#1 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:32 PM

Dear friends,

As part of the new suite of projects being launched from Monachos.net this Autumn, the new Patristics Wiki is just being developed. It's in its earliest stages - but you can already participate.

INXC, Deacon Matthew

#2 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:50 PM

I think this will be a great new resource. I am concerned about editing capabilities though. As we have seen on recent and even not so recent threads there are many "views" of a particular topic by many different people. I see this as heavily moderated so as to not allow western mindsets to interrpret thoughts of antiquity. Just because someone has access to patristics does not mean they will OBJECTIVELY transcribe or interrpret those texts. I hope to use this new resource as much or more than Orthodoxwiki,

What does wiki mean anyway?

Paul

#3 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:57 PM

The nature of a Wiki is that it is 'moderated' by being freely edited by many. Should someone create an article, or modify one, to represent a certain perspective or view, others may in turn edit that for balance, etc. It is a different approach to moderation and objectivity - one that will be particularly new to us, and I imagine we will develop our 'moderational sense' and approach to the wiki as it develops. It is a new resource, so there will be a certain amount of learning as we go along in this regard (as was the case with this forum, when it began).

So do begin contributing. The sooner we have interaction with it, the sooner we get started.

#4 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:35 PM

What does wiki mean anyway?

Paul

Hawaiian word, meaning "quick".

Mahalo,
Herman the Houli

#5 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:31 PM

Which is funny because, in a publicly edited forum, or even a discussion forum, "quick" is how fast confusion tends to set in, especially on matters of truth.

#6 Nicolaj

Nicolaj

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:16 PM

I like it and sure will participate!

Christos voskrese! Nicolaj

#7 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:39 AM

This is a very interesting initiative. I have a few questions, mostly details but first a general one on policy arising from the introductory article on Patristics: is it intended to keep to the narrower definition of Patristics as writings upto the 9th century? Also how closely should articles stick to "historical theology" and how much scope is there for ancillary areas such as history, geography, archaeology and language?

#8 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:32 PM

Dear Anthony and others, you wrote:

This is a very interesting initiative. I have a few questions, mostly details but first a general one on policy arising from the introductory article on Patristics: is it intended to keep to the narrower definition of Patristics as writings upto the 9th century? Also how closely should articles stick to "historical theology" and how much scope is there for ancillary areas such as history, geography, archaeology and language?

Thank you for the questions. To your first question: no, I don't think we will limit 'patristics' to the first nine centuries - though clearly the emphasis will be there. However, as an Orthodox patristics wiki, we'll retain its openness to the whole of the (ongoing) patristic heritage -- just as we do with our patristics library. So all fathers are open: even the very recent.

As to the scope: the nature of such a project is that it be expansive, so there is very much the opportunity to address all the things that go into understanding patristic contexts: geography, archaeology, language, political events, etc. Just link up a word, and add a new entry.

I've just been working on the entry for St Ignatius of Antioch. I look forward to other people beginning to contribute.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#9 Andrew Prather

Andrew Prather

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:00 AM

I do not think this belongs here. Seems like someone is advertising or something?

Posted Image

Link:

http://www.monachos....rance_thing_356

#10 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:11 AM

But that's a sweet looking car.

#11 Jason H.

Jason H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:58 AM

I do not think this belongs here. Seems like someone is advertising or something?

Posted Image

Link:

http://www.monachos....rance_thing_356

I don't get it....

#12 Andrew Prather

Andrew Prather

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:19 AM

It shouldn't be there correct? I'm posting so that someone deletes it as it obviously isn't a Patristic quote.

#13 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:59 PM

One of the moderators brought this up to us last week. It now looks like someone has deleted the page.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users