92 replies to this topic

#21 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:44 AM

A warm welcome to Stephen, Pietru, and other new members. We all look forward to your participation.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#22 Kseniya M.

Kseniya M.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

Hi, I haven't tried to post yet. I found out about Monachos.net last year from the Orthodox Circle toolbar and just recently joined.

I've been Orthodox since January 1997, currently living in upstate NY with my Greek Catholic husband and our three children, who are mostly getting ready to fly from the nest. Our youngest is looking to join the Coast Guard this fall; our middle son is graduating from college this May and has decided to take a year to get a job and an apartment "to practice being a grownup before going to grad school"; our oldest is on leave from college to sort out emotional difficulties; and I also have an older son from a previous marriage who lives and works in Idaho. I'm just a housewife -- hubby is a systems analyst for a Fortune 100 company.

I recently began to attend the tiny ROCOR parish in my town, mainly because I have severe environmental chemical issues, including a severe allergy to perfume, and practically nobody at the ROCOR parish wears anything strongly scented. I pretty much can't go anywhere else anymore, too many people wear too much perfume and I end up incapacitated.

I like quilting, knitting, and counted thread needlework. I used to bicycle 120 or so miles a week until I fell just wrong and injured a hip, so now I walk with a cane. And that's pretty much everything about me.

#23 Andrew D. Morrell

Andrew D. Morrell

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:58 AM

Thank you, Fr Matthew. This forum has been a daily read: first I lurked, then I joined (a year ago)... and recently, I've even posted. While communicating in a forum is generally not "my thing", this venue has been an invaluable tool, providing many resources as well as leading to many face-to-face conversation starters with my priest, his priest and others older and far wiser in Orthodoxy than I will ever be.

Also, this being what it is - an online forum - I am >amazed< at how little downtime I've seen Monachos suffer! I believe the only recent glitch was the renewal issue (my wife and I went through withdrawal pains). What a testimony to the efforts you and the moderators (all clearly covered by the protection of God)... and all for our benefit.

Again, thank you for all your steadfast and diligent labor. We are blessed beyond measure by this small, illuminated piece of the internet. Truly, you have a teacher's heart.

In Christ,
Andrew

#24 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

A warm welcome to the many new members of late - both those who have already said 'hello', and those yet to do so. We all look forward to your contribution to the community.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#25 Katie L.

Katie L.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:11 AM

Hello! I'm not exactly sure what to say here, but ah well. As you can see, I'm Katie, although my patron is St. Mary of Egypt...I've been Orthodox for about 6 years, though only recently have really decided/confronted/learned about what I believe. So, I'm quite doubtful that I have much to offer in the discussions and such, so I may end up just lurking...some of you might know me from OrthodoXCircle, btw. :)

#26 Clay Bond

Clay Bond

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:12 PM

I was raised (pre-V2) Catholic, and was Chrismated in 1984 in an Antiochian parish. I live now in Pennsylvania, and attend an OCA parish (so does that make me OCA or Antiochian? I wondered when I checked afffiliation.) And my 'n' key is not well, so please excuse missing 'n's.

God bless!

#27 Michael Cook

Michael Cook

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:43 PM

New to the community - but not new to Monachos. My time on this site over the last several years, helped us cross the line to Orthodoxy. I look forward to your friendship and your conversations.

Peace in Christ

Michael

#28 M. P. Howland

M. P. Howland

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

χαιρε!

My name is Matt and I live in the state of Wisconsin, USA. I am not of the Orthodox tradition, however i have a deeply rooted appreciation for your beautiful liturgy. I do like to attend services at the Serbian Orthodox Church as often as i can. I am of the Lutheran tradition, the more conservative kind here in the United States. I am going to be attending Seminary next year. I am well read in κοινη Greek and also Biblical Hebrew. I look forward to participating in and learning from this community.

Peace and Joy in the Suffering Christ,

Matt

#29 Andreas

Andreas

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

hello my fathers and friends in christ
it is an honour and a blessing to find and be a part of such a great community of knowlegable GOD loving people may god bless you and have mercy on me

IC XC
NI KA

andreas

#30 Antanas Blužas OFM

Antanas Blužas OFM

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

Pax et Bonum!

