Photo
- - - - -

A sinner seeking repentance (first post)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Emelonas

Emelonas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

Hello,

I hope this is not a repost.  I am a new member of the Monachos forum.  This is such a great spiritual resource on the web.

As a cradle Orthodox Christian, I was born into ethnic but not necessarily religious family. Orthodoxy was woven into our culture growing up but has become an increasingly important part of my life.

As I've gotten older, I have come to value this tradition more and more. In particularly the past few years I've seen many changes occur in my own life.  Although professionally I have progressed, my spiritual life has suffered because of my own decisions.  Aalong the way I Have sinned greatly in ways I am ashamed of now.

As a physician, I find a monastery can offer a spiritual healing that is very difficult to find in the world.  As I live in United States, this can be a challenge compared to an Orthodox country.

Although I believe my vocation is to the married state professionally I am able to take time off for sincere repentance and do not have family obligations.  I was wondering if any of you might know of a monastery that would except someone for a temporary period of time to live humbly In repentance, perhaps 1 to 2 months.  I would be able to help the brotherhood in any way I could.  Please contact me how to go about this via private message or directly on this forum. 

Thank you,

Emelonas

#2 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

hi,

I am not in the USA but what I can say is that you need to chose and stick to one spiritual Father (preferably your parish Priest if possible) as over time he will be able to help you on this path of repentance.  I know this is a hard path I was only received this year into Orthodoxy and went through a intense period of repentance, and that a stable spiritual father is essential for the process.

I do not know the American monastery so I would not know where to suggest.  If you have the time a short trip to the monastery in Essex would probably be beneficial, however it is not normally possible to stay for extended periods due to the popularity of the Monastery.  Another option might be to spend some time on Mount Athos.

Phoebe

#3 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

Dear Friend in Christ,

There are many monasteries here in the United States which are Greek Orthodox. If you pm me which state you are in, I can guide you.

It is not unusual for pilgrim visitors to stay one week at these monasteries. You need to call them and request permission to stay overnight, and at that time, you may also ask them to stay for a week. You will participate in helping them and you will attend services. If it is a monastery with an Elder/confessor full time, you will request permission to see him and confess and speak. At that time, you could ask if it would be permissable to extend your stay or to come another time for a longer period. The Elder will need to give his blessing for this, after he meets you and speaks to you.

If you have never been to a monastery before, a short trip is a good way to familiarize yourself with their schedule and life. Even an overnight stay and a weekend will bring you great joy and spiritual relief.

Since monasteries depend upon the goodness of people, it is customary, though not necessary, to bring a gift of food, since most of them feed all visitors and guests. Again, ask the monk who will answer the phone,what they need...for example, it could be olive oil, rice, peanut butter, tuna fish or bananas, or any of these.

If money and travel are not an issue (or if you have unused Delta skymiles!), many pilgrims from all over the United States visit St. Anthony's Monastery in Arizona. My husband has visited there for a week, as have many friends and relatives--female and male. They were all spiritually refreshed in this literal piece of paradise in the desert.

Their website is: http://www.stanthony...y.org/index.php

They have an easy website to use, and you will see the 'pilgrim's guide' where they give all the necessary steps in arranging a visit there.

Again, depending on your state, I can lead you to any of their affiliate monasteries.

In Christ,

Alice

Edited by Alice, 13 December 2013 - 02:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users