12 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron R.

Aaron R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

Can a moderator please unlock my thread " Why a Orthodox cannot be a evolutionist" ? I am perplexed to why it is locked .

It is found under creation and the cosmos. Thanks for any help or information about this.

Aaron

#2 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

They should allow discussion on more controversial subjects, the forum is dead. Where did everyone go?

#3 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

It is as you say Kosta, many left because of the arbitrary censorship.  It's the logical end result.

#4 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

The expression, 'arbitrary censorship' is misplaced. There have been occasions when views which are not in accord with Orthodox teaching and Holy Tradition have been forcefully put, and in those circumstances, it has been entirely right and proper that the Orthodox position has been upheld; indeed, there have been times when such upholding has not been firm enough.

#5 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:55 AM

'Arbitrary' is a very appropriate modifier to use.  The only other thing that could be added to this would be to share the phrase coined by a Bishop in
the UK about Monachos, years ago, which is "Censor Happy."

#6 Niko Barounis

Niko Barounis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:31 AM

arbitrary ~ censorship ~ or not.

They should do whatever needs to be done to keep this site from becoming another OCnet type site.

where all the newly othodox go to make duragatory generalisations abt various races and to make sugestions on how to improve our orthodoxy Christianity. everyone overe there thinks they know better then the fathers who started the church....btw: most overe there are teens who think they have the answer to everything... I hate that site.

I just wish this valuable site would just somehow get a boost in traffick, im afraid it could soon close its doors:(

#7 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:51 AM

Niko,

I definately agree with you about oc.net. I wouldn't want this forum to turn into that. I consider monachos.net to be the more traditional site, and the most trustworthy forum of Orthodox discussion. Possibly because of the insistence on keeping the conversations within the patristic consensus.

I remember trying to answer a post about RC doctrine and the Orthodox objections, the thread was locked, how polemical could it get that every post had to be reviewed and then dropped?

Edited by Kosta, 08 February 2014 - 03:52 AM.

#8 Timothy Phillips

Timothy Phillips

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

OC.net can be entertaining in small doses.  But yes, the moderation is better here.

I hope this forum survives.  But if this forum fail, try

http://forum.ship-of.../ultimatebb.cgi

It has excellent moderation while providing room for various levels of controversy.

#9 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

This website has a specific purpose. a web site dedicated to the study of Orthodox Christianity through its patristic, monastic and liturgical heritage. Everything outside that is outside the boundaries of this site. If Fr. Irenei were to be strict, there would be no community forum and this site would be strictly academic in regards to Patristics. I would say he has been very kind in even allowing up to post here.

Keep in mind our site owner is a heiromonk with bigger responsibilities on his plate these days than overseeing how we stick to the rules he originally set out for this site.

If y'all want to quibble about atheists or the "super duper really original first and foremost apostolic primarily orthodox church of the first century, or how big the fish was that swallowed Jonah or was Jesus really black or had blond hair and blue eyes, there are other websites where you can post your opinion. This site is does not serve that function.

Besides, there are almost 10 years of historical community postings where I am sure your every questions have been answered. Use the search feature, it is your friend.

Paul

#10 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:38 AM

Paul does, if I may say so, make a valuable point. The collection of posts over ten years are a  most valuable resource. What I regret is the virtual collapse of the other sections of the site such as Patristics and Liturgics. I hope the materials which were in the Main part are still available.

#11 YvetteC

YvetteC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:14 AM

arbitrary ~ censorship ~ or not.

They should do whatever needs to be done to keep this site from becoming another OCnet type site.

Perfect. 

#12 Aaron R.

Aaron R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

The thread I am referring to is full of Patristic quotes. I am still perplexed why it is locked when other threads are not in the cosmos section.

Oh well.

Peace be with you brothers and sisters.

Aaron

#13 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:30 AM

this topic was locked in Feb of 2013, not because it was controversial, but because those participating in it were engaged in personal attacks and there were no other posts.  If everyone promises to abide by the forum guidelines, it can be reopened.

Fr David Moser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users