Photo
- - - - -

Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future (Father Seraphim Rose)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 James Haddad

James Haddad

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

Title: Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future
Author(s): Fr. Seraphim Rose
Publisher: St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood
ISBN: 0-887904-00-x
Pages: 254
Price: $9.95
Links: St. Herman Press, Amazon.com
Description: Orthodox perspective of the problems of various new age movements and phenomena.
[ATTACH]158[/ATTACH]

Attached Files

Edited by Michael Stickles, 06 September 2008 - 05:54 PM.
Added cover picture, links; fixed formatting

#2 James Haddad

James Haddad

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:19 PM

I recently read Fr. Seraphim Rose's book Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future. The book did a good job presenting some of the issues and problems of new age religions. I, as well as others do not agree with every idea that Fr. Seraphim presented in the book, but, the book provides a good starting place for a discussion over the concerns of the "new age". For the correct audiance, this is a good book. However, I would not reccomend this book to everybody. It is specifically good for people who have any concerns over the new age movement, if this is not a particuarly strong concern for someone, the book might be a little much.

#3 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:29 AM

New age religion, to me, doesn't seem capable of extending far beyond a certain milieu. New age concepts do on occasion appeal to a wide variety of people, but mainly when it's convenient to them. I think it's worth noting that to most serious Buddhists, Daoists, Hindus, etc. the new age movement appears pretty much as ridiculous as it does to us, so I don't think it will succeed in the kind of unification of one world religion that some fear.

Edit: I just realized I had posted a general comment when in-depth reviews should be posted instead. I will understand in the mods delete this one. Sorry!

#4 Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:03 AM

Regarding the book, I didn't get the impression that Fr. Seraphim was stressing any particular New Age movement would garner the attention of a specific One World Religion, but rather the concepts of relativism of such dangerous practices will infiltrate even the most astute institutions. Please correct me if I read into it more than was presented. I agree that it wouldn't be a good book for introducing someone into an overview of the Orthodox phronema, per say, but it should be obvious that the topic is very specific.

#5 Aaron R.

Aaron R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

Hi I am currently reading this and wonder has anyone else read this book and if so what were your thoughts on it?

#6 Cyprian (Humphrey)

Cyprian (Humphrey)

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

I've read it a couple of times. Some have thought he was overly critical (particularly of Charismatics), but I think he was bang-on. Especially in light of the "Toronto Blessing" stuff, I think he was right on; perhaps just ahead of his time.

My personal 2 kopecks.

#7 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

It is a good book - especially for its time. However, it is also, imo, a bit dated.

Fr David

#8 Richard A. Downing

Richard A. Downing

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:05 AM

I read it early in my journey to Orthodoxy. I think that was a mistake, as it could lead the naive to think he advocated hate, which is not true at all. I now find it insightful, but it is definitely a book for grown-ups.

Love,
Richard.

#9 Jesse Dominick

Jesse Dominick

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:06 AM

its been a while since I read it, but I think its an amazing book

#10 Jason Hunt

Jason Hunt

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

This is a very good book. It is a bit dated to the extent that it describes and analyzes specific movements and events that were occurring in America around the time the book was written (1970s). However, the phenomenon Fr. Seraphim observed then has only mushroomed since the time of writing this, and his general observations and comments regarding the various movements and events of his time are equally applicable to the New Age, Eastern (non-Christian), and Charismatic phenomena that we see in our own times. Fr. Seraphim’s critique of these movements from an Orthodox perspective, his comments regarding the distinctiveness of the Orthodox life and faith in contrast to these various movements, and his observations regarding where these movements are ultimately leading, are just as invaluable today as when they were written. Because the book was written a few decades ago, it is important to read just to see how much more enmeshed our entire society has become in the “New Spirituality” of which he speaks.

Regarding the Charismatic movement, one should also read the comments of Elder Cleopa of Romania in his book “The Truth of Our Faith” on the subject. Elder Cleopa makes some very valuable observations and is essentially in agreement with Fr. Seraphim regarding the origin of the phenomena observed in this movement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users