24 replies to this topic

#21 Olympiada

Olympiada

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:01 AM

We all know about the martyrs of the Boxer Rebellion- I would be curious to hear any information about Chinese new martyrs during the Communist period, as I know that the Orthodox were persecuted, especially in the Cultural Revolution.

I'm also curious about the current status of the Chinese Orthodox Church. Last year, Constantinople expanded the EP's Hong Kong metropolis to include mainland China. In this statement, the Russian Synod protests this move as "an infringement on the rights of the Chinese Autonomous Orthodox Church." They are treating the Chinese church as a vacant but still existing seat. Does a church maintain autonomy, even after it has basically been destroyed, except for a few small pockets?

Ryan, I'm really excited by the links I've gotten in this forum to continue my research on the Orthodox church in China! I think you will find everything you need by going to those links, especially Orthodoxy in Asia, and the Orthodox Church in China, and then going from there, as well as Fr. Mitrophan's yahoo group on Orthodox Christianity in China. I want to know if any Orthodox Christians came across the practice of foot binding, and what their reaction to it was. Olympiada

#22 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:55 AM

We all know about the martyrs of the Boxer Rebellion- I would be curious to hear any information about Chinese new martyrs during the Communist period, as I know that the Orthodox were persecuted, especially in the Cultural Revolution.

You may find this link useful and informative: Stars of the Orient: New Martyrs of China

Edited by Herman Blaydoe, 10 September 2009 - 11:56 AM.
typo correction and deletion of unnecessary portions of the quote

#23 Mitrophan

Mitrophan

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:54 AM

For the martyrs and confessors of the faith during the cultural revolution, see the powerpoint presentation presented on Sunday 08 October 2006 by Abp Hilarion of Australia, now First Hierarch of ROCOR:

http://orthodox.cn/m...turalrev_en.ppt

-Mitrophan

#24 Pantelis

Pantelis

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

As an Orthodox Christian living in South China for 5 years, I would like to comment on a few things based on what I have read so far:

a. The Ecumenical Patriarchate parish clergy are available to minister to non-Chinese Orthodox living in the mainland. Anyone with a need for pastoral care can contact them via the info at OMHKSEA.org
b. As for the Chinese response to foreigners conducting mission work in China, it is not merely a Chinese/Russian anitpathy. Given the experience that China had in the 1800's, they are leery of foreign organizations potentially using religion as a tool to carve spheres of influence in the mainland. This was unfortunately a common practice during that time frame, so there is a suspicion now to missions work from the outside. (read about the history of the foreign concessions in Shanghai or about Qingdao). For example, even though there is an officially sanctioned Catholic church, it is not connected to the Vatican. The Vatican sanctioned Catholic church does not operate officially in the mainland. Also, there is a 'Three Self-Patriotic' Church (Protestant) which is officially sanctioned, but as people know from reading the news, there are many unofficially sanctioned Protestant house churches that exist in the mainland. For the current gov't it is all about control.

Going back to a previous post where someone had indicated a desire to be a missionary in China, I would like to comment to that person that the role you are thinking of might be different than the role that might be needed. If you are intending to blantantly be a missionary, it will be very difficult for you. If you wish to live an Orthodox way of life in China and be a witness to those around you of your beliefs by the way that you live, there might be something you can offer. Think about it, pray about it, and see how God is calling you to serve Him. Perhaps you are being called to serve in the Far East in a way that you could not imagine. Before you make any sort of committment, visiting the region will give you a better idea of the struggles that the Church faces here.

#25 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:49 PM

Mitrophan has posted videos of his visit to the new Church in Beijing plus the St Nicholas church in Shanghai had it's first Divine Liturgy in many years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users