depths, and sittest upon the cherubims: and to be praised and exalted above all for ever.
Blessed art thou on the glorious throne of thy kingdom: and to be praised and glorified above all for ever.
Blessed art thou in the firmament of heaven: and above ail to be praised and glorified for ever.
O all ye works of the Lord, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever,
O ye heavens, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye angels of the Lord, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O all ye waters that be above the heaven, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O all ye powers of the Lord, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye sun and moon, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye stars of heaven, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O every shower and dew, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O all ye winds, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever,
O ye fire and heat, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye winter and summer, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye dews and storms of snow, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye nights and days, bless ye the Lord: bless and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye light and darkness, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye ice and cold, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye frost and snow, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye lightnings and clouds, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O let the earth bless the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye mountains and little hills, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O all ye things that grow in the earth, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye mountains, bless ye the Lord: Praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye seas and rivers, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye whales, and all that move in the waters, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O all ye fowls of the air, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O all ye beasts and cattle, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye children of men, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O Israel, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye priests of the Lord, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye servants of the Lord, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye spirits and souls of the righteous, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye holy and humble men of heart, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O Ananias, Azarias, and Misael, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever: far he hath delivered us from hell, and saved us from the hand of death, and delivered us out of the midst of the furnace and burning flame: even out of the midst of the fire hath he delivered us.
O give thanks unto the Lord, because he is gracious: for his mercy endureth for ever.
O all ye that worship the Lord, bless the God of gods, praise him, and give him thanks: for his mercy endureth for ever. Daniel 3:52-90

#86 Deacon Jonathan

Deacon Jonathan

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:17 PM

Morning Prayer from St Gregory Nazianzen:

In the morning I greet my God
and resolve to give no room to sin
but rather consecrate this day to you
abiding firm
and master the passions.
for wickedness would bring dishonour
upon my greying hairs
and on the table at which I minister.
Do you, my Christ,
bring this beginning
to a happy end.

Evening Prayer from St Gregory Nazianzen:

I deceived you, Word of God, and very truth,
when I consecrated this day to you.
Now night comes upon me
and my own light is not undimmed.
This I prayed over and foresaw
but in part my feet have stumbled,
and on me darkness fell,
that hater of salvation.
Rekindle my light, O Christ,
and shine on me again.

#87 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:02 AM

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Isaiah 26:3

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27

#88 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

Lord, Thou seest that I am weak and sinful: make me to be as Thou wouldst have me be.

#89 Alexander Ignatiev

Alexander Ignatiev

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

I particularly enjoy the Prayer before the Ambon from the Divine Liturgy, and the Great Doxology.

#90 Mark Harris

Mark Harris

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

The morning Prayer of Metropolitan Philaret of Moscow is one of my favorites and I have shared it with many friends Orthodox and non Orthodox alike.
O Lord,
grant that I may meet the coming day in peace.
Help me in all things
to rely upon Thy Holy Will.
In every hour of the day,
reveal your will to me.
Bless my dealings with all who surround me.
Teach me to treat all that comes to me
throughout the day with peace of soul,
and with the firm conviction that Your will governs all.
In all my deeds and words,
guide my thoughts and feelings.
In unforeseen events, let me not forget
that all are sent by You.
Teach me to act firmly and wisely,
without embittering and embarrassing others.
Give me the strength to bear the fatigue
of the coming day with all that it shall bring.
Direct my will.
Teach me to pray and Yourself pray within me.
+ My hope is the Father, my refuge is the Son, my protection is the Holy Spirit,
Holy Trinity glory be to you. Amen.

#91 Anna Stickles

Anna Stickles

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

I can't believe that no one has posted the Optina Elders prayer on here which is one of my favorites

Lord, grant me strength to meet with serenity everything forthcoming today. Grant me to submit completely to Thy holy will. At every hour of this day guide and support me in all things. Whatsoever news may reach me in the course of this day, teach me to accept it with calmness and the conviction that all is subject to Thy holy will.
In all my words and actions direct my thoughts and feelings. In all unexpected occurrences, do not let me forget that all is sent down by Thee. Teach me to deal straightforwardly and wisely with every member of my family, neither embarrassing nor saddening anyone.
O Lord, grant me strength to endure the fatigue of the coming day and all the events that take place during it. Direct my will and teach me to pray, to believe, to hope, to be patient, to forgive and to love. Amen.