My name is Antanas and I come from Lithuania, where Catholic and Orthodox traditions are living like sisters (sometimes withought people realising it). At the moment I am living in Canterbury, UK and doing MA Theology at the Franciscan International Study Centre. It is my sixth and the last year in UK. I am also a Franciscan Friar. (For those who do not know the Order of Friars Minor was founded by St. Francis of Assisi in 1209). Last year in June I was ordained deacon and now preparing for the ordination to the priesthood.
I came accros this forum quite recently together with Ancient Faith Radio and wonderfull podcasts by Fr. Dcn. Matthew Steenberg, when I was looking for something on the internet. This forum is useful especially for my MA thesis, nevertheless I am sure that I will stay here even when I will finish my academic studies.

God bless you all!
Fraternally yours, Br. Dcn. Antanas Blužas OFM
T

#31 Evangelia P.

Evangelia P.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

Hi All,

My name is Evangelia and I am of greek heritage and baptised orthodox - I live In London UK.
My fiancee and I are due to get married during the summer in Greece and have Orthodox wedding. He is to become baptised and this is part of the reason I joined the community initially, to seek more of an understanding of the process he must go through. We are in regular contact with our local priest too. In the meantime though, this process has really renewed and made my own faith stronger. It has also lead me to take a much more in depth look at traditions I have grown up with and at times, perhaps, taken for granted, it is an exciting journey.

Evangelia

#32 Mike Fulton

Mike Fulton

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

Hello all!

Well it is a long time coming in trying to join after being prodded by my fellow altar server Paul Cowan (thanks Paul!)

My name is Mike Fulton and I have been Orthodox since 2004 where I converted from Roman Catholicism after becoming frustrated with the post-Vatican II church. My wife and I attend St. Joseph's Antiochian Orthodox Church where I serve as a reader and acolyte. I'm also a teacher by profession, instructing students in World Geography, Economics, and US Government.

Recently, I was given a blessing by His Eminence, Metropolitan PHILIP to apply to seminary to begin the path towards priestly ordination. Just a few weeks ago I was given notice from Holy Cross in Brookline, MA of my acceptance. My wife and I plan on making the big move in August so that I can start the fall semester.

My interests include liturgical theology, patristics, Athonite incense production, and 20th century saints (paticularly St. Nectarios of Aegina). I also have a sick fascination with cultology (particulary Mormonism, Dispensationalism, Islam, and the Baha'i Faith), and responding to such beliefs from Orthodox perspective.

Thank you for the welcome. May you all have a blessed Holy Week and a Glorious Pascha.

#33 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:47 AM

Welcome Reader Michael. (It's about time) :cool:

All right ya'll, that's another Texan on board. We're tipping the scales down here. Ya'll need to start promoting out there.

Paul

#34 Owen Jones

Owen Jones

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:48 AM

Dear Mike,

I hope you continue your interests in seminary because people in the pews need to learn more about cultology, because by comparing we learn more about our own faith and are less susceptible to quackery. But I also would encourage every seminarian to realize that all of this learning is not necessarily going to allow you to connect with your people on the feeling level, which is what everyone really wants and needs, and this is a necessary precondition really to learning. What we all really need to know is -- does God or anyone else really love me? Can I be of any use to God? Am I the only one who feels this way? Or do other people have the same struggles? When I am anxious or fearful, or suffer temptations, what should I do, in the practical sense. What kind of practical knowledge can you give me, based on your own experience, for making progress in my spiritual life.

I'm not sure this is really taught in seminary. I think too often seminarians are taught what to believe, and what they need to teach their flock to believe, as if information about it were enough.

ENOUGH OF MY SERMON! May you feel God's presence during Pascha and experience holy tears!

#35 Mike Fulton

Mike Fulton

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:35 AM

Dear Mike,

I hope you continue your interests in seminary because people in the pews need to learn more about cultology, because by comparing we learn more about our own faith and are less susceptible to quackery. But I also would encourage every seminarian to realize that all of this learning is not necessarily going to allow you to connect with your people on the feeling level, which is what everyone really wants and needs, and this is a necessary precondition really to learning. What we all really need to know is -- does God or anyone else really love me? Can I be of any use to God? Am I the only one who feels this way? Or do other people have the same struggles? When I am anxious or fearful, or suffer temptations, what should I do, in the practical sense. What kind of practical knowledge can you give me, based on your own experience, for making progress in my spiritual life.

I'm not sure this is really taught in seminary. I think too often seminarians are taught what to believe, and what they need to teach their flock to believe, as if information about it were enough.

