122 replies to this topic

#41 David Lanier

David Lanier

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:03 AM

I've been reading these posts and confused as to why this subject is brought up...Has there been an influx of freemasons I don't know about?

Jason I believe I am the one guilty of reviving this thread. I did so because someone I am acquainted with has claimed that many of the bishops in the Church today are Freemasons, including HAH Bartholomew. I have not been able to find any direct evidence of this, but someone I know personally has also told me of a story in a parish they once were part of where there were several people (I think the priest included) who were Masons in that parish and at one time they even had a Masonic ritual in the church! This was in the late 90's - early 00's.

So I posted here trying to find out if anyone could offer any proof either way. The thread turned to debating whether or not Freemasonry should be something to be concerned about and whether or not it is evil and all that. The decrees of the various jurisdictions make it clear that one cannot be a Freemason and an Orthodox Christian at the same time. See: http://www.docstoc.c...and-Freemasonry if anyone has any doubts on that.

#42 John Konstantin

John Konstantin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

Excellent reading material and well within the scope of the forum no doubt, David.

#43 Owen Jones

Owen Jones

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

When I was in high school I was asked to join DeMolay. I attended meetings for approx 1-2 years. The bizarre rituals were never explained to me. In one meeting we were told by our president that Demolay was good and necessary because we could not be forced to have "n******" as members. Our adult Mason advisor said nothing to contradict him. That led me to quit coming. But also the fact that the ritual book given to me to take home stated that I should hide it from my parents and never let them see what was in it! With my education I was able to see in hindsight that Freemasonry is a kind of cosmological gnosticism. Certainly incompatible with being an Orthodox Christian in every respect. The fact that many if not most Freemasons are good, honest, decent people is a red herring argument. As for the higher ups, I have no doubt that they work to promote each other into positions of power and influence. If there are any Orthodox priests, let alone bishops who are in the Masons, this is a scandal of the greatest proportions, IMHO.

#44 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

Owen-- what does "n******" mean? I'm being serious (i.e. I'm not trying to make a joke)

#45 Peter

Peter

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Matthew 7:16

#46 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Matthew 7:16

The problem with this is that the Freemasons show many good works. They are one of the most charitable organizations in the USA. So from outward appearances, they would seem to be bearing "good fruits".

#47 Jason H.

Jason H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

Owen-- what does "n******" mean? I'm being serious (i.e. I'm not trying to make a joke)

Derogatory word for African-Americans

#48 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Derogatory word for African-Americans

Gotcha! Thanks

Owen-- Around what years were you attending the meetings? The reason I ask, is because if it was a long time ago, say the '50s and '60s, racism was much more common then, whereas if it was more recent, the racism would seem much more extreme and not "politically correct"

#49 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

Gotcha! Thanks

Owen-- Around what years were you attending the meetings? The reason I ask, is because if it was a long time ago, say the '50s and '60s, racism was much more common then, whereas if it was more recent, the racism would seem much more extreme and not "politically correct"

You'd be surprised about what some people still say behind closed doors.

#50 Andrew Pantelli

Andrew Pantelli

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

Freemasonry is a religion. The lodge is opened in prayer and hymns are sung. The prayers are directed to the Great Architect of the Universe, this god is named as Lucifer, when a Mason reaches the highest degrees.

#51 Andrew Pantelli

Andrew Pantelli

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

When I was a Mason, the charity money was spread over as many 'needs' as possible, seeming that Masons were good and generous people, it was all for show. There was no deph, no long term commitment or long term support.

#52 Guillermo M.L.

Guillermo M.L.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

When I was in high school I was asked to join DeMolay.

Excuse me for my ignorance. What exactly is DeMolay?

#53 Guillermo M.L.

Guillermo M.L.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:31 PM

Judging Freemasonry may be tricky, especially for Americans, as most of the Founding Fathers were masons. Could it be argued that America's independence was achieved thanks to Freemasonry, or in spite of it? If Freemasonry is as evil as some portray, can we say the same of the Founding Fathers?

Maybe Freemasonry was, during the 18th and 19th centuries, the only tool available for people who wished to do networking. The side-effect was that with networking also came indoctrination. Today, IMHO, there exist other ways to achieve the positive networking effects of FM without its negative effects... it could be argued that FM served a useful purpose for some people once, but it's now outdated.

It would be interesting to see if similar societies existed during Patristic times, and what the Fathers said about them. It would also be interesting to see if any of these high-ranking clerics who were supposed masons declared anything against FM.

#54 Oleg Anishchenkov

Oleg Anishchenkov

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:59 PM

Excuse me for my ignorance. What exactly is DeMolay?

Since Freemasonry has attempted so strenuously to claim that they are just a "good ole boy" fraternity that does good works and has a good time, most people will be shocked to learn the bitter truth behind that facade. Freemasonry certainly isn't "free". It could cost you your soul.

Also of interest is the irony (purposeful?) of naming the Masonic youth league the DeMolay order for boys as if Jacques DeMolay (Jacques de Molay) was some sort of hero. Christians should be aware that DeMolay was burned at the stake for being a pedophile, homosexual, for practicing witchcraft, and for worshipping the false god Baphomet.

Edited by Father David Moser, 21 February 2011 - 06:13 PM.
remove formatting tags

#55 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:14 PM

And some people need to be made aware that those charges were made up so that the King of France and the Roman Catholic Church could disband the Knights Templar and confiscate their very considerable wealth and properties.

According to certain witnesses, the early Christians sacrificed babies and practiced cannibalism. Don't believe everything you read. Take a little time to check your references.

#56 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

According to certain witnesses, the early Christians sacrificed babies and practiced cannibalism. Don't believe everything you read. Take a little time to check your references.

You mean we don't practice cannibalism every Sunday?

#57 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

I'll let someone else take a stab at that one, but that certainly is where the charge comes from.

#58 Guillermo M.L.

Guillermo M.L.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:28 AM

You mean we don't practice cannibalism every Sunday?

Cannibalism, and Theophagy as well =)

#59 Ned Toporowski

Ned Toporowski

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

If you have no proof or evidence of it, why make the claim and post it on facebook for the world to sow doubt on our clergy?

I wouldn't be quick to believe any rumor regarding freemasons. There's this conspiracy theory going around about how freemasons want to rule the world etc. I think that belongs in the same category as the claim that Elvis is still alive.

#60 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:49 AM

He is. I saw him at the Walmart a couple of weekends ago. He looks great for his age, though a bit on the Asian side.

Paul , who has left the building

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users