#92 Rob Bergen

Rob Bergen

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:20 PM

From Pseudo-Dyonysius the Areopogite's Mystical Theology:

Trinity!! Higher than any being,
any divinity, any goodness!
Guide of Christians
in the wisdom of heaven!
Lead us up beyond unknowing and light,
up to the farthest, highest peak
of mystical scripture,
where the mysteries of God's Word
lie simple, absolute and unchangeable
in the brilliant darkness of a hidden silence.
Amid the deepest shadow
they pour overwhelming light
on what is most manifest.
Amid the wholly unsensed and unseen
they completely fill our sightless minds
with treasures beyond all beauty.

It is quite beautiful and poetic.

#93 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:20 AM

"My hope is the Father,
My refuge is the Son,
My shelter is the Holy Spirit.
O Holy Trinity, Glory to You."

- The Prayer of St Ioannikios the Great of Olympus (+846) whom we commemorated yesterday.

#94 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

"My hope is the Father,
My refuge is the Son,
My shelter is the Holy Spirit.
O Holy Trinity, Glory to You."

- The Prayer of St Ioannikios the Great of Olympus (+846) whom we commemorated yesterday.

Thanks Nina.

#95 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

I'm rather fond of a Prayer of St. Macarius the Great which I end my morning prayers with. It manages to sum up so much in so few words:

Having risen from sleep, I hasten to Thee, O Master, Lover of mankind, and by Thy loving-kindness I strive to do Thy work, and I pray to Thee: Help me at all times, in everything, and deliver me from every worldly, evil thing and every impulse of the devil, and save me and lead me into Thine eternal kingdom. For Thou art my Creator, and the Giver and Provider of everything good, and in Thee is all my hope, and unto Thee do I send up glory, now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

There is also a very short prayer I have said a few times in the past, which my spiritual father has instructed me to begin praying daily. The exact wording varies, but one example is:

O Lord, please get me to where you want me to be in my life, in spite of me.

Effectively, the idea is asking God, "Even when I'm intransigent, stubborn, digging in my heels and saying 'NO!', please don't stop working in me to make me more like Christ."

In Christ,
Michael

#96 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

I have a perticuler liking for St Patrick's breastplate prayer, it is not well known in many areas, but very powerful for me at least.

"I bind unto myself today
the strong name of the Trinity,
By the Invocation of the same,
the three in one the one in three.
I bind this day to me forever
By the power of faith, Christ's Incarnation;
his baptism in the Jordan River;
his death on the cross for my salvation;
his bursting from the spiced tomb;
his riding up the heavenly way;
his coming at the day of doom;
I bind unto myself today.
I bind unto myself the power
of the great love of the Cherubim;
the sweet 'well done' in judgement hour;
the service of the seraphim.
confessors faith, apostles word.
the patriarchs' prayers, the prophets' scrolls.
all good deeds done unto the Lord,
and purity of virgin souls.
I bind unto myself today
the virtues of the starlit heaven,
the glorious sun's life-giving ray,
the whiteness of the moon at even,
the flashing of the lightning free,
the whirling wind's tempestuous shocks,
the stable earth, the deep salt sea,
around the old eternal rocks.
I bind unto myself today
the power of god to hold and lead,
his eye to watch, his might to stay,
his ear to harken to my need.
the wisdom of my God to teach,
his hand to guide, his shield to ward,
the word of God to give me speech,
his heavenly host to be my guard.
against the demon snares of sin,
the vice that gives temptation force,
the naturally lusts that war within,
the hostile men that mar my course;
or few or many, far or nigh,
in every place and in all hours
against their fierce hostility,
I bind to me these holy powers.
against all satin's spells and wills,
against false words of heresy,
against the knowledge that defiles,
against the heart's idolatry,
against the wizard's evil craft,
against the death wound and the burning
the choking wave and the poisoned shaft,
protect my, Christ, till thy returning.
Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in the hearts of all that love me,
Christ in the mouth of friend and stranger.
I bind unto myself the name,
the strong name of the Trinity;
by invocation of the same.
the three in one, the one in three,
of whom all nature has creation.
Eternal Father, Spirit, Word;
Praise to the Lord of my Salvation,
Salvation is of Christ the Lord.