ENOUGH OF MY SERMON! May you feel God's presence during Pascha and experience holy tears!

Well, cultology is only a random interest that I do have. Albeit, useless. :rolleyes: It is right up there with studying bonzai trees.

Ultimately, it is the job of the clergy, as well as the Christian in general, to radiate to other people the things that you spoke of. Helping others see Christ within themselves and "preaching Christ crucified" should be the mission of the Church.

I wouldn't know what seminaries teach as I have yet to attend a seminary.

Christos Anesti!

In the Risen Christ,

Rdr. Mike

#36 Douglas B.

Douglas B.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:57 AM

Christ is risen!

I've been Orthodox for 18 years now (actually, this coming June 4th will mark my 18th year). I was brought into the Church through the Antiochian Church and due to a move am now in the OCA. Although I've been "in" the Church for all these years, I don't feel very knowledgeable about the faith... at least, not knowledgeable enough to make much of a contribution to the discussions. I'm simply here to learn from others. Thank you for allowing me to become a member. Peace be with you.

#37 Guest_Anton_A

Guest_Anton_A
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

Hello. My name is Anton Arkhipov, I am an orthodox christian from Ukraine, Dnepropetrovsk.
I am a volunteer of cancer children's hospital in my town. I look forward to your help in a number of legal and organization issues.
Mu work - computer service, also I am a postgraduate student of Dnepropetrovsk national university.

Sorry for not perfect English.

#38 Jonathan Hayward

Jonathan Hayward

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:26 AM

I would like to introduce myself. I am a former theology student. I was pursuing a doctorate with the intent of being able to help form Orthodox clergy. (It would take long enough that I might be liturgically formed and more Orthodox after the time my studies would take!) I spent some time at Cambridge (I think I briefly met Matthew Steenberg at an IOCS weekend), and then had a considerably rough experience at another university that kept me from obtaining the degree I enrolled for. I am now programming and taking some time to heal, in a job where the Lord has provided richer blessings than I would have thought would ever happen.

I am not in the academia that I sought, but I believe God is at work; if I am now out of academic theology, I am struggling with the theology that is ascesis. And I am continuing to write on my website at JonathansCorner.com.

From my "What's New" page, the last pieces of theology and apologetics are,

I still have a sense that I am reaching for Orthodox theology and not reaching it... but a Protestant friend commented that work such as on my website is "my ministry", and I believe that what I leave behind may be what I am building on my website at JonathansCorner.com, and I invite you to visit.

Христос воскресе! Χριστος ανεστη!

Love, Jonathan

#39 Jonathan Hayward

Jonathan Hayward

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:07 PM

I hope you continue your interests in seminary because people in the pews need to learn more about cultology, because by comparing we learn more about our own faith and are less susceptible to quackery.

One random note: I have, or rather have had, a perhaps-too-major interest in cultology. Part of why I backed off (besides, for instance, the unedifying character of reading heretical documents even if to the end of strengthening Orthodox faith) has to do with an insight I heard many years ago.

When the United States Department of Treasury is training agents from other federal agencies to be able to detect counterfeit bills, they don't show them a taxonomy of telltale cues to recognize all the different fakes because there are simply too many to keep track of. What they do instead is show the agents every intimate detail of real bills until they have come to a point of eating, sleeping, and breathing genuine U.S. Treasury bills, and when an agent who has done that sees a counterfeit bill, it simply looks wrong.

The more time has passed, the more wisdom I've seen in that.

#40 Richard H.

Richard H.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:59 AM

Hello All,

After a few months of lurking, I've finally decided to register. This sort of mirrors my own spiritual journey - after a couple of years of casually reading about Orthodox spirituality, followed by almost a year of dipping my toes into the waters of Orthodoxy, I have recently asked my Parish Priest-to-be to receive me into the Orthodox Church. From toe-dipping, to diving in head first, as it were.

Born and raised as an Anglican (from the separated-but-longing-to-be-reunited-with-Rome end of the Church of England), I have been RC for 19 years. I was about to enter a religious community before God pulled the rug out from under my feet and I'm still wondering when I'm going to hit the ground.

I have some questions about Orthodox theology (the first of many, I'm sure), and my PP2b suggested that Monachos.net would be a good place to enquire, as an adjunct to my catechesis, and so I will go and pore through the archives a little and then get stuck in. And may God have mercy upon me.

Christ is Risen!
Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users