#1 Christophoros

Christophoros

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

Occasionally I see a reference to an on-going translation of the Holy Scriptures being produced by St. Vladimir's Seminary. Does anyone have a progress report, and does anyone know the extent to which the Slavonic text is being used? Thanks in advance.

#2 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:14 AM

Occasionally I see a reference to an on-going translation of the Holy Scriptures being produced by St. Vladimir's Seminary. Does anyone have a progress report, and does anyone know the extent to which the Slavonic text is being used? Thanks in advance.

Are you referring to the Orthodox Study Bible that they just released a few months ago? I have some wondeful Green hard-cover books they produce ... they take something scriptural and give Church father comentaries on the related passage - in English! There are a few available my favourite is the one for the Psalms and the Isaiah.

#3 Christophoros

Christophoros

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

Are you referring to the Orthodox Study Bible that they just released a few months ago?

No. This is to be a completely new translation of both the Old and New Testament.

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:00 PM

Have you heard anything else about it, Christophoros, other than that the project exists? I'd be curious to know too. Since the OCA uses "liturgical English," would the translation be done along those lines?

#5 Christophoros

Christophoros

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:36 PM

Have you heard anything else about it, Christophoros, other than that the project exists? I'd be curious to know too. Since the OCA uses "liturgical English," would the translation be done along those lines?

I can't say I know anything about the SVS work, except it has been mentioned by a handful of scholars as an ongoing project. There is also an edition being prepared by Holy Transfiguration Monastery (translators of the Great Horologion) that is also in the works, along with a handful of others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users