92 replies to this topic

#1 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:14 PM

Welcome to the Discussion Community! Please use this thread to introduce yourself to other members of the forum.

#2 Thoumass Stephanou

Thoumass Stephanou

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:53 PM

God bless all.
My name is Tom and I am new to the forum. I was born in England but originate from Cyprus. Raised as a greek orthodox but am continuously learning and living the orthodox ways.
Peace and love with all of you this new year and lets hope we can touch the hearts of non believers so they can find God too.

#3 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:37 PM

Welcome, welcome Tom! Thank God you are here! We look forward to learn from you. :)

#4 Bill Cherry

Bill Cherry

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:13 PM

:)

My name is Bill. I live in Ogden, Utah. Which is a suburb of Salt Lake City.
(Where the Mormons are!)

I'm just a carpenter. I found this forum while doing research for discussions in another forum I am in. (Catholic Answers Forum-I post there as 'That One Guy'-in case anyone is interested)

I found these forums to be very interesting. I think they will be a good supplement to my walk with Christ.

Thank you for allowing me to join. :D

Edited by M.C. Steenberg, 02 January 2009 - 08:19 PM.
Corrected formatting - spaces between sentences

#5 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

Welcome Bill. :)

God bless you.

In Christ our Saviour,
Alice

#6 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

My name is Bill. I live in Ogden, Utah. Which is a suburb of Salt Lake City.
(Where the Mormons are!)

Ogden is a "suburb" of SLC?! Well, if Ogden is a suburb then the whole of Utah must be a suburb of SLC. Oh, and my son (who lives in SLC) tells me that most of the Mormons don't actually live in the city but are in the "suburbs" (Bigger houses, etc, are available and so on) leaving the city itself for the new, mostly non-Mormon, residents. Welcome to the list.

Fr David Moser

#7 Owen Jones

Owen Jones

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

Wasn't Jesus "just a carpenter?"

#8 Theodora E.

Theodora E.

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:26 PM

Hello! I've been lurking and reading here for several years, but finally decided to become a member (I've had a situation come up in my personal life)! I've been Orthodox 5+ years. I'm a member of a lovely OCA parish - very active (I live three miles from church so I've got no excuse to not be there!) - among other things, I'm in choir and just took over the women's group.

Theodora E (aka TE)

#9 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:09 AM

Welcome TE. Glad you came out of the "closet". :)

#10 Josh Sundheim

Josh Sundheim

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

Greetings!

My name is Josh and I'm from Columbus, OH. I've been Orthodox since my Christmation on Holy Saturday 2008. My wife and infant son were baptised that day as well. We attend an OCA parish (heavy on the Russian tradition no small thanks to our Serbian priest, Fr. Miroljub) in Columbus, OH but will be visiting with some of the other local parishes as time allows.

#11 P. Lawrence

P. Lawrence

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

Hello,

I’m Patwin Lawrence and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Originally, I’m from South Carolina, my home state.

I have been interested in Orthodoxy for nearly five years. I was raised in the Baptist Church until about age six and then my family converted to Pentecostalism. In college, I became Anglican. After moving to Minnesota from South Carolina, I left the Episcopal Church for a local Church of Christ. The minister was a former Roman Catholic who always talked about the early church and early church fathers. As a person who loves history (that was my major in college) the early church fathers peaked my interest. After reading the fathers for over a year or so, I went back to the Anglican Church.

As an African-American, a YouTube video answering the question ‘Is Christianity a white man’s religion’ peaked my interest in Orthodoxy even more! Currently, I ‘m reading ‘An Unbroken Circle’ and ‘Wade in the River’ by Father Altschul.

I look forward to learning a lot on this website!

Edited by Fr Raphael Vereshack, 19 January 2009 - 09:21 PM.
removed formatting tags

#12 D. W. Dickens

D. W. Dickens

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:41 AM

I'm a recent convert in Southern California. I am fairly certain that I have little to offer apart from my previous mistakes. I'm not sure I'll do more than lurk. But I deeply appreciate the opportunity to "sit and listen" which is still a sort of participation.

God bless.

#13 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:46 AM

A warm welcome to the several new members of late. May your time here be fruitful!

#14 Davor

Davor

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:03 AM

Hi everyone, my name is Davor, I have known about monachos.net for a number of years and have enjoyed it very much! I really appreciate all the people that have contributed to it as it is truely a unique place on the web.

I would just like to say a few things about myself, I was born in the former republic of Yugoslavia, in Bosnia and Herzegovina, I'm Serbian Orthodox, I am now living in the republic of Armenia as a Peace Corps Volunteer.

The internet here is scatchy to say the least, so I will most likely not be an active poster while in Armenia. I have read numerouse books on Orthodoxy and I am familier with many aspects of the faith and Churhc life, however I would consider myself a novice in faith.

I would also consider myself extreamly lucky as there is a Russian Orthodox Church in the city that I'm living in Armenia, a priest comes once a month (every firist Sunday) from Yerevan and conducts service. Thats it from me for now, I will enojoy exploring the updated monachos site and reading the forums (via my phone, phone internet is really cheap, realiable and widely avaliable in Armenia :cool:)!

God bless !

#15 Penny B.

Penny B.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

Greetings. I grew up a cradle Roman Catholic. I wasn't much of anything for twenty years, and then a nominal Catholic for 18 months. Last night I became a Greek Orthodox catechumen. I am looking forward to learning about the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Patristics, Orthodox Theology, and finding my way in the faith. I am very happy to have a warm, energetic, and gentle Spiritual Father, and an very warm and welcoming church in my town. Also looking forward to reading all these threads here, my priest sent me to this site to explore it. :)

#16 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

Greetings Penny, David, and our other newer members (those who have not yet introduced yourselves - do consider letting us know who you are!). May you feel very welcome here; and all look forward to your participation.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#17 Daniel Harrison

Daniel Harrison

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

Hello,

My name is Nektarios, I am newly returned from the forum after being away for about 4-5 years.
I am an Orthdoox Christian in the Antiochian Archdiocese, I was converted to Holy Orthodoxy,
by our dear hieromonk Father Averky before his blessed repose.

In Christ
Nektarios

#18 Thoumass Stephanou

Thoumass Stephanou

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:32 PM

Welcome all fellow new members. Im sure your stay here will be very pleasant as there are some amazing people on this forum.
In Christ

#19 Pietru Farrugia

Pietru Farrugia

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

Hello all. Having an interest in Orthodox Christianity and the traditions of the Eastern Catholic churches, and, after reading a few threads, I've decided to join these forums. I'm a student in London, originally from Malta; 'Pietru' is Maltese for 'Peter'. Coming from a Catholic country/culture, I don't know much about your traditions in practice (although there is an Greek Catholic community on the island) and so I hope to learn from all of you. Blessings in Christ,

PF

#20 Stephen Wendland

Stephen Wendland

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:35 AM

Greetings all,

I have been following several threads over the past few months and find myself using this site every time that I have a question that I don't want to bother my priest about, which is quite often. I also find the site to be a good starter for research and I look forward to being able to use this valuable resource.
I enjoy the way everything is put together and the tight moderation which adds to it's credibility, thus making this a good place for reliable information on the Orthodox faith. By the way, I have been Orthodox in my heart and mind for about 12 years but was chrismated only 3 years ago along with my family. The depth of knowledge and experience in the church never ceases to amaze me.

In Christ, Stephen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users