Phoebe

#97 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:29 AM

It's been a long time since anyone posted here but I would like to offer the Prayer at Daybreak by Elder Sophrony of Essex. In my weakness and negligence, I do not say it every day (as my wife does) but it is not only beautiful but it contains everything. The commentary afterwards is from His Life is Mine.

Prayer at daybreak by Elder Sophrony of Essex

O, LORD Eternal and Creator of all things, Who of Thine inscrutable goodness didst call me to this life; Who didst bestow on me the grace of Baptism and the seal of the Holy Spirit; Who hast imbued me with the desire to seek Thee, the one true God: hear my prayer.
I have no life, no light, no joy or wisdom; no strength except in Thee, O God. Because of my unrighteousness I dare not raise my eyes to Thee. But Thou didst say to Thy disciples, ‘Whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer believing, ye shall receive’ and ‘Whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do’. Wherefore I dare to invoke Thee. Purify me of all taint of flesh and spirit. Teach me to pray aright.
Bless this day which Thou dost give unto me, Thine unworthy servant. By the power of Thy blessing enable me at all times to speak and act to Thy glory with a pure spirit, with humility, patience, love, gentleness, peace, courage and wisdom: aware always of Thy presence.
Of Thine immense goodness, O Lord God, shew me the path of Thy will, and grant me to walk in Thy sight without sin.
O Lord, unto Whom all hearts be open, Thou knowest what things I have need of. Thou art acquainted with my blindness and my ignorance, Thou knowest my infirmity and my soul’s corruption; but neither are my pain and my anguish hid from Thee.
Wherefore I beseech Thee, hear my prayer and by Thy Holy Spirit teach me the way wherein I should walk; and when my perverted will would lead me down other paths spare me not, O Lord, but force me back to Thee. By the power of Thy love, grant me to hold fast to that which is good. Preserve me from every word or deed that corrupts the soul; from every impulse unpleasing in Thy sight and hurtful to my brother-man. Teach me what I should say and how I should speak. If it be Thy will that I make no answer, inspire me to keep silent in a spirit of peace that causeth neither sorrow nor hurt to my fellow. Establish me in the path of Thy commandments and to my last breath let me not stray from the light of Thine ordinances, that Thy commandments may become the sole law of my being on this earth and in all eternity.
Yea, Lord, I pray Thee, have pity on me. Spare me in mine affliction and my misery and hide not the way of salvation from me.
In my foolishness, O God, I plead with Thee for many and great things. Yet am I ever mindful of my wickedness, my baseness, my vileness. Have mercy upon me. Cast me not away from Thy presence because of my presumption. Do Thou rather increase in me this presumption, and grant unto me, the worst of men, to love thee as Thou hast commanded, with all my heart, and with all my soul, and with all my mind, and with all my strength: with my whole being.
Yea, O Lord, by Thy Holy Spirit, teach me good judgment and knowledge. Grant me to know Thy truth before I go down into the grave. Maintain my life in this world until I may offer unto Thee worthy repentance. Take me not away in the midst of my days, nor while my mind is still blind. When Thou shalt be pleased to bring my life to an end, forewarn me that I may prepare my soul to come before Thee. Be with me, O Lord, at that dread hour and grant me the joy of salvation. Cleanse Thou me from secret faults, from all iniquity that is hid in me; and give me a right answer before Thy judgment-seat.
Yea, Lord, of Thy great mercy and immeasurable love for mankind,
Hear my prayer.

Father Sophrony writes that it is the sick who need the healing of Christ as Physician Who ‘heals our souls from every ill, giving new energy, enlightening with an undying light’. He adds that ‘no sickness of spirit is incurable’, and ‘from the moment we turn to God resolved to follow His commandments, a process of basic healing begins. [I think it must be acknowledged that such process may take a long time.] And not only are we healed of our wounds or passions – even our outward appearance may alter’. He continues, ‘If any of my readers is suffering from some psychological wound occasioned by failure in life, he can attain to a regal freedom of spirit and radically change his whole life if he turns to God every day with a personal prayer such as this, for example:’ – and there follows the Prayer at Daybreak. Father Sophrony acknowledges that to ‘pray like this every morning is not easy’, but says, ‘if we pray from our heart, with all our attention, the day will be stamped by our prayer and everything that happens will take on a different character’.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users