• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#121 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

To add to Phoebe's very good post, the word divine, as used in the title for St John, does not mean that the saint was, indeed, divine as Christ is divine. It means that he has seen and come to know the "things of God". This is the true meaning of theologian - one who has come to truly know God, not the present-day meaning of "someone who thinks or speculates about the things of God".

The term theologian has been used in the title of only three Orthodox saints: John, Gregory the Theologian, and Symeon the New Theologian.

#122 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

Andreas,

You wrote:

I found another comment by you about this, but do you have more information about Athenagoras? What was Pat. Maximos doing in Switzerland?

I'm not sure what else can be said about Athenogoras, but as I indicated, the Americans imprisoned Maximos in a psychiatric clinic in Switzerland from 1948 until his death on the first day of 1972. I was told that during his incarceration, he was not allowed to celebrate the liturgy. The handful of visitors who saw him during those years said he was in good health.

#123 H. Smith

H. Smith

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

Hi , you asked

St John the Divine is another way of referring to John the Apostle and Evangelist or St John the theologian.  Divine another way of saying theologian although it is most commonly used in early modern English.  I have seen it used as a titel in Orthodox texts most commonly the gospels or in relation to the book of Revilation.

Though I do understand how confusing it can get to have multible titles for the same saint.

Thanks, Phoebe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users