#21 Deacon Jonathan

Deacon Jonathan

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:08 AM

8th century is the date given for the complete Lectionary as it is; parts of the lectionary itself would have been established much, much, earlier. For example, from an email list I'm subscribed to, regarding Christmas:

In the second century St. Clement of Alexandria also indicates that the day of the Nativity of Christ is December 25. In the third century St. Hippolytus of Rome mentions the Feast of the Nativity of Christ, and appoints the Gospel readings for this day from the opening chapters of St. Matthew.

And of course that Gospel reading is still used today, 1700+ years later.

#22 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:23 AM

Also, the Book of Revelation is centred around Judgement Day Sunday in Lent. A friend of mind informed me of that.

#23 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:15 AM

Dear friends,

St John's Apocalypse (i.e. the Book of Revelation) is canonised in the writings of the fathers at least as far back as the mid-second century. It bears significan canonical weight in this period, as well as in all following.

The question of its canonisation into the listing of books assembled as the New Testament (which came about most strongly in the fourth century) was varied, as in some places it was viewed as 'essential reading' on a wide, general scale; in others it was not. But its canonical authority was not a question: it was already the basis of liturgical worship, and a key text in patristic writings of every sort.

The Church does not read it as part of the general lectionary, nor prescribe it for general private reading, because it has long understood it as a book that requires a teacher, which is best read in obedient relation. Given its nature as apocalyptic vision, it is easily prone to mis-reading, to falling prey to the phantasms of perception of the passions. It is a text, the proper meaning of which requires some considerable ascesis and discernment, aided by the pastoral vision of a teacher who can help bring out its true meaning.

This is yet another reason for the Orthodox encounter with the book being, as it is, framed largely through liturgical experience. No single book more distinctly shapes the divine services, and there are numerous days in the calendar (especially some in pre-Lent and Lent, as has recently been mentioned) that focus on it more directly. In these, the Apocalypse is seen, and heard in a liturgical framework that draws our hearts into it in its truth -- something far different than simply sitting down to read it on our own, or even hearing it proclaimed in pericope, and letting our passionate minds make of it what they will. That is noble and challenging enough a task for us with the Beatitudes or commandments: how much more so with the apocalyptic visions of this text! So the Church, in her wisdom, preserves this text for proper, constructive encounter.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#24 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:01 AM

Dcn Matthew,

I appreciate and respect that if someone wanted to analyse it that it would need a teacher mastered in eschatology.

Could you please further discuss, can an individual read it without associating or wanting to associate any apocalyptic meaning behind the text (say simply to read it for the Blesssing it promises) without the aid of a teacher?

[it can be hard for most of us to acquire or find a teacher who masters in this topic].

Edited by M.C. Steenberg, 08 January 2009 - 05:21 AM.
Removed italic formatting of entire post

#25 Stuart Dunn

Stuart Dunn

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:50 AM

The website with audio http://www.saintnicodemos.org/ is just placeholder audio at the moment it seems. The webmaster directed me to this site http://www.pantocrat...?name=Downloads As it stands now you click a file, and it automatically loads it into windows media player (or a different media player of your choice...I assume). There is a work around if you want to save the files which involves several steps and both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I won't go into great detail how unless people are interested in saving the files to their computer, mp3 player, etc.

The old link I posted is now a dead link and has changed to this http://www.pantokrat...wdownload&cid=5

#26 John Litteral

John Litteral

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:05 AM

I've got a translation of St. Andrew's commentary on Revelation if anyone is interested I can email a copy of the file to you. Great commentary! I have a commentary I did http://litteralchris...y John Litteral

#27 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:52 AM

John, is the link you have provided to your own interpretation of the Book of Revelation, as per this introduction:

MY APPROACH TO THE BOOK OF REVELATION

I seeked to give the literal interpretation of the book of Revelation. Even though this book is full of symbolic language, the symbols do have meanings, and some of it is obvious while others can be understood in the light of the rest of the Bible. I gleaned a lot from the wisdom of the Early Church Fathers and Church teachings, while I applied my years of personal study and meditation of this book of the Bible. I aimed to give concise but complete interpretations of each passage, while trying to keep it as simple to follow as I could.

Or, is it a translation of someone else's commentary? You mentioned a St Andrew: Could you be more specific as to who he is?

#28 Stuart Dunn

Stuart Dunn

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

Andrew of Caesarea.

Dr. Jeannie Constantinou thesis was about 500 pages including a thorough introduction the subject as well as a complete English translation. It is supposed to be published in book form soon, but no telling how soon that soon is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users