#1 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

I need your prayers please for my mother.  She is in hospital and not very well.   She is full of bitterness because of the bad luck she has had in her life and this pains me more than anything.   The last two times I went to Australia to be with her when she was in hospital did not turn out very well.  She seemed not to want me there.   This time I just don't know what to do.  I don't want to upset her by going there again because she is a very strong woman and will, most probably, be home again in a week or so.  She is 86 years old and very independent.  Please pray for her.

Thank you

Effie

Edited by Effie Ganatsios, 13 January 2014 - 01:29 PM.

#2 Kathryn Conant

Kathryn Conant

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

Effie,

What is your mother's first name?  I will pray for her.

Kate

#3 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

My prayers for you and your mother Effie,

My grandmother was very independent too. But when she got to the point we could not handle her anymore, she was moved into a home where she could have 24/7 medical care. She never forgave us for taking her car keys away and selling her home.

She raised a good daughter. Try to remind her of the good things in her life. and if she is willing, what she has to look forward to in the next.

Paul

#4 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:42 AM

Kathryn, her name is Sonya (Hionia in Greek. Her baptismal name is Hionati = Snow White.)

thank you so much for your kindness Kathryn.

Effie

Edited by Effie Ganatsios, 14 January 2014 - 06:46 AM.

#5 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

Paul, unfortunately she has raised a selfish and bad-tempered daughter.  I spent last night asking God's forgiveness for my behaviour towards her.  My brother told me that she is a little better today so I will telephone and ask her forgiveness and tell her how much I love her and how proud I am of her.   I feel so ashamed of myself.

thank you for your kind words Paul.  

Effie

#6 Leah

Leah

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

Dear Effie, I will pray for your mother Hionia,and for you.

#7 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Thank you so much Leah.    My mum is doing better.  She has been transferred from the cardiology ward to rehabilitation. .  If she continues like this she might even be home soon. My two sisters and brother are with her.   I couldn't speak to her because when I phoned she was being transferred.  I'll telephone tomorrow morning. 12 noon Greek time is 9 pm Australia time. 

It's so hard being so far away. 

Effie

#8 Antonios

Antonios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

My meager prayers are with you and your mother.

#9 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:26 AM

Thank you Antonios.  I was able to speak to her yesterday.  She sounded tired but optimistic.    She is doing much better.  God willing, she will be out of the hospital soon.  

Effie

#10 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

Dear Effie,

That is good news!

( I am a little stumped, because I could have sworn that I posted a prayer post for you, which I wrote, but now I can't find it...Perhaps I forget to click on post.)

In any case, I  just wanted you to know that, because you are a dear friend in Christ, and my prayer was with you and your beloved mother, Kiria Xionati. I pray for her well being but also for her soul to be relieved of the bitterness of a life of bad luck. Unfortunately, that is a bitter pill and a challenge, even for the most spiritual people. May the Lord have mercy and bring the sweet balm of healing the soul with His Holy Spirit and love!

Perhaps you might want to share the life of St. Nektarios with her. It has helped many people with the sting of bad luck in their lives, because his life was like that too. I remember my elderly grandmother, after she read 'A Saint of our Times', putting the book down pensively and saying "the saint would have good things happen in his worldly life, only to be thrown down again and again." The book also brought her great peace, because along with the ups and downs experienced by the Saint, of which many of us can identify, there is so much love and faith in God, His holy Mother, and the saints, that one is touched and rejuvenated by God's grace after reading these chapters.

Sending you and your family my love,

Alice

Edited by Alice, 17 January 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#11 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:05 AM

Alice, for some reason my "sign in" wasn't working.  I was able to sign in yesterday.  My mother is better but it has been determined that she is unable to take care of herself. She is in a rehab centre connected to the hospital.   She forgets some things, just as I do, but her mind is very sharp.  She has always been very intelligent and that has not changed.  She is very independent and believes that if the doctors would stop messing around and operate on her cataracts - she missed her appointment because she was in the hospital - she would be OK.    A meeting will take place today between the doctors and my brother and sisters to decide on  some sort of solution.  She has told all of us that if she is put in any type of nursing home, she will die.  And she is just stubborn enough to carry out her threat.  I feel so sorry for her but can understand her.  But I am also afraid for her.   She told me that she was always mistress of her destiny and capable of raising 5 children and taking good care of her home.  She loves her home and wants to stay there.  I told her that she should come to Greece and I would take care of her.  But she doesn't want to.  She wants to remain in Australia and close to her regular doctor.  She trusts him in contrast to the doctors in the rehab centre she was transferred to.

I am praying that a solution that will please everyone can be decided on today.  

Thank you for your prayers.

Effie

#12 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

Just an update on my mum's situation : I just finished speaking to her on the phone. She has been back in her own home for the last month or so. She is really well. Some health problems but nothing serious. I just do not know where she gets her courage from. A woman comes once a week to help with any housework that is too much for her, but she does just about everything herself. The economic situation is not as it was in Australia and last week she decided to go to the market and then walk home. About 1/2 an hours walk for a fit young person. She was complaining the next day that her lower back hurt. I asked her why in the world she walked home with a loaded shopping cart. Why didn't she take a taxi - pensioners in Australia pay half price for taxis, buses, etc. She told me that the Indian taxi drivers have raised their prices and she can't afford taxis anymore. She'll be 87 in August. Unbelievable!

thanks for everyone's prayers.

Effie

#13 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

Thank you for the update Effie.

Paul

#14 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

LORD have mercy!

#15 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

Thank you for the update, dear Effie. Indeed, God has blessed your mother with a strong constitution! Glory to God!

It is so good to hear from you, Effie. How are you? How is your family? How are things going in Greece? 

Edited by Alice, 03 July 2014 - 12:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users