#1 Norman Turner

Norman Turner

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

I recall that some monks make (or did make) their own caskets  - for the time when they will eventually die. Perhaps this solidifies and refocuses their temporal perspective.  Can anyone provide details on the making and purposes of self-coffin making?  Who are (or were) the monks who do this?

#2 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

hi,

From my understanding Monastics are not buried in caskets but are rather buried sew into their habit, or at least the athonite tradition is to do this.

I would assume that monastery such as the one is Essex where burials occur in a crypt caskets would be used for practical reasons.

Caskets are relatively easy to get hold of in western counteries, but simple ones are also very easy to make, up until around a 100 years ago the local carpenter would make it, so anyone with some ability to work in wood would be able to make one when needed. 

Phoebe

#3 Niko Barounis

Niko Barounis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

I think its the russian orthodox monks, could be just the most advanced, (full monastic habit. i think they r called "serafims"? who make and/or sleep in there casket. iv seen a video of one who lived in a little house (at the monastary) like 15 by 15 ft and he had his casket in the house. i dont emember the name of the monastary but its the most popular in russia and its considered the mt. Athos of the north.

#4 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

i think they r called "serafims"?

Schemamonks.

#5 Niko Barounis

Niko Barounis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

Schemamonks.

yes, tnx

#6 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

St Seraphim of Sarov made his coffin from a log and kept it in his cell as a reminder of death. He was buried in it, his relics being transferred therefrom on his glorification in 1903.

#7 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:03 AM

I think I remember reading St. Herman of Alaska used the lid of his coffin as one would use a blanket in winter. Of course it did not wrap around him but just laid on top of him.

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users