#1 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:49 PM

Dear all,

The new forum styling / design described in another thread will likely be ready for 'beta testing' in the next week, or at most two. This means it will be ready for limited release among members who are keen to try it out and give it a 'test run' prior to firming it up for release across the whole forum.

The initial beta test stage will allow participants to explore the new styling in a single forum area, giving it an initial test for bugs and opportunity for feedback. The second stage will allow beta testing participants to use the new styling across the whole forum.

If you would be interest in participating, please indicate so via Private Message to me. Participants in beta testing should be members who are familiar with the Discussion Community forum and its features, who are willing to test out the new design and note any unexpected behaviours as compared with the current design, any style issues, etc. Participants should also be willing to encounter the odd bugs as they arise in testing!

INXC, Deacon Matthew
Monachos.net

#2 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

Dear forum members,

A small number of forum members are currently testing the Discussion Community's new design, as well as a collection of new features being added to the system.

We could always do with more testers. If you've like to get a 'sneak peak' at the new style, and test out some of the new features as well as have a say in their development, please simply send me a Private Message.

INXC, Deacon Matthew

#3 RichardWorthington

RichardWorthington

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

Dear Decaon Matthew,

Just a quick note to say that the spell checking has stopped working, with a java error or something.

Thought this feedback would be helpful.

Richard
:)

#4 RichardWorthington

RichardWorthington

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:09 PM

Dcn Matthew,

I like the new look!!

Well done!

Richard

#5 Amy

Amy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:21 PM

:) I enjoy the warm look to this place. Well done!

#6 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:38 AM

I am looking in the social groups section. Some of the groups have "group images" some do not. In my 3 groups, 2 do have a group image and 1 does not. How do I fix that? I don't recall specifying any particular image to be primary and I don't see any place to click to show options to specify. Thanks.

My eyes are still adjusting to the new color scheme, but I like the "feel". I am a creature of habit, You're rocking my boat Fr. Dcn. ;)

Paul

#7 Ken McRae

Ken McRae

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

Not sure if this is the way it's supposed to be, but on my monitor screen, Google advertisements are interspersed throughout the threads. I personally find that a very distracting and unhappy feature. I can understand, within reason, the economic need for ads, but not stuck in the middle of a thread! If that can be changed, then by all means, please let it be so!

#8 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:15 PM

Not sure if this is the way it's supposed to be, but on my monitor screen, Google advertisements are interspersed throughout the threads. I personally find that a very distracting and unhappy feature. I can understand, within reason, the economic need for ads, but not stuck in the middle of a thread! If that can be changed, then by all means, please let it be so!

Here is an easy fix for this. ;)

#9 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:12 PM

Just want to mention that I like the new system better. It's easier for me to navigate and it takes care of the jumbled and overlapping words and buttons that I experienced with the "blue" system.

And, by way of feedback I want to share that I notice when I send a private message now it does not show that it was sent and my messages sent are not saved like they used to be. So, it is not clear that the messages are going out and I cannot review them.

#10 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

Re saving sent private messages: Before sending the message, check the "save sent message" box at the bottom of the screen. The sent message will be saved in your "sent" folder.

#11 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:23 PM

Re saving sent private messages: Before sending the message, check the "save sent message" box at the bottom of the screen. The sent message will be saved in your "sent" folder.

Thanks Olga!

#12 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:29 PM

Yes, thank you. I also was wondering about that.

Fr,. Dcn: Never mind that last PM I sent you. Olga has enlightened me. :)

Paul

#13 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:55 AM

Dear friends,

Thanks to those who pointed out the fact that Social Groups were only allowing messages with a maximum length of 1 character last week (!). While I agree that succinctness is a skill, this does seem to have been a bug that was being a little too zealous!

All should now be repaired, and you should be able to post messages in Social Group discussions without limitations.

A reminder that a number of new features have been included in the Social Groups system as part of our new design upgrade. More on the new Social Groups features here.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#14 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:25 PM

After using the new system for a few days, I want to say that I really like the colors and hues and font sizes and type styles. With all of the increasingly lighter shades of blue and grey on the old it really was creating a barrier for me anyway making things harder to process and remember, possibly opaque is the best word here all things considered. So for what it is worth from this visual learner, thanks for trying this out. I hope this is the system that stays. Sometimes increased definition a good thing.

#15 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:38 PM

New! The new 'Word From the Holy Fathers' weekly internet radio broadcast will begin soon. Click here for audio information about this forthcoming podcast.

Fr. Dcn,

Can you share with us who's voice it is that is speaking? Is it yours or a paid orator? I am very excited to participate in this new aspect of AFR.

Curious George,

Paul

#16 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:15 PM

Is there a way of fixing the problem of posts extending past the limits of the computer screen? It seems that this is happening more frequently than with the old setup. It is quite annoying to need to horizontally scroll back and forth across every line to read a post.

#17 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:13 PM

Is there a way of fixing the problem of posts extending past the limits of the computer screen? It seems that this is happening more frequently than with the old setup. It is quite annoying to need to horizontally scroll back and forth across every line to read a post.

The only time I see that is when I have threaded mode or hybrid mode turned on and the thread display gets pushed that wide by the complexity of the "post tree" at the top. Are you seeing it in linear mode?

#18 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:09 AM

I'm dismayed to hear you're encountering this, as such problems were one of the deliberate fixes the new styling applied to the old (where this side-scrolling occurred with some frequency). It should not be happening at all in the new, as the style has been designed to re-proportion itself in every circumstance (the only times when it will happen are those when it couldn't possibly be prevented: if you're looking at a nested 'tree view' [such as in threaded mode] that is enormous, as Michael has already mentioned; or if you simply have such a narrow browser window that it can't possibly fit everything on the page - but this would have to be rather comically narrow).

Apart from those two exceptions, there shouldn't be any pages that scroll off the side in the new styling. If you are encountering some that do, I would be grateful to know (via PM, please), so I can look into the matter. Please do note specific pages where you find this happening.

INXC, Deacon Matthew

NB: There is one other occurence where a page might temporarily scroll off to the side, as being too wide: If a page includes an enormous, wide, in-line graphic in a post, the size of the image may force the page width to expand beyond the browser space, thus causing it to enable a left-right scroll bar. However, we have an image-resizing tool on the forum, so this large image will be 'shrunk' down to an appropriate width, thus removing any side-scrolling. However, this re-sizer only comes into effect once the image is fully loaded - so if it's truly a large file, the page may be too wide (and thus have side-scrolling) while it is loading; but as soon as it has loaded, should shrink down to normal size.

The obvious example of this of late is in the 'Australians and Vegemite' thread. There is one image - a delightful close-up of a jar of Vegemite - that is truly enormous. When you load this page, the whole thing side-scrolls while the graphic is loading, since it is far too wide for any browser window. However, if you just wait a moment for the graphic to load, the system shrinks it down to an appropriate width and all looks normal again.

#19 RichardWorthington

RichardWorthington

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:54 PM

A few bugs:

The spell check button does not wor on my machine. The 'abc' spelling button did work before, but neither it nor the spell check button underneath the text work.

I views the edit history on a recent post of mine, and we told that this post was by someone else!! (Also, not a bug but just a recommendation: when viewing the history it would be a good idea if the old and new columns were the same width to make comparisons easier).

Many thanks though for all the work. It does look and feel better!

Richard

#20 Nicolaj

Nicolaj

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

I think the repressive method of infraction is not very contributive for a discussion forum!

It may be well chosen for forum where juvenile can post their questionable videos but not for a discussion forum about orthodox themes!

My humble opinion, Nicolaj, the living evil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users