Jean-Serge

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

Dear all,

I would like to know what is the policy of the "official orthodox churches" (Constantinople, Moscow etc) regarding weddings between their faithfuls with faithfuls from "true orthodox churches" (those belonging to old calendarist jurisdictions, Russian true orthodox churches etc), and we could add old believers. The aim of the question is not polemic, I am myself a "true orthodox" but more informational because I see nothing about this and when I ask the question, I generally get no clear answer. However, I guess that the question for sure must have arisen in countries like Greece, maybe Romania or the US.

I see that most official churches, since the 17th (for Russia) and 19th century (for Greece) conduct wedding between their members and other christians baptized in the name of Trinity, under condition the children will be raised as orthodox (condition that it is not always respected by the way). The exception regarding the practice is the church of Georgia that follows the traditional canonical order, only marrying orthodox with orthodox. But none of them explicitly deals with the question of orthodox they would regard as schismatics.

Regards,

Jean-Serge

#2 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

Dear Jean-Serge, 

To my limited knowledge, the issue would be much the same as an Orthodox person marrying a Roman Catholic or Anglican, it would need the blessing of both bishops (the bishop of the husband to be and the bishop of the wife to be), the only sticking point might be in regard to future children as both bishops would most likely require any children to be brought up within their jurisdiction, I suppose regarding old calandrists a comprises might be a canonical church which uses the old calendar such as the Russian Orthodox Churches, but it is a pastoral issue and would have to be worked out by the man and woman's spiritual fathers. I don't think there is an official potion which applies in all cases, but I could be wrong.

In Christ.

Daniel   

Edited by Daniel R., 29 December 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#3 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:07 AM

Hmmm, interesting question. Personally I don't believe there would be any hindrance within the Greek mainline canonical churches. I know some old calendarist laity that would be willing to marry new calendarists as long as it's in their church. But I don't know what their Bishop would require, I know in one instance a couple broke up because the old calendar priest required the groom to convert, the thing is this priest from the Chicago area is considered extremely hardcore more so than his bishop in astoria, it's possible if they were in the NY area, the old calendar bishop would of required less to perform the marriage.

I also knew an instance where an old calendarist was asked to baptise a child whose family was new calendar. She refused the offer but it didn't seem that the Goarch was so against it. This particular old calendarist has many new calendar friends that are clergy so she may be treated more leniently.

Edited by Kosta, 30 December 2013 - 05:09 AM.

#4 Jean-Serge

Jean-Serge

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:07 AM

I also knew an instance where an old calendarist was asked to baptise a child whose family was new calendar. She refused the offer but it didn't seem that the Goarch was so against it. This particular old calendarist has many new calendar friends that are clergy so she may be treated more leniently.

Do you mean be the godmother? Not really linked to the question of marriage, wedding then. 

#5 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

From my experience:

Couples married in churches not recognised as canonical, and people baptised in such churches, are regarded by the canonical churches (of Greece and Russia, at least) as unmarried and not "fully" baptised, respectively, in the eyes of the Church. Such marriages are required to be "regularised" in a canonical church, and baptisms "corrected" by chrismation.

I have also attended Greek churches where there is a notice in the narthex stating that those not of a canonical Orthodox baptism (referring to non-canonical Orthodox jurisdictions) are not permitted to receive Holy Communion.

#6 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

Do you mean be the godmother? Not really linked to the question of marriage, wedding then. 

That's correct I meant the sponsor. I'll ask someone who is familiar with this issue to see what the protocol would be. Also when I say the Goarch wouldn't require much would be toward the Greek Old calendarists and not the other groups.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users