#21 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

A "knowledgeable experience"--very good!  Otherwise, our beliefs are simply a magnet that creates our reality that we may or may not be aware of (regardless of whether we feel we subscribe to the majority view or the minority view).  

#22 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:03 PM

A topic that I need to re-read in Holy Scripture and in the Lives of the Saints;  simply going back to the basics of the "Alphabet"

as a little child.  Always learning "humility" day by day, in the ordinary circumstances of life.  

Divine humility is the bearing of all things from all people,

and is the way of Christ,

a way which leads by the cross to resurrection.

This is the journey downwards which leads to our ascension.     from post #2

This "Journey downward" is for me the most difficult.  

Please pray for me a sinner  during this time of "Advent".

Edited by Marie+Duquette, 09 December 2014 - 08:04 PM.

#23 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:36 AM

A man went to see Elder Paisios and told him he suffered from pride. Elder Paisios said, 'well, perhaps you have a lot to be proud of. Perhaps you created the sun, the moon, the stars, the earth and all that is in it'.

#24 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:49 PM

A man went to see Elder Paisios and told him he suffered from pride. Elder Paisios said, 'well, perhaps you have a lot to be proud of. Perhaps you created the sun, the moon, the stars, the earth and all that is in it'.

Sometimes I wonder if the responses of a man would be the same as a response from a woman?  

I don't understand why you have responded with a quote from the Elder Paisios,  when a quote from Saint Silouan was posted  in #22?  

Perhaps this learning of "humility" is contained in the contradictions coming from quote upon quote.  

The most important quote for me in this descent towards "true" humility, and the prayer of Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy upon me, a sinner, is contaianed in the word of Jesus:  " Learn of me, that I am meek and humble of heart."   And, as Saint John the Baptist is quoted as saying in Scripture:  "He must increase as I decrease."

Learning from an  example given by  Christ Jesus, Himself, or from the quotes of a cannonized Saint, whether man or woman, can be a word of guidance on the Journey through Advent.  This was the WAY of the Desert Fathers and Mothers as well as that used by Saints whose lives are closer to us in this 21st Century.

Peace!

Edited by Marie+Duquette, 11 December 2014 - 02:51 PM.

#25 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

Elder Paisios or St Silouan? Two Fathers, one message - just put differently. Elder Paisios was dealing with the man in front of him for whom the saying must have been appropriate. But I mentioned it because I heard it said by Metropolitan Athansios of Limassol (who was for sixteen years with Elder Paisios)in a video of a talk he gave in Moscow. It seemed to be to be a way of reminding all of us that we should give Christ the glory for everything and attribute nothing to ourselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users